New Dispatcher FAQ

I'm just curious:
How many of you dispatchers have a private pilot's license? Would having one be helpful for dispatch? I'm wondering because I have a huge passion for aviation, and have recently started flying lessons, but it's not what I thought it would be. In your opinion, is dispatch a good way to foster that aviation passion?

I hope you do stick with it and get your pilots license as well. I think a major advantage to having it, or some flying experience as a dispatcher is being more understanding of what pilots are dealing with, and perhaps a better sense of urgency. I had the opportunity to spend some time with a dispatcher that was on medical leave as a pilot and had gotten his ADX certification until he could go back to flying, and he was really great at anticipating needs and doing quite the thorough job of understanding what his own frustrations were with dispatchers out there. Like all jobs, there are some that do their jobs incredibly well, and others that loathe it, do the minimums, and frankly don't do their jobs well, but somehow stay in it for seniority and because they are protected from being let go, I guess. It's a little puzzling to be honest.

My Dad has issues with the type of plane he was being trained in when he was working to get his pilots license, he wasn't a fan of the high wing, so he moved to a Piper and the rest is history. Don't get discouraged. I am sure you will find your best fit regardless...you just need more time and patience. :)

I hope you do stick with it and get your pilots license as well. I think a major advantage to having it, or some flying experience as a dispatcher is being more understanding of what pilots are dealing with, and perhaps a better sense of urgency. I had the opportunity to spend some time with a dispatcher that was on medical leave as a pilot and had gotten his ADX certification until he could go back to flying, and he was really great at anticipating needs and doing quite the thorough job of understanding what his own frustrations were with dispatchers out there. Like all jobs, there are some that do their jobs incredibly well, and others that loathe it, do the minimums, and frankly don't do their jobs well, but somehow stay in it for seniority and because they are protected from being let go, I guess. It's a little puzzling to be honest.

My Dad has issues with the type of plane he was being trained in when he was working to get his pilots license, he wasn't a fan of the high wing, so he moved to a Piper and the rest is history. Don't get discouraged. I am sure you will find your best fit regardless...you just need more time and patience. :)
@Avgirl do you have a pilot's license?

@Avgirl do you have a pilot's license?

Nope. I chickened out. I know it well having passed the written but never did flying lessons. Total missed opportunity when my Dad had his own planes I could have borrowed. Never say never. My Mom accomplished more than I did on that front, stopping before flying her last solo cross country flight just missing getting her license. She was so close! I love aviation and those long cross country flights with my Dad taught me a ton. When you forget a book, and only have manuals and charts to read, or when your Dad is thankfully getting his IFR and needs quizzing, you can't help but learn. :)

Nope. I chickened out. I know it well having passed the written but never did flying lessons. Total missed opportunity when my Dad had his own planes I could have borrowed. Never say never. My Mom accomplished more than I did on that front, stopping before flying her last solo cross country flight just missing getting her license. She was so close! I love aviation and those long cross country flights with my Dad taught me a ton. When you forget a book, and only have manuals and charts to read, or when your Dad is thankfully getting his IFR and needs quizzing, you can't help but learn. :)
Oh I see. It does make me feel better knowing that not everyone here is a pilot!
Thanks!

Oh I see. It does make me feel better knowing that not everyone here is a pilot!
Thanks!

It's definitely very possible to be a good dispatcher without having a pilot license (although some pilots might beg to differ on that.) Biggest advantage I can see is early in your career, as @Avgirl said, knowing more about what their job entails. At this point I've been dispatching long enough to have a pretty solid understanding of that but it took time to develop.

What's it like having CASS and being able to jumpseat in the flight deck? Is it as good as a benefit as it sounds?

What's it like having CASS and being able to jumpseat in the flight deck? Is it as good as a benefit as it sounds?

It's good in that it's an extra way to get where you want to go when the flight is full, but if by good you mean exciting, I would say that the novelty quickly wears off. Nice view, though. Seat comfort varies by plane. So far the comfiest one I've been in (by far) was on a 747-400.

