Note to self...

Could have sworn we tried that once while on DC external and got nothing. Probably was one of the broken Qs. Or one of the 13 out of 14 that has a plethora of odd simisms that have carried into the actual planes.

Could have sworn we tried that once while on DC external and got nothing. Probably was one of the broken Qs. Or one of the 13 out of 14 that has a plethora of odd simisms that have carried into the actual planes.

Haha yeah if its new it breaks right? I think we are normally on DC ext power when we do it. I was just in MYR and I used SPIRIT'S bug wash and got a ladder and did it myself. 4 days in a row on originating flights, 0 bug washes. In fact, I've never gotten a bug wash, ever....

I was just in MYR and I used SPIRIT'S bug wash and got a ladder and did it myself. 4 days in a row on originating flights, 0 bug washes. In fact, I've never gotten a bug wash, ever....

I know it's frustrating, but I would NEVER, EVER do that myself. Here's why: what if (god forbid) you got hurt on the ladder? Know what the wonderful, penny pinching company is gonna pay for? Zero. Not even worker's comp, much less any doctor bills. Why? B/c you're acting outside the scope of your job.

I go crazy when I see rampers sitting around doing nothing, but even though I did the whole ramp thing myself for years, I fight to make myself NOT touch a bag just in case.

I know it's frustrating, but I would NEVER, EVER do that myself. Here's why: what if (god forbid) you got hurt on the ladder? Know what the wonderful, penny pinching company is gonna pay for? Zero. Not even worker's comp, much less any doctor bills. Why? B/c you're acting outside the scope of your job.

I go crazy when I see rampers sitting around doing nothing, but even though I did the whole ramp thing myself for years, I fight to make myself NOT touch a bag just in case.

I know your right on this one, kellwolf, and its ashame that I have to do it. Trust me I realize that it's not my job to clean the windshield, but I'm not worried about me getting hurt on a ladder. My dad taught me how to fly, and he taught me that when looking for traffic a clean windshield helps. I'd risk being able to look for traffic any day over a bug filled windshield. To me it's a safety thing, not a scope issue. And yes, I'd love to vote on a contract that will have this crap in it. The problem with our rampers is that we have to get the jetway pulled back before we can shut our door to get out on time. Mainline doesn't, they can just close the door whenever without the jetway pulled back. I send a text message to dispatch every single leg we don't out on time and explain to them why the ground crew screwed up and what should be done about it. I'm going to start getting names of ground crew too, its getting ridiculous and dispatch asks the pilots why the flight is late, not anyone else... I'm sure they hate me...

My dad taught me how to fly, and he taught me that when looking for traffic a clean windshield helps. I'd risk being able to look for traffic any day over a bug filled windshield. To me it's a safety thing, not a scope issue. And yes, I'd love to vote on a contract that will have this crap in it. The problem with our rampers is that we have to get the jetway pulled back before we can shut our door to get out on time. Mainline doesn't, they can just close the door whenever without the jetway pulled back.

CRJ is the same way. Jetway pulled back, rampers have to put the rails up, then the FA can close the door. Simple matter is, if it's a safety of flight issue, delay the flight. Period. If your vision is obstructed, then you can't fly the airplane safely. If the company gives you crap about it, I'm sure the FAA would LOVE to hear they wanted to write you or fire you b/c you wouldn't fly an airplane in an unsafe condition. Not sure what you guys have over there to protect you from the company's retribution yet, but that's would I would do over here.

Once you start delaying flights, they'll come running with the ladder, a spray bottle, a water hose or whatever else they can get their hands on.

Well, I'm expecting a new memo now and a misnumbered addendum to go into my paperback FOP held together with Aluminum tape and a sign to be put into each Q saying not to open the Escape hatch unless in emergency. YAY!

Sweet. Glad the Saab CFMs aren't the only effed up ones. I love how my page 2-6 and 2-7 are the exact same as each other. Except one is revision 7 and one is revision 9. I also love how the place that printed these out didnt hole punch them right, so when you flip the pages they rip!

-Rob

CRJ is the same way. Jetway pulled back, rampers have to put the rails up, then the FA can close the door. Simple matter is, if it's a safety of flight issue, delay the flight. Period. If your vision is obstructed, then you can't fly the airplane safely. If the company gives you crap about it, I'm sure the FAA would LOVE to hear they wanted to write you or fire you b/c you wouldn't fly an airplane in an unsafe condition. Not sure what you guys have over there to protect you from the company's retribution yet, but that's would I would do over here.

