Norwegian expansion

What onerous regulations?

People won't care until it effects them. Then suddenly they start crying. Typical attitude in America. For most people t's all about "consumer freedom" until it comes to THEIR job sector, then they want the government to get involved. But most people are too ignorant to give a crap and be proactive about REALLY protecting American jobs.

So, I take it you've never used Lyft or Uber, since that's exactly what they're doing to the cab industry right now?

Can you blame the traveling public for trying to get the best value for their money?

Personally, I want to go to London on vacation next summer. I live in Phoenix. My options are to pay one of the legacies(probably AA or BA) way too much money to sit in a sardine can of a 10 abreast 777 economy cabin, or I can spend less, schlep on over to LAX, and fly Norwegian's pseudo premium class and be exponentially more comfortable. That's not a tough decision.

You know the person flying the jet you're going to be on is probably unable to afford his own product.

You know the person flying the jet you're going to be on is probably unable to afford his own product.

Up until about 3 years ago, how many first year regional F/Os could afford a ticket on their own (legacy's) product?

Up until about 3 years ago, how many first year regional F/Os could afford a ticket on their own (legacy's) product?

I'm not sure I see your point. So regional pilots, being unable to afford their legacies product three years ago, makes Norwegians low rates ok today?

I'm not sure I see your point. So regional pilots, being unable to afford their legacies product three years ago, makes Norwegians low rates ok today?

Eh, admittedly it was an oversimplification. Back then the travelling public knew about it, and yet it never factored into anyone's decision-making when it came time to buy a ticket from "the sticks" to "far afield."

Eh, admittedly it was an oversimplification. Back then the travelling public knew about it, and yet it never factored into anyone's decision-making when it came time to buy a ticket from "the sticks" to "far afield."

I still don't agree with your point, reason being is that no one went out and said "I want to purchase a ticket on Republic to fly to Houston. I want value".

I still don't agree with your point, reason being is that no one went out and said "I want to purchase a ticket on Republic to fly to Houston. I want value".

The point being "I'm getting the value I want for this ticket, I realize the pilots up front are making poverty level wages, but that's not my problem." That's unfortunately why Norwegian is going to fill their airplanes.

As a consumer, I'm not sure why I would care.

(I completely understand why the industry dislikes Norwegian and from that perspective, I do agree. I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate from the role of your average pax that doesn't give a hoot what the crew is paid.....)

Well, enjoy!

I've only got less than 20 years left so I'm on the "downstroke" of my career, so justify it as much as you'd like because I really don't have to live long with the heft of the consequences.

But if I was up to me, they wouldn't be in the market.

Well, enjoy!

I've only got less than 20 years left so I'm on the "downstroke" of my career, so justify it as much as you'd like because I really don't have to live long with the heft of the consequences.

Yeah I don't condone it and I don't make any plans on getting stuffed into that carbon fiber sardine can any time soon.

And again, I don't disagree. I find their labor practices to be incredibly questionable(incorporating in Ireland to defeat Norway's labor friendly laws and hiring cabin crew out of southeast Asia so they can pay them dirt) and the way they've manipulated their ownership to circumvent cabotage laws is nothing short of disgusting. It truly is the Wal Mart of airlines.

Costco makes me happy.

Except for their electronics department as they don't have the remotes for their television displays.

I'm a software nerd. My Vizio television has software that was written by some airlines IT department.

Competition is generally good for consumers. We've seen in the last year Delta and United rolling out new Premium cabins to compete with foreign carriers, and this is a good thing. The problem I foresee is trying to compete at both ends of a huge market. If US airlines try to cut costs to compete with LCC's they will fall to the same fate as American. They have a great seat and hard product, and incredibly poor, cheap and nasty soft product. They lose both ends of the market.

As a consumer, I'm not sure why I would care.

(I completely understand why the industry dislikes Norwegian and from that perspective, I do agree. I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate from the role of your average pax that doesn't give a hoot what the crew is paid.....)

At the supermarket today and standing in line, this particular location doesn't have the self-serve checkouts; the guy in front of me asks the check out girl when this location will get self-serve checkouts because each line is packed with people with a cart load of items and he only has a few. Man, you would've have thought he had insulted the check out girl's entire family! She comes back with "hopefully never! It'll take my job!!"

His reply? "Yeah well, so when are the self serve check outs coming to this location then?"

way too much money to sit in a sardine can of a 10 abreast 777 economy cabin, or I can spend less, schlep on over to LAX, and fly Norwegian's pseudo premium class and be exponentially more comfortable. That's not a tough decision.

The premium flex rate is $1362.00. That's two weeks from now.

image.png

I threw in random dates in July when I posted that and it was ~$1660 RT vs $1790 RT on the direct BA PHX-LHR. (I'm not making two connections on Icelandair which was the only cheaper option)

And that as for coach? The price for the Norweigan flight was OW and they go to Gatwik, not Heathrow.

That's a pretty good price for a non-stop to LHR.

If I non-rev to LHR for free, I still have to pay over $200 (RT) in fees, it ain't cheap but man, I wouldn't wish LGW on my worst enemies.

Back