Now you know: Geo-pref's on application DO matter

propcircles

In response to a frequently asked but never answered question on here, I thought I would let you guys know that geo-pref's on your *original* application DO matter.

During the panels, your entire application from ASAP is looked through. If those people who are selecting applicants determine that you show any inkling of interest in a "focus facility" (one that is grossly understaffed), they may select you for that facility.

*My* conclusion here, based on this info, is that listing "throughout the nation" is *less* effective than listing specific states. Example: You put VA and NC on the geo-pref email, but you already listed NY on your application. If they can fill VA and NC easier than NY, then you will probably get NY. Had you listed "throughout the nation" you would have either got VA, NC, or nothing at all.

This info is based on 2+ months of contacting everyone but santa claus trying to figure out this ridiculous process. It's not *specific* information as specificity goes, but it is credible. Basically, there is no hard/fast rule to any of it, which is why it's so difficult to get any answers or know anything for sure.

Well...its not monday but its funny...

CASEOFTHEMONDAYS.jpg

All information is good information and I am sure it will help someone. My app did not even have those selections so I don't have a clue what yall are talking about.

Thanks for the info, propcircles...

On my application, I selected several locations that I would now rather not be selected for. I also included "throughout the nation" as my last choice. When you first found out that you were selected for Alaska and said you had selected it on your original application but not on the geo pref email, I figured they might have looked at your original app too.

Please keep us updated on how it's going for you, since I'm sure you won't be the last one having issues getting the location you want.

. . .and I encourage anyone to do whatever the crap they want. Not sure why the only 2 responses so far are holier-than-thou "i follow directions" snootiness.

You're making mountains out of molehills. There's nothing snooty about it. I'm just going by the book in my application because ATC is a very by-the-book type of job. I wasn't encouraging people to do anything or slighting your suggestion. It is interesting.

what are you playing safe? you applied for HI and AK you're clueless.

I wouldn't mind moving to either of those two places. Hawaii has always been a dream location of mine. And I have a bunch of friends in Alaska and think it's a great place. We've already discussed this here. Just because you're bitter about having to go to ZAN doesn't mean that everyone else who wants to go there is clueless.

no wonder everyone hates the new people

We've both been here since May 2008 and I have more posts than you do.

Calm down; I didn't mean anything to be insulting. I acknowledged that it was interesting information, but that I'll keep going by the directions.

*sigh* what a waste of time this turned out to be...

There's nothing snooty about it. I'm just going by the book in my application because ATC is a very by-the-book type of job. Good for you. I wasn't encouraging people to do anything nope, other poster did or slighting your suggestion. then what were you doing?

Just because you're bitter about having to go to ZAN doesn't mean that everyone else who wants to go there is clueless. Not bitter at all, but some of us with families have difficult choices to make, which involve financial situations that just dont apply to younger single folks like I can tell you are. (nothing wrong with that by the way) Also because your decisions don't directly effect anyone else, you're "clueless" to why the information presented here is of any real importance. Things like crime, cost of living, etc... are not as important to you as they are to me. Just respect that and go on.

We've both been here since May 2008 and I have more posts than you do. You think i'm talking about this board? I'm talking about ATC of which I include myself in the "new" category. Good for you on more posts.

I acknowledged that it was interesting information, but that I'll keep going by the directions. Then why post at all? This info doesn't apply to you, so don't poo-poo it. I debated whether or not to even waste my time sharing the info, but felt obligated because of who I may possibly help along the way. If it's any consolation, the second post annoyed me more.

Gotta run to work, i'll answer the other comments later

If she doesn't post in response to all of your posts, how is she going to stay ahead of you on post count:sarcasm:

Anyway, I hope they just give me my first choice on my original app and my geo preferences and all the world will be right...

I personally put my own preferences on the app and it looks like I am moving right along with everyone else even though I never put down throughout the nation. I did not read the directions nor do I care to. The choices were pretty self explanatory.

*sigh* what a waste of time this turned out to be...

Look at what you are saying... effectively: "doing XYZ rather than ABC MIGHT have an effect on your application, but this effect is unknown in magnitude or direction"

When the febots started to get their PEPC emails, it DID sound like a few of them got a choice on their ASAP rather than separate Geo-pref email. So yes, perhaps new applicants should thoughtfully fill out the preference part of their application.

I appreciate any and all news, but you're making it sound like you discovered a gold mine. When I interviewed at the NY PEPC, my interviewer had a printout of the ASAP page, which I *think* contained the originial geo-pref (but I'm not sure). Who knows what happened; in the end, we're back where we started here.

Now I HAVE to get picked for the Pub2 announcement. For some reason, I decided to put down some crazy ass places on the Pub4 application. I dont know why I did that, but I have since have changed my mind about the places I listed. I don't want anyone to ever see them.

I received an email from a lady in human resources last week. I emailed her a question when I first applied to the AK and HI pub. I asked her how that application would affect my Pubnat 2 application...

I get a reply just last week...great timing since it already closed...I applied anyways.

Her email read something along the lines of... I apologize for not replying to you sooner. We are experiencing a high volume of calls and emails. She then went on to say that one application does not affect another. She said that the preferences in my applications had NO bearing on the selection process. She went on to say that I would be receiving my geographic preference email and I would have to select two states that I would like to work in. I had already recieved my pub2 geo preference email by the time she emailed me.

I was ticked because she sent it to me after the AK HI Pub already closed. Luckily I found out from someone else that I could apply. Unfortunately, this is the only email I deleted from the FAA. I really wish I would have kept it so I could publish it in this thread.

Edit... I will say that I agree with the original poster... I would think the whole thing is looked at... I would hope so. I am just telling what was emailed to me.

If I recall, the Pubnat2 announcement that I applied to also contained verbage to the effect of "to be selected for the position, you should select Throughout The Nation on the preferences, specific preferences will be chosen at a later date." Which implied that there may even be some consequence to listing something OTHER than "Throughout the Nation" on that list (though I doubt they disqualified anyone from the app process based on that alone).

Sorry OP, you're information was bad. And you're too sensitive, a trait I notice in more and more people as I post on these forums. It's just the internet, you'll survive.

If I recall, the Pubnat2 announcement that I applied to also contained verbage to the effect of "to be selected for the position, you should select Throughout The Nation on the preferences, specific preferences will be chosen at a later date." Which implied that there may even be some consequence to listing something OTHER than "Throughout the Nation" on that list (though I doubt they disqualified anyone from the app process based on that alone).

Sorry OP, you're information was bad. And you're too sensitive, a trait I notice in more and more people as I post on these forums. It's just the internet, you'll survive.

Are you aware that the OP had chosen a few locations on the original application and one of them was AK? When the geo pref email came out, he did not choose AK (chose ID and CO?), however he was selected for a position in AK. Based on that, I would believe that the preferences on the original application are taken into consideration. Do I know it for sure? No, but I wouldn't put it past the FAA.

I know I won't be doing anything the FAA specifically tells me not to do.

Then that's your call. I know many of us chose several locations, including "throughout the nation" so I'm still interested in hearing how things work out for propcircles.

Back