Once you start delaying flights, they'll come running with the ladder, a spray bottle, a water hose or whatever else they can get their hands on.

We started getting memos about bug washes a couple weeks ago, simply because a Fed was in the jumpseat and he bitched about the lack of bugwashes. The first memo was, "we are currently in dispute with CAL over who washes the windshields". Then it was, you can get bug washes at these airports, but not EWR. Then it was, every originating flight of the day should have clean windshields (i've never had 1), including EWR. My guess? Colgan never planned or even thought of it, so here we are unprepared like so many other things on the Q. Things have improved some the last 4 months I've been here, slowly but surely. But cmon, a freakin bugwash ain't hard to do and doesn't take long.

Sounds like having the door with stairs and the rails that have to be removed away from the jetway really slows crap down. Blame it on the pilots! :bandit:

I know your right on this one, kellwolf, and its ashame that I have to do it. Trust me I realize that it's not my job to clean the windshield, but I'm not worried about me getting hurt on a ladder. My dad taught me how to fly, and he taught me that when looking for traffic a clean windshield helps. I'd risk being able to look for traffic any day over a bug filled windshield. To me it's a safety thing, not a scope issue. And yes, I'd love to vote on a contract that will have this crap in it. The problem with our rampers is that we have to get the jetway pulled back before we can shut our door to get out on time. Mainline doesn't, they can just close the door whenever without the jetway pulled back. I send a text message to dispatch every single leg we don't out on time and explain to them why the ground crew screwed up and what should be done about it. I'm going to start getting names of ground crew too, its getting ridiculous and dispatch asks the pilots why the flight is late, not anyone else... I'm sure they hate me...

Being a former ramper myself... I had to step in one to many times to get the gate check bags for the pax or close the door myself because two green FA's are in the back of the Q playing around.
I have since given up that duty. Also I know its sad to say but it will be only a matter of time before some ramper gets killed in EWR for not watching that prop. Just last week while shutting down the Q and waiting for DC power we had a ramper remove all the bags from F1 by himself with the #2 still spining. That happen twice! I have seen it first hand what a prop can do to a person in HOU. MU2 prop+Ramper to close= pool of blood!:bandit:

Being a former ramper myself... I had to step in one to many times to get the gate check bags for the pax or close the door myself because two green FA's are in the back of the Q playing around.
I have since given up that duty. Also I know its sad to say but it will be only a matter of time before some ramper gets killed in EWR for not watching that prop. Just last week while shutting down the Q and waiting for DC power we had a ramper remove all the bags from F1 by himself with the #2 still spining. That happen twice! I have seen it first hand what a prop can do to a person in HOU. MU2 prop+Ramper to close= pool of blood!:bandit:

You've got good points, and i'm sure that stuff happens a bunch. I have never gotten the load paperwork before I got the flight attendants count. Most of the time the captain and I have been sitting there for at least 5 or 10 minutes with nothing to do while waiting on the load manifest so we can close up and get outa there. Occasionally the girls will have to recount the numbers, but not too often. I'm not trying to say the rampers are lazy, i'm sure they have to wait on a bunch of stuff that keeps them from proceeding as well. But it is the ground crew that normally makes us late, not the flight crew, but we get blamed. For instance, in Pit last week we had 2 minutes to get the door shut, the captain looks over and not a single bag had been removed from the jetway. Lame

Sweet. Glad the Saab CFMs aren't the only effed up ones. I love how my page 2-6 and 2-7 are the exact same as each other. Except one is revision 7 and one is revision 9. I also love how the place that printed these out didnt hole punch them right, so when you flip the pages they rip!

-Rob

Awesome. I see they've outsourced the same crappy company to do Colgan's manuals that does Pinnacle's manuals. My theory is they should give us a yellow paged FOM and make the revisions white. That way, we'll eventually have an all-white paged FOM. You can't turn 5 pages of that thing without hitting a revision.

And, speaking of Seggy.....I got to see him for the first time as a Q Colgan Captain in the EWR crewroom last night. He does the uniform proud! :bandit:

As an added bonus, Snuggle was my FO on my GSO turn. Nice to finally meet you, Snuggle! :)

I look forward to flying with these 2 JC'ers in the not too distant future! :nana2:

Back