New Delta international route

Just got back from Amman, Jordan. Very cool. Arrival takes you right over Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. Great trip.

An 1:05 turn? That seems pretty quick after a flight that long? Is that normal or is there a good reason to limit ground time over there?

"Delta’s service between Atlanta and Monrovia will operate once weekly as follows"

Probably get there on a Monday, leave on a Tuesday or something like that...

An 1:05 turn? That seems pretty quick after a flight that long? Is that normal or is there a good reason to limit ground time over there?
Any time that plane isn't moving, it isn't making them money. 1:05 isn't a bad turn, depending on the loading. I imagine that's a fuel for pax trade to get over there, so it's probably decently light. I could be completely wrong though.

My flight to Amman was 12.5 hours. 1:45 hrs later it pushes back for JFK! They are unbelievable machines, aren't they?

Interesting... with once weekly service and a short turnaround time, crew deadheading perhaps?

CAL schedules 1:30 as the min turn time in Europe for a 757.

They wouldnt be able to DH a crew to Liberia and have them fly back in the same turn because the duty day would be too long. Have fun on a one week layover:D

Unless there are more routes to be added with a Sal Island tech stop;).........

Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso maybe?

Theoretical scenario similar to those good ol' PanAm days I hear about :bandit:...

Crew A ATL-Sal Island then layover (roughly 9 hours)
Crew B Sal Island-ROB-Sal Island
Crew A Sal Island-ATL

Based on the schedule on the website, 9:10 on the ground isn't long enough for a layover once you include brief and debrief. I don't know what Delta uses, but that eats 1:30 of the layover at CAL.

With another flight or two that stop at Sal Island the trip would look like (2 crew):
ATL-SID
SID-MLW-SID
SID-ATL
With 24+ hours in SID. With one more Sal Island flight the trip would take 8 days to complete, with 2 more it would be down to 5 (one) or 6 (two).

If there arent anymore Sal Island flights then they probably would do (3 crew):
ATL-SID-MLW
MLW-SID-ATL
with a 7 day layover in Liberia, for a total of 8 days away.

It would be cheaper for the company to put on a third pilot than to pay the trip rig for a 2 week trip with 2 pilots.

Do not mess with texas!!!!!!!

Maybe this is why you should not mess with Texas:

chewi-green-card.jpg

This is great news! My dad works in the Liberian gov't and I heard about them trying to get Delta service months ago but I didn't know it would happen this quick. Its exciting to know I can non-rev to my birthplace but I know with one flight a week that flight will always be full.

Hopefully additional flights will be added soon. I also hear CAL is looking into flying to Monrovia as well. Looks like Roberts Field will soon return to its Pre-Civil war days when it was graced by several major airlines. Monrovia was one of the more popular overnights among Pan Am pilots.

Back