New Squawk?

CapnJim

I've always wondered what the reasons were that we are sometimes issued new squawk codes. Is it just not enough codes to go around, or are there other reasons?

Different sectors and different facilities use, and or often assigned, different squawk codes. Some facilities will assign codes based on what you're doing in the airspace (transitioning it or terminating within it), who you're talking to (43xx may be talking to east feeder, 53xx may be talking to departure, etc), while some are completely random. All depends on who you're talking to. Everyone has a different policy. Also, it's just implausible to assign a single code to everyone in the entire NAS. Too many planes, not enough codes.

Thanks dave! I knew the last reason was part of it, but I didn't have any idea that codes were assigned based on sector. Good info, and thank you for taking part in this!

Anyone know what code 7777 is for? I was told once in college but I just can't remember. I think it had something to do with the Military.

Back