New Dispatcher FAQ

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and looking for some information. Previously I worked in public safety as a first responder. Unfortunately the body has started to give up on me a little and I have decided to find another gig. Was looking into dispatching and have started looking at schools. I love in Florida a d Sheffield would be then most convenient for me. My problem is unfortunately there financing. I have recently completed my FAFSA and have been approved for financial aid, but I have not been able to locate a school that will accept it. Does anyone have any insight on a school or program that I could make work? Thanks for your time.
Can look at Schools and they list all the schools. Usually though only school I found that accept financial aid are the community colleges which are few since most programs are private and dont accept financial aid. I will be going to Aircraft dispatcher Academy in Utah that does in house financing which you could try as well if nothing else works out.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and looking for some information. Previously I worked in public safety as a first responder. Unfortunately the body has started to give up on me a little and I have decided to find another gig. Was looking into dispatching and have started looking at schools. I love in Florida a d Sheffield would be then most convenient for me. My problem is unfortunately there financing. I have recently completed my FAFSA and have been approved for financial aid, but I have not been able to locate a school that will accept it. Does anyone have any insight on a school or program that I could make work? Thanks for your time.
Try and get a credit card with something like 12 month no interest rate.

Check out Polk State College. They are a community college and in Florida.

I had to do mine through sallie mae. No idea if that is typical or not.

I don’t seem to understand this seemingly simple concept that we’re learning right now. If the ZFW is heavier than expected and thus will burn more fuel (or aircraft got reassigned to a lower altitude and is going to burn more fuel) then to me you’d have to bring out the fuel truck and add fuel to the min total but we’re learning that you’re able to just deduct fuel out of the contingency fuel on the flight plan if safe to do so....I’m puzzled.

I don’t seem to understand this seemingly simple concept that we’re learning right now. If the ZFW is heavier than expected and thus will burn more fuel (or aircraft got reassigned to a lower altitude and is going to burn more fuel) then to me you’d have to bring out the fuel truck and add fuel to the min total but we’re learning that you’re able to just deduct fuel out of the contingency fuel on the flight plan if safe to do so....I’m puzzled.
Contingency fuel is simply extra fuel that you deemed essential for some reason during the planning phase. It's not required fuel per the FARs so as long as you and the Capt are in agreement in moving a portion or all of it into extra that would then allow it to be used for trip fuel to accommodate your lower altitude or heavier payload.

As who’s who said, you can just lower your contingency fuel, which is part of the reason it’s there, for unexpected things like this.

If you think you’re going to hold, like you could expect to 2 months ago going into LGA, then you may want the fuel truck to top you off.

If the extra burn takes 750lbs and you have 1,500lbs, extra planned, you could now have 750lbs and be legal, just move it from Extra to Burn.

From 14 CFR § 121.647 - Factors for computing fuel required.

121.647 Factors for computing fuel required.
Each person computing fuel required for the purposes of this subpart shall consider the following:

(a) Wind and other weather conditions forecast.

(b) Anticipated traffic delays.

(c) One instrument approach and possible missed approach at destination.

(d) Any other conditions that may delay landing of the aircraft.

For the purposes of this section, required fuel is in addition to unusable fuel.

----

The fuel required in 121.647 is contingency fuel and is factored in the minimum fuel number since it is technically "regulatory" fuel (although wind and the one approach/missed approach requirements are normally factored into trip fuel). If the dispatcher or pilot feels that some of that contingency fuel isn't necessary, it can be moved into extra fuel ("below the line").

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and also completely 'green' in aviation field.
I'm aware of everything happening in the industry, but my desire to become an aviation dispatcher is stronger than ever.
I'm hoping to attend Sheffield school this fall ( I live pretty close to it, plus it seams like a tough, but good school).
Meanwhile I want to prep myself and learn everything that I can.
I already learn weather theory(from FAA book), can read METARs , PIREPs, TAFs (still struggling with NOTAMs, but I'm getting there).
Also I'm planning to buy Sheppard ADX prep app and take my time with practicing + learning.
Obviously flight planning is the most important part, but I can't find any good information about it! Just small pieces that are not helpful at all.
My question is - what else can I do? Any recommendations as far as books, apps, videos, simulators, etc - highly appreciated.

P.s. do I really need to learn all regulations???:oops:

Thank you for your time!

Hi there!

I'm aware of everything happening in the industry, but my desire to become an aviation dispatcher is stronger than ever.
I'm hoping to attend Sheffield school this fall ( I live pretty close to it, plus it seams like a tough, but good school).
I already learn weather theory(from FAA book), can read METARs , PIREPs, TAFs (still struggling with NOTAMs, but I'm getting there).
Also I'm planning to buy Sheppard ADX prep app and take my time with practicing + learning.
Obviously flight planning is the most important part, but I can't find any good information about it! Just small pieces that are not helpful at all.
My question is - what else can I do? Any recommendations as far as books, apps, videos, simulators, etc - highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Sheppard air

[It soun
Hi there!

Thank you for your time!

It sounds like you are doing great and probably doing more than most to prep. Don’t over stress yourself. Unless you have an experienced friend who can help you learn to flight plan, I wouldn’t confuse yourself with the details. Use the shepherd program over and over. It works, not to learn so much, but to pass the written. If you commit yourself to the course, you will be fine.

[It soun

It sounds like you are doing great and probably doing more than most to prep. Don’t over stress yourself. Unless you have an experienced friend who can help you learn to flight plan, I wouldn’t confuse yourself with the details. Use the shepherd program over and over. It works, not to learn so much, but to pass the written. If you commit yourself to the course, you will be fine.
Thank you!

