New Delta international route

B767Driver

Just got back from Amman, Jordan. Very cool. Arrival takes you right over Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. Great trip.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
An 1:05 turn? That seems pretty quick after a flight that long? Is that normal or is there a good reason to limit ground time over there?

Seggy

"Delta’s service between Atlanta and Monrovia will operate once weekly as follows"

Probably get there on a Monday, leave on a Tuesday or something like that...

Scandinavian13

An 1:05 turn? That seems pretty quick after a flight that long? Is that normal or is there a good reason to limit ground time over there?
Any time that plane isn't moving, it isn't making them money. 1:05 isn't a bad turn, depending on the loading. I imagine that's a fuel for pax trade to get over there, so it's probably decently light. I could be completely wrong though.

B767Driver

My flight to Amman was 12.5 hours. 1:45 hrs later it pushes back for JFK! They are unbelievable machines, aren't they?

GQ007

Interesting... with once weekly service and a short turnaround time, crew deadheading perhaps?

OldTownPilot

CAL schedules 1:30 as the min turn time in Europe for a 757.

They wouldnt be able to DH a crew to Liberia and have them fly back in the same turn because the duty day would be too long. Have fun on a one week layover:D

Unless there are more routes to be added with a Sal Island tech stop;).........

Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso maybe?

GQ007

Theoretical scenario similar to those good ol' PanAm days I hear about :bandit:...

Crew A ATL-Sal Island then layover (roughly 9 hours)
Crew B Sal Island-ROB-Sal Island
Crew A Sal Island-ATL

OldTownPilot

Based on the schedule on the website, 9:10 on the ground isn't long enough for a layover once you include brief and debrief. I don't know what Delta uses, but that eats 1:30 of the layover at CAL.

With another flight or two that stop at Sal Island the trip would look like (2 crew):
ATL-SID
SID-MLW-SID
SID-ATL
With 24+ hours in SID. With one more Sal Island flight the trip would take 8 days to complete, with 2 more it would be down to 5 (one) or 6 (two).

If there arent anymore Sal Island flights then they probably would do (3 crew):
ATL-SID-MLW
MLW-SID-ATL
with a 7 day layover in Liberia, for a total of 8 days away.

It would be cheaper for the company to put on a third pilot than to pay the trip rig for a 2 week trip with 2 pilots.

Trip7

This is great news! My dad works in the Liberian gov't and I heard about them trying to get Delta service months ago but I didn't know it would happen this quick. Its exciting to know I can non-rev to my birthplace but I know with one flight a week that flight will always be full.

Hopefully additional flights will be added soon. I also hear CAL is looking into flying to Monrovia as well. Looks like Roberts Field will soon return to its Pre-Civil war days when it was graced by several major airlines. Monrovia was one of the more popular overnights among Pan Am pilots.