New Ground Service Agent with QX

The Roaming DXER

I just got hired on with Horizon at PDX as a Ground Service Agent. I have worked the ramp before and kind of know what is going on below the wing. I do heart good things about Horizon and its parent Alaska. What to expect and how are they as a company?

I really can't say as an employee, but I'm Gold 75K, and have 1.3 million miles in my FF account. I think the customer service is generally quite good, on average. Since Covid, I've notice the moral is lower, and the service standards a bit lacking. Less food in first, only beer and wine and no cocktails, ect. That safety commercial that was on during the super bowl is awful. I keep hearing that song in my head and it won't stop.

AS/QX is still serving beer and wine on their E175's and Q400's. On United they are not serving any alcohol in Y but they are serving the full range of adult beverages in F. I just dont understand this at all. United should allow people to buy alcohol in Y just limit it to one or two purchases. Airlines are leaving some seriously big amounts of ancillary revenue on the table while still moaning about their daily cash burn. To me any money coming in helps. The airlines that return as close to normal to the pre-COVID days will be the winners while airlines that have used COVID as an excuse and stay COVID obsessed to cut costs and stay that way will suffer more losses and market share. Its sad actually as United was my favorite airline to fly as my mother was a Flight Attendant for 25 years there and really embodied the longtime "Fly the Friendly Skies" slogan and was proud to be associated with that. The flight benefits did not hurt either ;)

Last edited:
Well, after 10 days with Horizon, I resigned from them as a Ground Service Agent. I just did not feel right after two days of on the job training at PDX. Came to the realization that I am probably too old to work the ramp especially with all of the young folks on the ramp there and after working from home for the past several years I was not ready and maybe never ready to go back to punching a time card and having to work out in the elements. Also I kind of felt just a bit too overqualified for the ramp and all of the security stuff these days that is a necessary evil unfortunately has sucked the fun out of the airline business.

You'd probably do better at a small station like Wenatchee. They do everything from counter to bags to deicing. Sounds like you were just slinging bags with a bunch of kids. I couldn't do that for very long either.

Most definitely I think I would have done better at a smaller station like EAT, YKM, or RDM. My last airline gig was with Boutique Air at the rather small town Show Low, AZ airport. It may have been too much of a culture shock to go from SOW to PDX in more ways than one for me.

Most definitely I think I would have done better at a smaller station like EAT, YKM, or RDM. My last airline gig was with Boutique Air at the rather small town Show Low, AZ airport. It may have been too much of a culture shock to go from SOW to PDX in more ways than one for me.
Have you considered working for an FBO? If I ever ended up really hard up for work I'd do it again.

Back