News - Bad day with a new KA

That's my point exactly; he didn't turn around because there was no need to turn around because he didn't plan a PNR!

If he HAD planned a PNR he would have noticed that he didn't have the fuel to get to his destination! The crossing point would have brought the lack of fuel to his attention, well before it was too late. OR, he didn't have a clue how to operate the fuel pumps and no amount of fuel would have kept this plane from taking a bath......

You're right on the ETOPS, most GA flyers don't use the procedures; please disregard.

If you just flew over highways all the time, then wouldn't that be better 'cause you would always have a place to land? :sarcasm:

Ok, Im going to play the ignorance card here: Flying in the Caribbean? Sketchy? Please explain (and yes I'm assuming dates and names have been changed to protect identities yadda yadda...)

Here's a riddle...
#1) If you don't fill the nac tanks first, how much can you be short in a 90?
#2) If you don't turn on the pumps, how much fuel won't transfer to the nac tanks?

#1 + #2 = ????????
Is the answer to your riddle your screenname by any chance?

Anyone else think this when they see the thread title?

images

Ok, Im going to play the ignorance card here: Flying in the Caribbean? Sketchy? Please explain (and yes I'm assuming dates and names have been changed to protect identities yadda yadda...)

Lots of the aircraft that fly there are way past their useful lifespan so it is very possible you are flying something that will fall apart around you. Also, lots of the operations out there will fly into IMC while not on a flight plan or fly wrong VFR altitudes or fly between VFR altitudes. The airspace (especially between Florida and the Bahamas) is very crowded and people pretty much do their own thing.

If I had to pick a place to ditch a plane, it would be Aruba. The snorkeling alone is worth it>

Lots of the aircraft that fly there are way past their useful lifespan so it is very possible you are flying something that will fall apart around you. Also, lots of the operations out there will fly into IMC while not on a flight plan or fly wrong VFR altitudes or fly between VFR altitudes. The airspace (especially between Florida and the Bahamas) is very crowded and people pretty much do their own thing.

The absolute worst is Haiti... Dear god, I haven't been to anywhere worse than that.

The airspace (especially between Florida and the Bahamas) is very crowded and people pretty much do their own thing.
Riding right seat in a King Air from Florida, we almost ran over a Cessna 185 that cut us off on final into MYAM. No radio calls, no nothing, just bouncing around doing his own thing. Saw him on TCAS and went around after realizing he was making his own rules. After the fact he called us a jackass on the radio, because we were going too fast, go figure. Gotta love the Caribbean.

Any one out there flying a new 90KA? It has been at least 20 year since I flew a 90 but if I remember right you had turn on some fuel pumps to get the fuel out of the inboard tanks.

Interesting insight I picked up over the weekend:
This was not an oversight of not operating the pumps correctly.......
Guess these guys picked up the plane from Wichita for a non-stop to Ft Lauderdale, FL (FXE). They landed short of thier plan due to low fuel and took on just enough fuel to make it to FXE. THEN at FXE ordered so little fuel that the lineman questioned thier order. It soon became a discussion at the desk of the FBO with the employees trying to talk the pilots into taking on more fuel!

The pilots won this battle but apparently lost the war!!

Back