It's good in that it's an extra way to get where you want to go when the flight is full, but if by good you mean exciting, I would say that the novelty quickly wears off. Nice view, though. Seat comfort varies by plane. So far the comfiest one I've been in (by far) was on a 747-400.

LARGE COW ... B--... uhh. WHATEVER.

;)

There is no "novelty" to being a giddy little kid with a nack for photos and a love for flight! You ..just gotta get to know your crews and not be weird about it.

27 going on 16? Only when I get excited about planes. :rolleyes:

And regarding seat comfort, I was on a 330 not long ago, the Philly guys were taking a bone-dry, one-off and empty 330-200 from Philly to Charlotte and DHing home. It was an AWESOME experience for me and another guy on go-home day. The conversation up front went something along the lines of:

"Hey you guys want to see what these puppies can do?"
"...we HAVEN'T done full-rated power in a while, huh."
(On the numbers) "alright let's hit it. Max power please"
"max po-80 knots."
"VEE O-"
"ROOOOOTTTAAAAAATE!!!!!!"
"TWENTY TWO POINT NINER FAHV CYYYAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Those Airbus seats aren't exactly known for being kind to legs, but BOY were my feet in my face for that one.

And regarding seat comfort, I was on a 330 not long ago, the Philly guys were taking a bone-dry, one-off and empty 330-200 from Philly to Charlotte and DHing home. It was an AWESOME experience for me and another guy on go-home day. The conversation up front went something along the lines of:

"Hey you guys want to see what these puppies can do?"
"...we HAVEN'T done full-rated power in a while, huh."
(On the numbers) "alright let's hit it. Max power please"
"max po-80 knots."
"VEE O-"
"ROOOOOTTTAAAAAATE!!!!!!"
"TWENTY TWO POINT NINER FAHV CYYYAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Those Airbus seats aren't exactly known for being kind to legs, but BOY were my feet in my face for that one.

thank God you didn't get one of these

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/etihad.asp

empty planes can be pretty light

I have 3 hours logged so far. One of the things that steers me away is that I can't seem to really relax and enjoy the flying because I am so busy controlling/operating the aircraft. Also, something just seems inherently dangerous about GA flying to me. I know it's probably an irrational fear, but I can't seem to shake it off!
If you can afford flying, I would absolutely recommend staying with it. It only looks better to employers. The airline I'm with has hired several people who have pilots licenses, or at least experience flying. For me, I feel it gave me a large advantage as far as ADM goes. I know what type of things to look for when I fly, and what the decision process is like being in the air. There's a good reason for us being required to do fam flights. That's not to say you can't develop the same skill sets and knowledge without it, it'll just take more time. As for nervousness, almost everyone is nervous at first. When I was in flight training, I loved it, but I definitely couldn't relax at first either, due to being utterly overwhelmed. It'll become second nature to you, and you'll learn how to fly relaxed. For your questions about being a quick thinker, dispatch pushes you in a way you have most likely not been pushed before. I think most people are overwhelmed when they first start, but after a while you become more familiar with the process, and more practiced in things required for it. Think of both like driving. When you first started, you were thinking about every little thing you did, but now you do it almost automatically.

Also, there are days where I wish I finished flying, but there are also dispatchers who prefer dispatching to flying. I would say to finish private before you decide whether to pursue dispatch instead.

Ultimately I guess you should ask yourself, do you want to get paid to work, or get paid to play angry birds for hours?

Last edited:
If you can afford flying, I would absolutely recommend staying with it. It only looks better to employers. The airline I'm with has hired several people who have pilots licenses, or at least experience flying. For me, I feel it gave me a large advantage as far as ADM goes. I know what type of things to look for when I fly, and what the decision process is like being in the air. There's a good reason for us being required to do fam flights. That's not to say you can't develop the same skill sets and knowledge without it, it'll just take more time. As for nervousness, almost everyone is nervous at first. When I was in flight training, I loved it, but I definitely couldn't relax at first either, due to being utterly overwhelmed. It'll become second nature to you, and you'll learn how to fly relaxed. For your questions about being a quick thinker, dispatch pushes you in a way you have most likely not been pushed before. I think most people are overwhelmed when they first start, but after a while you become more familiar with the process, and more practiced in things required for it. Think of both like driving. When you first started, you were thinking about every little thing you did, but now you do it almost automatically.

