New Dispatcher FAQ

Thank you for pinning this to the top, it is very useful. I am retiring from the Navy in about a years time and then I will be pursuing a career in the Dispatch Field. I have been reading the threads and have had a lot of my questions answered by doing so. The only question that I would like to ask is if any of the more experienced Flight Dispatchers have ever agreed to mentor some of us that are looking at making the entry into this field?

Thanks again for posting all this information for people like me to read.

Take Care,
Rex

Last edited:
Hello,
I have been reading the links that were linked with the questions, found them really helpful. I'm ending my contract with the army soon and been looking into being a flight dispatcher. I'm curious how interviews are for flight dispatchers, are they any different from any other job or are you given an oral examination of your flight dispatcher knowledge?

Hello,
I have been reading the links that were linked with the questions, found them really helpful. I'm ending my contract with the army soon and been looking into being a flight dispatcher. I'm curious how interviews are for flight dispatchers, are they any different from any other job or are you given an oral examination of your flight dispatcher knowledge?

Largely depends on where you're interviewing but it's common to be given a written test containing questions about weather and navigation (generally approaches and landing minimums) and also an oral examination of fundamental Dispatch topics (more weather and critical thinking/situational response problems).

This will DEFINITELY be the case for any major airline and almost every regional airline. Smaller 135/121 Supplemental shops may elect not to do a written or oral examination and may decide to go with more of a plain vanilla interview style. You don't necessarily need experience to be able to pass a Dispatch Interview test but you do need to have studied in preparation. Experience definitely helps but if someone doesn't know the fundamentals then they're wasting their time as a number of airlines require you to get a certain score on the written test in order to proceed to the interview.

Largely depends on where you're interviewing but it's common to be given a written test containing questions about weather and navigation (generally approaches and landing minimums) and also an oral examination of fundamental Dispatch topics (more weather and critical thinking/situational response problems).

This will DEFINITELY be the case for any major airline and almost every regional airline. Smaller 135/121 Supplemental shops may elect not to do a written or oral examination and may decide to go with more of a plain vanilla interview style. You don't necessarily need experience to be able to pass a Dispatch Interview test but you do need to have studied in preparation. Experience definitely helps but if someone doesn't know the fundamentals then they're wasting their time as a number of airlines require you to get a certain score on the written test in order to proceed to the interview.

Thank you for your reply. I also found a post on interviews on this forum. I have a lot to study. I have some basic knowledge from taking flight lessons and working as a cargo operation agent for a major foreign airline.

Thank you for your reply. I also found a post on interviews on this forum. I have a lot to study. I have some basic knowledge from taking flight lessons and working as a cargo operation agent for a major foreign airline.

I don't want to come across as obvious, but I can't help but be compelled to mention based on the verbiage of your last reply. A dispatcher is a certificated airman, you MUST have a dispatch license from the FAA to dispatch in the Part 121 environment.

Apologies if you already knew that. :)

I don't want to come across as obvious, but I can't help but be compelled to mention based on the verbiage of your last reply. A dispatcher is a certificated airman, you MUST have a dispatch license from the FAA to dispatch in the Part 121 environment.

Apologies if you already knew that. :)
Yes i do know, thank you:) . Im thinking of attending jeppesen. I just meant that i have a lot to learn in a short period.

It has been a long time since school and it seems some of my weather skills have degraded, if there is anyone here who wouldn't mind me asking a bunch of probably very stupid questions on weather charts please PM me.

Does having an accident or incident and 709 ride on your FAA record affect being hired as a 121 dispatcher? Even if it was from 15 years ago when you were a private pilot and you've since become a commercial pilot with 3500 hours violation -free?

Does having an accident or incident and 709 ride on your FAA record affect being hired as a 121 dispatcher? Even if it was from 15 years ago when you were a private pilot and you've since become a commercial pilot with 3500 hours violation -free?

I don't think it should, no. I will defer to people who are pilot dispatchers though, as I've never flown recreationally.

It all depends on whether or not the airline checks airman records. With pilots I know they are required by a FAR to compile all safety information including all check rides, all accident reports, and all relevant safety information. As far as I know there is no FAR requiring the same level of checks on Dispatchers.

Guys would you mind providing those of us who are about to get grilled (ADX) a short list of things we should MEMORIZE? Thanks.

Sheppardair as stated above, MEMORIZE the memory aid they give you. I think you can even access the memory aid sheets for free on their web page. I just took the ADX last week, and I can say their study program made life much easier. I did still study my butt off though. Nothing can substitute good hard studying.

Hello,
Any one heard about Online flight dispatcher course ?
It's 6 months online (156)hours followed by one week classes)
They told me no background needed , but i still confused and uncomfortable if i can take this course without instructor!?
Need help .

Distance Learning + 5
Accelerated Course
(Online training followed by 1 week residency training)

If this is the Sheffield course than it is legitimate. The FAA has yet to sign off on a 100% online option for any school as far as I know.

As far as your situation, if you have no prior aviation experience then I wouldn't consider any type of shortened or blended learning course. Instead opt for a 5 week residency course.

Hello, MT
Do you mean sheffield online course not acceptable from FAA?
I found another course like flamingoairnet , anyway i can't attend resistance course ,and i have short information in aviation.

Back