New Camera Search

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Alright fellow traveling photogs, I need help deciding on a 'everyday carry' camera. I've been wanting a new 'everyday/travel' compact for quite some time and have endlessly read reviews, poured over specs and even rented. Yet I'm still very much undecided. The current everyday carry is an older Sigma DP1s which I do like but it's slow and not great in low light. In short, I'm looking for a packable travel camera to serve as an everyday carry that meets the following criteria...

• must be compact, budget around $1,000
  • main mission is weekly urban exploring on trips, secondary camera when the Fuji X-T1 is brought along
  • macro'ish and/or focus stacking capability for Photo Lego Dude ( https://www.instagram.com/photolegodude/ )
  • fixed lens - not interested in ILC as I don't want to carry lenses
  • limited zoom good but mega zoom not desired (18-75mm is quite fine)
  • external manual controls a plus
  • 1" sensor for high IQ
  • USB charging - tired of carrying separate charger
  • fast/sharp lens
I realize a true do-it-all is impossible so compromise will occur somewhere. Current leading contenders are the Fuji X70, Sony RX100 V, Nikon DL 18-50 or 24-85 (if they are ever released), Panasonic LX10, Canon G7X MII or even rumored-to-be-coming soon Panasonic LX200 and the Fuji X100F.

I rented the X70 awhile back and really liked it. Trouble is, I'm not quite sold on fixed focal length. While I'm a fan of 'zooming with your feet' there are times when it is physically impossible as we all know. The X100T/F is also very interesting though the 35mm might not be wide enough (don't want the added expense or carry of the WCL). Granted, I could always stitch a pano together if needed to go wide.

So there it is, anyone use any of these cameras at all? I know some of you bring the SLR on trips and I bring my Fuji X-T1 on occasion when I'm on a specific mission but I like having something capable with me at all times that doesn't take up much room. If you are interested in further thoughts, I wrote an admittedly lengthy blog post awhile back on the subject...

https://www.nicklasurephotography.com/blog/2016/3/6/best-travel-camera

Appreciate any input!

Alright fellow traveling photogs, I need help deciding on a 'everyday carry' camera. I've been wanting a new 'everyday/travel' compact for quite some time and have endlessly read reviews, poured over specs and even rented. Yet I'm still very much undecided. The current everyday carry is an older Sigma DP1s which I do like but it's slow and not great in low light. In short, I'm looking for a packable travel camera to serve as an everyday carry that meets the following criteria...

The camera in my iPhone 7 is good enough that I no longer see the need to carry another camera, unless I need a flash.

If I wanted to carry around only one camera, it would probably be the Fuji X100T, which is definitely compact and matches your budget, but since you already have an X-T1, I would just use that.

Or sell the X-T1, get the X100T and use a traditional SLR when you want other lenses. I really like the Nikon D7000, but it is kind of big to carry around. I keep it in a canvas messenger bag, which is a convenient way to carry another lens and a small flash. But honestly, I don't change lenses much walking around. The 35mm f/1.8 is usually the only one I take, and rarely needs more flash than the built in one. I have a dozen Nikon lenses, but hardly ever use them.

While I like the pocket sized Canons (I have an S100, the S120 looks great), I don't use them much. They aren't much better than an iPhone, and one more thing to carry and remember to charge.

The X100T has be so tempted. If I could have some range to the lens, like a normal 18-55 or something I'd be so sold.

I love shooting with a fixed lens, it's tons of fun. However there's some shots that you can't move any closer or further. I dunno. It's so tempting though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The X100T has be so tempted. If I could have some range to the lens, like a normal 18-55 or something I'd be so sold.

I love shooting with a fixed lens, it's tons of fun. However there's some shots that you can't move any closer or further. I dunno. It's so tempting though.

There is a teleconverter if you absolutely needed it. But the faster lens by virtue of not being a zoom is just as useful to me.

If I didn't already have a shelf full of cameras that I barely use, I would totally buy an X100T...

I really wanted the X100T to replace my original Canon digital rebel. Was a little too pricy for me when it came to replacing all my lenses and what not. My 300D was doing just fine, but was a bit bulky to carry on the road. What I ended up getting was a Canon SL1, their smallest DSLR. I've been pretty happy with it and it was really affordable. I know you said you don't want interchangeable lenses, but get that and a shorter lens of your choice and leave the rest at home.

I keep hearing good things about this new Nikon DL offering (once it's released...Amazon still doesn't have it):

http://www.thepassionatephotographe...-8-2-8-and-dl18-50-f1-8-2-8-cameras-are-here/

I played around with one at a recent photography show, and it was pretty slick. Didn't get a chance to pull the photos off/edit them/see them in full size, but I was impressed. It has 3 offerings, all with fixed lenses...and they're all under $1000.

I keep hearing good things about this new Nikon DL offering (once it's released...Amazon still doesn't have it):

http://www.thepassionatephotographe...-8-2-8-and-dl18-50-f1-8-2-8-cameras-are-here/

I played around with one at a recent photography show, and it was pretty slick. Didn't get a chance to pull the photos off/edit them/see them in full size, but I was impressed. It has 3 offerings, all with fixed lenses...and they're all under $1000.

January 17th. This could get interesting.

Looks like amazing quality out of a tiny camera.

The camera in my iPhone 7 is good enough that I no longer see the need to carry another camera, unless I need a flash.

If I wanted to carry around only one camera, it would probably be the Fuji X100T, which is definitely compact and matches your budget, but since you already have an X-T1, I would just use that.

Or sell the X-T1, get the X100T and use a traditional SLR when you want other lenses. I really like the Nikon D7000, but it is kind of big to carry around. I keep it in a canvas messenger bag, which is a convenient way to carry another lens and a small flash. But honestly, I don't change lenses much walking around. The 35mm f/1.8 is usually the only one I take, and rarely needs more flash than the built in one. I have a dozen Nikon lenses, but hardly ever use them.

While I like the pocket sized Canons (I have an S100, the S120 looks great), I don't use them much. They aren't much better than an iPhone, and one more thing to carry and remember to charge.

You can pry my X-T1 from my cold dead hands ;)

Seriously though, it is the primary workhorse these days and won't be going away anytime soon. The goal of this camera is to supplement the X-T1, always be with me and be more capable than an iPhone. Definitely agree the iPhone takes good happy snaps with decent light, but it can't come close for low light, dynamic range or making decent prints when compared to something with a 1" sensor.

I have thought about just buying the 18mm pancake lens for the X-T1 but that brings me back to less versatility.

Yep, I wish Fuji would slap on a lens like that to the X100 series or make the next iteration of the X70 have a bit of zoom (without in camera trickery). I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

The DL cameras occupy the top of the my list if they would ever be released.

@Adler I think the January 17th date is going to come & go without good news. B&H updated their expected availability to unknown or something or other.

The DL cameras occupy the top of the my list if they would ever be released.

@Adler I think the January 17th date is going to come & go without good news. B&H updated their expected availability to unknown or something or other.

Yea...Fuji is supposedly going to announce the newest X100something soon too. Reroutes, hotel boredom....I found a used X100T, should be here in a few days.

Though I'm a little dissapointed in myself for becoming a fixie hipster.

i-ZW7ZbM7-L.jpg

Need to photoshop a Fuji in there.

Back