NoPolitics: Airplanes you like that no one else does

I need some rich friends in this hemisphere.

The 400 is an excellent aircraft, other than the Mexican ones that weren't glued together quite right.

That said, $200K buys you a nice pretty nice Bonanza.
Eh, the 400 (and SRs) were kitplanes pencilwhipped into production. Cessna bought Columbia figuring that it was cheaper than bringing the 210 up to Part 23 standards. Then they discovered the emperor had no clothes. If you have a good Columbia it’s a great airplane. If you have a bad one...well last I heard there was still a lawsuit going over window cracks. Every plane was basically hand built just like the Lancair kits.
Cessna engineering is a bit like old Soviet fighter jets. To develop an airplane that can consistently be built by rednecks takes about the same amazing engineering as what the Soviets pulled off with their duct tape and bailing wire Mach 3 fighters. And to get the TTx there took a lot of money and effort. The known icing airplanes (2049 onward) are what the plane should’ve been all along. And still had a lot of work left to get it to the same standards as the high wing aircraft.

Eh, the 400 (and SRs) were kitplanes pencilwhipped into production. Cessna bought Columbia figuring that it was cheaper than bringing the 210 up to Part 23 standards. Then they discovered the emperor had no clothes. If you have a good Columbia it’s a great airplane. If you have a bad one...well last I heard there was still a lawsuit going over window cracks. Every plane was basically hand built just like the Lancair kits.
Cessna engineering is a bit like old Soviet fighter jets. To develop an airplane that can consistently be built by rednecks takes about the same amazing engineering as what the Soviets pulled off with their duct tape and bailing wire Mach 3 fighters. And to get the TTx there took a lot of money and effort. The known icing airplanes (2049 onward) are what the plane should’ve been all along. And still had a lot of work left to get it to the same standards as the high wing aircraft.

Even if it had no issues, it was bound to fail, another case of Cessna not understanding the market and the eccentricities of aircraft owners.

Guys that owned a 172 or 182 didn't want to buy a 400 and have to tell friends they bought another Cessna that wasn't a jet.

Even if it had no issues, it was bound to fail, another case of Cessna not understanding the market and the eccentricities of aircraft owners.

Guys that owned a 172 or 182 didn't want to buy a 400 and have to tell friends they bought another Cessna that wasn't a jet.
Cessna went from having an amazing professional piston sales and marketing team to using it as the JV squad for fresh college grads that wanted to sell jets.

Aeroboero 115 (AB115), likely the most hated aircraft in South America. It's the one in my profile pic.

And while I was on Partenavias, kind of bummed out I never had the opporunity to fly the turboprop version, the Spartacus. If I remember right there's only about 4 of them running around the US.
spartacus.jpeg

Huh. Funny.

There's a Turbo Commander near where I teach. And all the guys I've talked to that fly it hate it. Granted, it's a sample size of 3, and I got the impression that it was that specific airplane they hated rather than make/model, but there you go.

Reactions: KLB
Huh. Funny.

There's a Turbo Commander near where I teach. And all the guys I've talked to that fly it hate it. Granted, it's a sample size of 3, and I got the impression that it was that specific airplane they hated rather than make/model, but there you go.

It's one of the first turbo props I got to see up close and walk inside of the flight deck. So it's special to me. It also has garretts. That kicks it up a notch.

It's one of the first turbo props I got to see up close and walk inside of the flight deck. So it's special to me. It also has garretts. That kicks it up a notch.
Guys I know who flew the Turbo Commode said it was a fine airplane, but the ones they flew were old and poorly maintained so constantly broken.

Reactions: KLB
Back