"No Problem May Be A Problem"

and if you ever wondered why i would retire early from a $ 180,000 a year job, is because of this and other dumb sheet FFA BS. i refused to write up anything and plead ignorance when confronted. life is tooo short.

You guys do realize that the best way to combat this is to overwhelm the system and give these wankers exactly what they want. When they conclude this mentality is not manageable due to the shear volume of paperwork it will generate it will go away fast. Every pilot union needs to grab this and advise everyone of it's members to file one ASAP per trip. It'll take about 6 months and this goes away.

I applaud our brother and sister controllers that refuse to play this game. We are on the same team and the same side with the same goals.

Just due to the operation at Pinnacle, I was tickled to death when I could complete a trip and not have to file at least one ASAP or company report.

As far as the RNAV DPs, at DL you have to have lateral course deviation displayed when you're flying them. So having the autopilot on doesn't really matter that much since you're flying that .5 L or R deviation tolerance regardless of automation level.

On the other hand, Pinnacle requires their pilots to have the AP on during RNAV departures. Because we all know the autopilot on the CRJ is so accurate and infallable. Having your pilots to be button pushers instead of pilots is much more important that understanding and being able to apply all levels of automation, right?

You guys do realize that the best way to combat this is to overwhelm the system and give these wankers exactly what they want. When they conclude this mentality is not manageable due to the shear volume of paperwork it will generate it will go away fast. Every pilot union needs to grab this and advise everyone of it's members to file one ASAP per trip. It'll take about 6 months and this goes away.

Although I was at the national ASAP symposium a few months ago and spoke with a bunch of people that work with ASAP programs at other carriers, I can only speak for one company.

You could file an ASAP report for each leg and this would not change a thing.

The ASAP report is to cover you and none of it ever reaches the ATC facility unless tapes or radar plots are requested for a certain event. All that would happen as a result of more pilots sending in ASAP reports is the ERC meeting itself takes a little longer to review them. No big deal.

The type of thing you are talking about though, is just coming to a complete stop on a taxiway until you are 100% certain of the entire clearance, even if it is at a place where they do not even let you read it back such as ORD (in the taxi clearance example anyway).

Ironically I flew a trip that went through ATL a few times a couple weeks ago and we crossed one runway and we were lined up with the ramp we needed to get to with exactly one little taxiway intersection to get through on the way to the ramp. We both decided we shouldn't really just go to the ramp until ground says so, even though it was obvious we were good to go. We stopped and set the brake until there was a chance to get a word in to the controller.

Of course, we got clearance into the ramp in a very pissed off tone. Guess what -- next time, I'm stopping and setting the brake again.

Ironically I flew a trip that went through ATL a few times a couple weeks ago and we crossed one runway and we were lined up with the ramp we needed to get to with exactly one little taxiway intersection to get through on the way to the ramp. We both decided we shouldn't really just go to the ramp until ground says so, even though it was obvious we were good to go. We stopped and set the brake until there was a chance to get a word in to the controller.

Of course, we got clearance into the ramp in a very pissed off tone. Guess what -- next time, I'm stopping and setting the brake again.

I might be more cowboy than most, but even im with you on that. The problem is, even though it might be SOP at that airport, if thre is some freak mishap, guess whose head is going to be on the chopping block?

Back