NY midair crash video

ATC person talking to girlfriend....lets two aircraft get too close

And explain how he "let" two aircraft get too close in a VFR corridor?

Me-thinks that there need to be more stringent regulations, in multiple places. Like no private cell phones in ATC towers.

Talk about curing the headache by cutting off the head. And this knee-jerk reaction is to accomplish what?

Horrible for everyone involved, pilots, families, controllers, people on the ground who witnessed it. Sucks when it was totally avoidable and comes down to human error. RIP.

Out of curiosity, what is the investigation going to reveal? Even without the video it seems like the findings will simply be that the two didn't see one another. There may be something made of radio calls and what not, but with blind spots as they are, I imagine this will end up being a blameless tragedy.

Out of curiosity, what is the investigation going to reveal? Even without the video it seems like the findings will simply be that the two didn't see one another. There may be something made of radio calls and what not, but with blind spots as they are, I imagine this will end up being a blameless tragedy.

Doubt it will be blameless, as see and avoid still legally applies. Now as to who was in the better/best position to do that more than the other, that's probably whats being looked at.

Doubt it will be blameless, as see and avoid still legally applies. Now as to who was in the better/best position to do that more than the other, that's probably whats being looked at.

That's true, although there are certainly situations where neither pilot would feasibly be able to see the other aircraft - almost looks that way from the video.

Mike D,

I agree 100%. FAA needed someone to take punches and suspending the controller was the easiest way to accomplish that. John Q public has no idea how airspace is controlled. One of the FAA people on MSNBC even said there was nothing a controller could have done if the pilots were not talking to them.

Sucks for all involved.

RIP and blue skies.

Horrible for everyone involved, pilots, families, controllers, people on the ground who witnessed it. Sucks when it was totally avoidable and comes down to human error. RIP.

VERY HORRIBLE INCIDENT- to watch as well. I have a feeling they will try to implement a "3 aircraft in the corridor at a time rule" type of thing one direction only.. etc etc... more more more rules, and possible control times during busy times.. Just my .04... I think it would and wouldn't be a good idea.

Hard to say whats going to happen.

OK, I watched it. Anyone else tired of seeing Greg Feith everywhere? If anyone should know better than to make assumptions, it should be him. It's very possible that the Piper didn't see the helicopter until it was way too late or not at all.

Controller on the phone aside, in the corridor its a CTAF, if they weren't talking to the controller, there was nothing he could have done as far as separation goes.
Exactly. I was about to bring this up. What does a controller have to do with this VFR corridor? Aircraft in the corridor aren't required to be in touch w/ ATC. It's all CTAF down there.

The news about the controller should be something entirely separate from the incident. It just seems like they wanted to blame someone (alive).

Exactly. I was about to bring this up. What does a controller have to do with this VFR corridor? Aircraft in the corridor aren't required to be in touch w/ ATC. It's all CTAF down there.

The news about the controller should be something entirely separate from the incident. It just seems like they wanted to blame someone (alive).

Well I still haven't heard whether or not he was talking to ATC when it happened. If he was, and they failed to mention the helo he was approaching, I would think that would be grounds for some sort of investigation. If he was distracted by a phone call when he should have been providing separation, then you get into the area of negligent homicide. Will be interesting to see how this goes down when the facts come out.

Well I still haven't heard whether or not he was talking to ATC when it happened. If he was, and they failed to mention the helo he was approaching, I would think that would be grounds for some sort of investigation. If he was distracted by a phone call when he should have been providing separation, then you get into the area of negligent homicide. Will be interesting to see how this goes down when the facts come out.

I doubt ATC would, if used at all out there, be providing any separation for VFR vs VFR.

No. I'm not going to watch it. Sorry. I do see your points FOR watching it, but I feel I am already conscience enough about midairs. Watching it may not be disservice, but neither is NOT watching it.

When I was a student at the school I teach at now we had a plane involved in a midair that took the life of both the student and the instructor. I was fairly good friends with one of them and highly respected the other one. The hanging out at the aviation building with almost the entire department somber and quiet, dozens of college kids crying, seeing the wreckage pulled out of the lake, the distraught phone call from my mom at 6 am to ensure I was still alive was ALL I needed in the way of a wake up.

I just don't see how watching nine people die is going to be of value to ME. I don't like that. It's brings me too close to something I know can happen that I feel I am close enough too already.

I doubt ATC would, if used at all out there, be providing any separation for VFR vs VFR.
Exactly. You're under one of the busiest Class B. You'll be lucky if they even talk to you as day VFR. They might be more open to talking to you if it's near midnight. We tried talking to approach one time past that same corridor. They told us to maintain below 500 outside of the Bravo and gave us a polite, "Good Day."

Again, while the controller might be in the wrong for talking on his cell, it has NOTHING to do with this accident. Remember, (I forget how the AIM states it) traffic advisories for VFR traffic is entirely on a workload basis and separation in VFR is ultimately the PIC's responsibility.

I just don't see how watching nine people die is going to be of value to ME. I don't like that. It's brings me too close to something I know can happen that I feel I am close enough too already.

Well, when you number's up, your number's up. Watching something or not watching something won't really make a difference one way or the other in that realm for most pilots.

The Grim Reaper of aviation will come calling at his time and choosing.

Well, when you number's up, your number's up. Watching something or not watching something won't really make a difference one way or the other in that realm for most pilots.

The Grim Reaper of aviation will come calling at his time and choosing.
Agree completely. And I'll be perfectly honest. An accident like this scares me. I mean, I worry about this more than anything else bad that can happen in an airplane. Right now I have that fear and check and it's healthy and keeps me on my toes. Why run the risk of feeding the fear and risking it get out of control. Who wants to fly with a pilot who is obviously shaken?

Agree completely. And I'll be perfectly honest. An accident like this scares me. I mean, I worry about this more than anything else bad that can happen in an airplane. Right now I have that fear and check and it's healthy and keeps me on my toes. Why run the risk of feeding the fear and risking it get out of control. Who wants to fly with a pilot who is obviously shaken?

I guess the one thing that could be had from watching the video would be to reinforce the importance of being vigilant when flying to the best degree possible, to those that need the reminder. To those that already are on their toes and don't need the reminder, no need to see it.

And stuff like this should have a scare factor to it......nothing to be ashamed of. The grim reminder itself that it could be anyone of us in that place, either the plane or the helicopter, should reinforce vigilance.

Again agree. I think obviously miliage varies. I'm sure there are plenty of people who need reinforcement like this. And if that's what they need...then that IS what they need. Nothing wrong with that at all. On the same wagon though, not All of us need it, or care for that kind. I kind of got the impression from one or two that we should all watch it and if we didn't we are doing ourselves a disservice. Very possible I could have misunderstood though.

Back