Now you know: Geo-pref's on application DO matter

One thing I am sure of is this: You cannot be sure of anything HR tells you.

I'm really confused why you (fellow cub fan) are still arguing this point based on an email from HR.

Fellow Cub Fan..... STEVE BARTMAN...IS THAT YOU!

Must have been a Cubs fan that selected you to go to Alaska....
quit getting so defensive and oversensitive.... seriously, take a FAA approved chill pill...

:rawk:Go Cubbies...

Do the best of both worlds: put all your favorite spots, and place "throughout the nation" as your very last choice.

Does this have to be brain surgery?

Exactly, but I can see how folks who changed their minds on a specific location could be a little concerned. When I filled out my OTS apps, I filled in the boxes as they read, from 1st preference to last, all the way down to "throughout the US."

Now, call me over-analytical, but could it be that the application process is a bit outdated, and the FAA finds it easier to send a simple "location filter e-mail," aka, geo-prefs, to get two simple, stern answers from each applicant as opposed to a list of ten?

There might be another explanation, the FAA gets confused depending on who you talk to or who your HR person might be. I think the "rules" on hiring and stuff will depend really on who is running it, I could see someone saying lets mess with this person and give him alaska, and everyone getting a good laugh out of it. The truth is there may not be any rules, they look at both your GEO pref, and your asap and look to see where they need people more. Thats my opinion.

Do the best of both worlds: put all your favorite spots, and place "throughout the nation" as your very last choice.

Does this have to be brain surgery?

You need to be reminded this is government red tape. It takes more then brains to figure it out... :yup:
It takes completely forgetting common sense. :banghead:

Now, call me over-analytical, but could it be that the application process is a bit outdated, and the FAA finds it easier to send a simple "location filter e-mail," aka, geo-prefs, to get two simple, stern answers from each applicant as opposed to a list of ten?

Here's needless speculation:
-FAA looks at facilities by state
-panel says: "Let's look at the facilities in Texas..."
-panel says: "okay, mr.contractor that did the GeoPrefs, show me all applicants requesting Texas"
-Contractor hands over list of Texas GeoPref applicants
-panel starts to place people, while looking at their ASAP...
-Panel sees the additional ASAP pref, and perhaps modifies accordingly (or more likely: they're just lazy and throw people at random facilities in the state)

PM577, you're such a dumb ass. It goes like this. They throw all the apps with attached geos in the middle of the parking lot. Then the panel dresses up in their ceremonial picking of the candidates attire. At that point they all join in a big circle around all the apps and they start playing polka music. Once the music stops they all rush into the middle of the circle grab an app, run to their designated file tray and runs back to the original circle. Whoever makes it back last is deemed 'defense'. Their new job is to stand in the middle of the circle and block as many of the panel as they can from grabbing apps on the next round. This goes on until there's only one person left, they choose an app and the game is over until the next panel, all other applicants rejected. I was able to find an exclusive picture of the ceremony (although I'll probably be shot for sharing).

53297844.jpg

PM577, you're such a dumb ass. It goes like this. They throw all the apps with attached geos in the middle of the parking lot. Then the panel dresses up in their ceremonial picking of the candidates attire. At that point they all join in a big circle around all the apps and they start playing polka music. Once the music stops they all rush into the middle of the circle grab an app, run to their designated file tray and runs back to the original circle. Whoever makes it back last is deemed 'defense'. Their new job is to stand in the middle of the circle and block as many of the panel as they can from grabbing apps on the next round. This goes on until there's only one person left, they choose an app and the game is over until the next panel, all other applicants rejected. I was able to find an exclusive picture of the ceremony (although I'll probably be shot for sharing).

53297844.jpg
clap.gif

I want to apply for that job.

Chiming in sort of late on this one, but here's another reason to follow the directions:

While filling out my first app, PUBNAT3, I did just this -- selected a bunch of different places I wanted to go to, and then put "Across the nation" for the last one. After going through about half of the application, I saved and quit, as I needed to go somewhere.

When I came back, I had the hardest time getting ASAP to open up my application to finish it. I could log in just fine, and look at other parts, but when I went to edit the application, the browser would hang for the lonnnnngest time -- I'd usually get logged out for inactivity by ASAP. Couldn't figure out what was going on.

After several calls to both the Careers line and ASAP tech support, we figured out that putting in preferences when the system wasn't expecting it was actually causing it to flip out. I don't understand why it was happening in a technical sense, but OKC told me that I'd need to keep trying to get it to pull everything up, and then remove each location, one at a time, until I only had the first one. They also gave me a hard time about having done that in the first place, because "the instructions tell you to just put 'Across the country'. You get to make your geographical preference choices later."

Oops.

So, moral of the story: Stick with what it tells you to do. We've seen in other threads how minor errors can cause the computer to trash a perfectly good application - so I wouldn't risk it. The rationale here is good, but the timing's off. Save a preference for North Dakota until after the AT-SAT.

Back