New front page

I approve!

From tinkering with Shockwave myself, I can say that setting up menus like that take a super long time to do. I want to applaud Doug for taking the time to do that! It looks fantastic!!!!!

Nice job, Doug!

You guys are still up? haha! I tried to do this while everyone's sleeping!

Thanks for the kudos! now it's going to bed late to work out some bugs I've discovered after going 'live'.

I figured I'd stop designing for those bums using Win 95 with a 640x480 monitor.
smile.gif

Glad you guys like it!
smile.gif

I'm still working on the forums and it's slow going...

I had to axe the 'swoosh' because everytime I vacuum the floor, it reminds me of a Kenmore logo.

The new front page looks great Doug! I really like the quick picks into the forums right from the front page. I think I will miss the news headlines a little bit but I think you said it was costing you too much for the functionality...

I imagine you want some feedback and help troubleshooting the new stuff, so I will tell you that I was unable to post when I clicked on a specific forum topic directly from the front page. I had to go back to the front page...choose "Enter Jetcareers Forums".. and then choose the topic in order to be able to post. Seems like a weird glitch...just trying to help...

Yeah, my newsfeed went from "free" to a request for $500 to turn them back on.

Besides, most people just go to the forums anyway so might as well make it easier for people to see what's up!
smile.gif

BTW, please excuse the forum mismatch, I'm still working on it so it might look a little "goofy" for a few more days until I work out some stylesheet issues.

And considering the fact that I'm a web design neophyte, my "use a bigger hammer" approach just makes me take longer to get done what needs to be done.

[ QUOTE ]
What a pleasant surprise Doug!. It looks very professional.

Which software did you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use dreamweaver for html coding, flash for the menu, and fireworks for the graphics.

Those are expensive. I just have 1 suggestion right now. To get more space and reduce the bandwith usage try to make the .JPG files to .GIF they look exactly the same and take up like 10 times less space.

And a question. What is the Difference between Fireworks and Adobe photo shop for graphics?

[ QUOTE ]
I just have 1 suggestion right now. To get more space and reduce the bandwith usage try to make the .JPG files to .GIF they look exactly the same and take up like 10 times less space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. GIFs only use 16 colors. If you have a high quality JPG, converting it to GIF will lose quite a bit of quality. Further more, if the colors used are not the 16 that GIF uses, it will mix the 16 colors to try to match the JPGs color. This actually makes the GIF file larger than the JPG because the matix used in maching the colors is quite complex, and you still lose quality. Try converting a photograph into a GIF and you'll see what I mean. But, if you have a lower quality image using only the 16 primary colors, then it will take up quite a bit less space, and would look just as good as a JPG.

I use a mix.

On the main pages, the upper titlebar is a single .gif

But in the forums, it's actually a .GIF and a .JPG with a background color to match the "blend/fade"

Doug-front page looks great! The only thing is where you introduce yourself is a little hard to read since the background is almost white. Otherwise looks excellent
wink.gif

Back