Also, there are days where I wish I finished flying, but there are also dispatchers who prefer dispatching to flying. I would say to finish private before you decide whether to pursue dispatch instead.

Ultimately I guess you should ask yourself, do you want to get paid to work, or get paid to play angry birds for hours?
Thanks for such a thorough response! In terms of stress and lifestyle, would you say that dispatch is better than airline piloting? Or is it the other way around?

There's a reason pilots have a high divorce rate. Being away from home that amount of time causes stress in all but the strongest families. At least with Dispatch you're home every night.
That's a good point!

Thanks for such a thorough response! In terms of stress and lifestyle, would you say that dispatch is better than airline piloting? Or is it the other way around?

For me dispatching is better - but it's an individual choice. Some people love flying and can't conceive of not being a professional pilot. I'm not a pilot (private or otherwise) but I like my job and being home every night after work, as @Luigi mentioned. Pilot pay is higher at the top end, but dispatchers at the majors do quite well financially and have a lot of time off (with opportunities for overtime.) For what it's worth, I know of at least two former regional airline pilots that are dispatchers where I work...along with at least one former lawyer. Certainly, the barrier to entry in becoming a dispatcher is much lower in terms of cost and time, and it's good experience to have even if you later decide to fly professionally instead.

There's a reason pilots have a high divorce rate. Being away from home that amount of time causes stress in all but the strongest families. At least with Dispatch you're home every night.
Not trying to be contrary, but the dhigh divorce rate among pilots is somewhat exaggerated. It's actually not really high, roughly 10%. Granted, everyone is different, and all relationships have individual needs.

Here's kind of a random question, but does a dispatcher see every airplane in the air on their map screen, or do they only see the flights that they have released?

I don't know directly what the life of a pilot is like, as I've never lived it, but I do know quite a few pilots. Experiences are vastly different depending on the type of flying and carrier you work for. I have two examples. One friend who works for a regional, and his schedule is all over the place. One day show up and 9, fly a bunch of legs, layover, fly a red eye, etc. Or sometimes you get the early early morning flights and have to show at 3 or 4 am. He also tells me about days where he has layovers where is fiancée and kid come visit, which would be cool.
Granted, life as a reserve dispatcher is pretty hard, and you have no regular schedule, and depending on existing work rules, can be expected to work anything legal, meaning endless mandatory overtime, only 8 hours off in between shifts, or rotating shifts, and some carriers have awesome schedules that pretty much any line is solid.
Anyway, the other is a guy who flies for a Legacy carrier, doing international trips on the 767, and he basically goes on an 8-12 day trip every month, sleeps in every day, bums around Europe, comes home, and is off the rest of the month, all while making ridiculous amounts of money. I also one time talked to a domestic legacy pilot who claimed he did 3 or 4 day trips every week, and that it got pretty tiring being away from home and commuting so much. He was about to retire and said he was definitely ready for it. He was also military, so being away from home wasn't anything new for him.

There are also some carriers that have you home every night, for example, I've heard Hawaiian pilots on the 717 are island hopping all day and are home every night, and that allegiant has schedules that consist of working on an every other day basis, and you pick evenings or mornings.

In closing, both careers have strong points and weak points. I think dispatch is a bit more stable, but it depends on how well you deal with possible sleep deprivation and changing schedules, as well as travel, which can be emotionally and physically stressful.

Here's kind of a random question, but does a dispatcher see every airplane in the air on their map screen, or do they only see the flights that they have released?
The software we use has the ability to do all you just mentioned. You can have filters on that only show what you have released, all company flights, all flights in an area, all flights pertaining to an airport, etc.

Back