Number of approaches on CFII checkride?

pscraig

How many approaches are supposed to be flown on the CFII checkride? In reading the PTS, I interpret it as two approaches, TASK A&B to be combined with TASK C,D,&E (partial panel, engine out, etc).

We have one examiner who flies a single-engine ILS (this is in a twin) and then a partial-panel VOR. The other examiner flies a partial panel VOR, single engine ILS and single engine LOC, for three approaches total. I realize the "examiners discretion" prevails, but how are most CFII checkrides conducted?

I did my CFII in a twin, and flew 3. I flew a 2 engine ILS, and a partial panel VOR. The examiner flew a 1 engine ILS. I don't have my PTS near, and I don't remember what it says. I think if it is in a twin though, you have to do 3.

ASEL. I did a partial panel VOR (covered from 200' to after approach which was about 25 minutes), a hold over an NDB, steep turns under the hood in the hold, and then an ILS back home (full panel).

Well, it ended up being a single-engine ILS and a partial-panel GPS approach, a VOR hold, unusual attitudes, steep turns. This aircraft did not have an ADF so I lucked out.

I was suprised at how much the examiner flew, playing the part of a student. I taught the hold and GPS approach while he flew. I did an adequate job (I passed!!) but it illustrated my lack of experience as an instructor.

Thanks, it feels great to be finished. Now I just need to land a job...I'm halfway through the book "Job Hunting for Pilots" and it has some great ideas.

A Multi-Engine IFR check should have four approaches. 2 Non-Prec and 2 ILS, one with engine out.

This is also ATP standards.

[ QUOTE ]
A Multi-Engine IFR check should have four approaches. 2 Non-Prec and 2 ILS, one with engine out.

This is also ATP standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

For just the Multi-Engine add-on to an existing Commercial certificate, all you need to do these days is one single-engine instrument approach.

Back