New cessna single engine speed record

LOP and with the cowl flaps 1/4 open.

You gave away 10 kts right there.

Actually LOP at 15.6 GPH was only giving me 75% rated power. I wasn't really looking to break records at the time. If I had been, I would have boosted FF up to about 17GPH for 80% power. CHTs would still have been under 380 and I'd have had more speed.

1/4 cowl flaps don't add much drag but they do keep CHTs down.

I routinely run 80- 85% power LOP. When this speed happened I was actually running at a rather low power setting (75%) for me.:)

I run LOP to go fast and save fuel.

As George Braly would say..."It's not how hard you run the engine,
- - - it is how you run the engine hard!"

That's a great website; I've never seen it before. Are there any parameters (like level flight, cruise configurations) that have to be met or can you just point the nose down and shock-cool the core of it while you snap the photo?

:laff:

Well, since I know who you are, about all I can say is:

It's a 210.

No surprise.

The 210 once held an altitude record, (the kind that many jets cannot get to) and now it holds a GS record.

Now we'll have the Bonanza pilots come in foaming at the mouth!;)

That's a great website; I've never seen it before. Are there any parameters (like level flight, cruise configurations) that have to be met or can you just point the nose down and shock-cool the core of it while you snap the photo?

To my knowledge there are no rules. My particular record was in level flight. There is a straight leg 182 record that many have pointed to as being hinkey...338 Kts. :rolleyes:

I had a rider fiddling with the 430 a week ago in the 208 and we saw the max speed was 347...I thought that was impressive. That kinda speed in a PISTON single is....unreal.

Wow.

-mini

It's a 210.

No surprise.
You know, its funny how people don't believe what 210s are capable of.

Mine (1967 T210G) is certified to 30,200 feet, but I have to show people the POH before they will believe me.

Or that I can true out at 200+ in level flight below 12000 feet.
Or that with the right conditions I can peg the VSI in a climb.

You know, its funny how people don't believe what 210s are capable of.

Mine (1967 T210G) is certified to 30,200 feet, but I have to show people the POH before they will believe me.

Or that I can true out at 200+ in level flight below 12000 feet.
Or that with the right conditions I can peg the VSI in a climb.

As Loubetti pointed out a 67 T-210G once made it to 43,699'. I thought that record still stood for a piston single.

http://www.cableairport.com/history/hwalter.htm

Lou, did someone break that record?

I need to dig through my old pics. Apparently I hold the caravan record and in level flight (the other guy who is #1 was descending), #2 on the Navajo 310. and #1 on the cessna 150. I would have the mooney 231 record as well, but have no pic.

This website is based upon photos people took of handheld GPS's while in flight? What other verification is required? Time over a course or what?

As Loubetti pointed out a 67 T-210G once made it to 43,699'. I thought that record still stood for a piston single.

http://www.cableairport.com/history/hwalter.htm

Lou, did someone break that record?

Yes, but...

From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_altitude_record

The highest altitude for horizontal flight without a payload is 14,301 m (46,919 ft) set on November 15, 2003 by Bruce Bohannan flying his Bohannon B-1 driven by a Mattituck/Lycoming IO-540 (350 hp) engine over Angleton, Texas

The Bohannon B-1 is a modified RV-4.

0321148.jpg

So, it is safe to say that if one only considers certificated production aircraft then the 210 still holds that record!

This website is based upon photos people took of handheld GPS's while in flight? What other verification is required? Time over a course or what?

It's nothing official, just the internet equavilant of guys sitting around a hangar telling stories.

"I once saw 85 kts in a curttis jenny!"

Back