ADX test prep?

Sheppard Air is undoubtably the best product. Follow the study tools/guide and you'll pass easily with 1-2 weeks worth of effort. Pro tip: on test day, wake up 3-4 hours early and run through all the questions one more time. And if you have mobile access, get to the testing center an hour early and run through the questions again in the parking lot on your phone/iPad before going in. I took the ADX last month and what I saw was mostly questions (probably 85%) in the Aerodynamic, Regulations, and Weather sections.

Which school to attend after passing ADX?

Sheffield. Bar none. I attended this year, and it is the real deal. The instructors are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and have been in the industry for decades. The curriculum is super in-depth and very challenging. Do not expect to breeze through (especially if you do the Distance +5 Day Course). My advice is to do the Online + 2 week course but if you're brand new to aviation/dispatching with virtually zero experience, do the full length 5 week course in person.

ADX test prep?

Sheppard Air is undoubtably the best product. Follow the study tools/guide and you'll pass easily with 1-2 weeks worth of effort. Pro tip: on test day, wake up 3-4 hours early and run through all the questions one more time. And if you have mobile access, get to the testing center an hour early and run through the questions again in the parking lot on your phone/iPad before going in. I took the ADX last month and what I saw was mostly questions (probably 85%) in the Aerodynamic, Regulations, and Weather sections.

Which school to attend after passing ADX?

Sheffield. Bar none. I attended this year, and it is the real deal. The instructors are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and have been in the industry for decades. The curriculum is super in-depth and very challenging. Do not expect to breeze through (especially if you do the Distance +5 Day Course). My advice is to do the Online + 2 week course but if you're brand new to aviation/dispatching with virtually zero experience, do the full length 5 week course in person.
Mike,

I'm a Sheffield alumnus, and you're 100% right! I did the five weeks. I studied four to five hours a day Mon-Fri, and I did six hours a day on the weekends. On the weekends, I did a three hour session, went for lunch, then did a second three hour session. I used to like going to this Peruvian restaurant, Las Cholitas, on the weekends; that was the highlight of my week! In Sheffield's housing, they have a book for new students; part of it deals with how to be successful at Sheffield. I followed their study recommendations, and I they worked.

For the ADX, I used the set of pdfs that Sheffield gives you access to when you sign up. Though I used Sheppard Air, it didn't really click with me; I used it mainly for memorization questions. Anyway, I went through all their pdfs before I got there. Once there, I spent one hour a day of ADX review, and spent the other 3-4 hours to study classwork. Then, I did a MARATHON review session on Saturday before taking the ADX. I took it on the Sunday before week 3. The day before, I must've reviewed like 8-10 hours, which I did in three shifts. My ass was SORE from sitting so much! I was SO GLAD to get that monkey off my back! If I had to do it over again, I'd have gotten the ADX out of the way before starting school. Anyway, I liked Sheffield's study materials a lot, and that was a big reason why I chose the school.

The thing I liked about Sheffield's ADX prep materials was that they went far enough beyond memorization that one could UNDERSTAND the question. If one understands something, one can reason their way through it; even if you freeze up on test day, you can reason your way to the answer. Sheffield also provided references for each question, so if you wanted to dig deeper, you could. I thought that their study materials were simply outstanding! They were a major reason I chose to go there.

I can't believe it's over three years since I finished though. How time flies...

I'm very excited to see so many new faces around the forum. Those of you that are a touch scared to post, don't worry. We don't bite, I promise!

Most of you getting into this field have a ton of questions, many of them similar so allow me to point you to some posts that will answer some of your most asked questions!

1. Where should I go to school?

This is a highly personal question and the answer is whatever school works best for you. There is a great discussion tucked here in the forums. Take a look at this posting.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/where-to-go-to-dispatcher-school.176244/

2. Where can I get a job?

There are not as many airlines in as many locations as their used to be, however there is at least one within each region of the country and many more flight departments. Take a look here.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/where-exactly-can-a-dispatcher-work.192199/

3. Can I commute?

Can you? Yes. Should you tell an employer in an interview you plan to? Probably not. Is commuting a awesome lifestyle? Your Decision. Good points each way found here.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/commuting-as-a-dispatcher.174201/

4. Where can I find job postings?

Go straight to the airlines website for the best source. However there are some good search engines out there. A ton of great information in this post.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/where-to-look.180281/

5. How long will it take to get that first job? When will I get to a major?

The first job is the hardest to get. Expect an average of 3-5 years experience to get to a major airline Check this awesome post.
http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/interested-in-dispatch.192697/

I hope this gets you all started down the path to dispatching. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask! We have a lot of knowledgeable people here from major airlines, regionals, supplemental airlines, corporate flight following, you name it. Welcome to the boards!

Hi
Hope you are doing well.

I am an Indian, settled in Dubai and I am looking forward to study Flight Dispatching from Sheffield or IFOD.

I was looking to work in Dubai as soon as i finish my course. Would I need to convert the FAA license to GCAA license before I can start working in Dubai?

Also I would like to know if countries would accept FAA dispatcher license without any conversion to their local license?

Thank you

Should I make a linkedin profile?
Probably. Even if you don't post pictures of yourself on it, it's still a great networking tool. Aviation is a small industry and there are many people I know and worked with in many other airlines who recognize a name here and there and sometimes that's all it takes to get an interview (or be rejected if the person didn't like you). Everybody knows everybody and you don't want to leave a negative impression with people.

Back