NY midair crash video

i fail to see how anything about any controller is relevant. its VFR uncontrolled there, right?

who cares what the controller was doing.

and the video, eh. call me a desensitized youth, but it really doesnt phase me any to see it. id like to learn/understand the chain of events here, and learn and move on.

seeing it on video doesnt do much for me, or bother me, unless i can learn from it.

it also worries me that fellow pilots are so alarmed by seeing this video. are you so shocked to see that what we do can sometimes be dangerous or fatal?

we are all only a few brief moments away from something like this. come to terms with that, and then use all your professionalism, training, and ability to keep the reaper at bay.

but, do understand what is just on the other side of that fine line....

it also worries me that fellow pilots are so alarmed by seeing this video. are you so shocked to see that what we do can sometimes be dangerous or fatal?

we are all only a few brief moments away from something like this. come to terms with that, and then use all your professionalism, training, and ability to keep the reaper at bay.

but, do understand what is just on the other side of that fine line....
Hit the nail on the head.

Every student pilot should have to watch this. This is what CAN happen to you, if you cant handle that and do everything you can to avoid it then find something else to do.

Most of us have damn near run into another airplane. Lots of us have probably been feet of this happening with out ever knowing it.

That's true, although there are certainly situations where neither pilot would feasibly be able to see the other aircraft - almost looks that way from the video.

"Failure of the pilot to maintain adequate visual lookout."

is what the NTSB report will say. I can't think of a report for a midair in VMC that has ever said anything else.

Makes me glad to fly planes with TIS around here, as there are some things you would never spot without it.

I just don't see how watching nine people die is going to be of value to ME. I don't like that. It's brings me too close to something I know can happen that I feel I am close enough too already.

Everyone's different.

Truth be told, I have a sort of voyeuristic tendency when it comes to this stuff. I don't find it "fun" to watch, but I want to see it.

Everyone's different.

Truth be told, I have a sort of voyeuristic tendency when it comes to this stuff. I don't find it "fun" to watch, but I want to see it.

Thats perfectly fine, I want to see these things too. I learn from it, but I don't take a sick pleasure in seeing people lose their life from their mistakes or unfortunate circumstances.

Most of us have damn near run into another airplane. Lots of us have probably been feet of this happening with out ever knowing it.

HOLY ----!! WHERE DID THAT C130 HERC COME FROM???

said that one before. youd think they would be easy to spot.

Thats perfectly fine, I want to see these things too. I learn from it, but I don't take a sick pleasure in seeing people lose their life from their mistakes or unfortunate circumstances.

Well said.

My closest call happened a couple years ago departing KRUT. Didn't see a chopper until it was nearly right overhead no more than 100'. It was a real wake-up call.

I decided to watch the clip which made me wince. Particularly heart-wrenching is that 3 teenaged boys were involved.

While it was hard to watch, it still pales in comparison to seeing the photos of Colgan 3407 since I lost fellow crewmembers.

:(

When I was reading that 2 controllers were suspended because of this, my first instinct was that someone needed to take the fall...one guy was on his phone so he is as good as any, and the supervisor wasn't there...another good canidate. They will probably be slapped on the wrist and brought back once this whole thing blows over. Plus if the public (who knows nothing) thinks its these 2 controllers fault, then they wont need to change anything, which could be expensive or time consuming. Just my opinion.

Worse comes to worse, the bottom line is see and avoid when you're under VMC conditions, it's your responsibility.

Even if they were under positive control and was given a vector to avoid the traffic, it's still your responsibility because you ultimately pay the price.

I'm not jaded, I've just lost a lot of friends in aviation throughout the years and sadly, most involve a chain of events that the pilot could have rectified before the ultimate price was paid.

Always look for traffic. You could be under positive control on an IFR flight plan in and out of the clouds going into a control-intensive airport like ATL and you'd better still be on the lookout for traffic.

Pilots go NORDO, blow vectors and overshoot runways all the darned time. In that case, it might be a controller error during approach but you're dead and your friends are going to be saying things like "at least he died doing what he loved".

Sadly, the entire event was preventable.

Again, I'm not trying to be crass, but we've got to be more vigilant.

When I was reading that 2 controllers were suspended because of this, my first instinct was that someone needed to take the fall...one guy was on his phone so he is as good as any, and the supervisor wasn't there...another good canidate. They will probably be slapped on the wrist and brought back once this whole thing blows over. Plus if the public (who knows nothing) thinks its these 2 controllers fault, then they wont need to change anything, which could be expensive or time consuming. Just my opinion.

And ATC is responsible for VFR traffic how? You're basing this opinion on what? I take it 14 CFR 91.113(b) means nothing to you?

If nothing else the clip will make you more vigilant for other traffic next time you go up.

And ATC is responsible for VFR traffic how? You're basing this opinion on what? I take it 14 CFR 91.113(b) means nothing to you?

It was just my opinion. I am not saying the controllers are responsible, I just feel like they are taking the fall for it!

Back