New 135 Freight Dog

I feel like that's the literal opposite of have seen it all. Especially if they fly for a feeder.

I see what you did there ;)

Yeah PDX has three pilots who claim they have been in the Van for 25 years

What if you ask it to go fast?

:p:p:p:stir:

It made an Airnet pilot a little perturbed one night when he found out I was flight planning my 210 5kts faster than his Caravan.

Also upset the Airnet guys when they found out the 210 would carry more than a Baron...

Before anyone gets too upset, I was a Starchecker before the bankruptcy.

It made an Airnet pilot a little perturbed one night when he found out I was flight planning my 210 5kts faster than his Caravan.

Also upset the Airnet guys when they found out the 210 would carry more than a Baron...

Perturbed? I could probably ride a bicycle faster than the Caravan. :biggrin:

I had 245 knots over the ground yesterday. But I also had a cold front right behind me.

Wouldn't have been fun flying in the opposite direction!

I actually don't hate the Van as much as it seems. It's just fun to make fun of sometimes. :)

What are some good luggage flight bags for caravan guys? I expect to be taking advantage of jump seating on my off days for travel on the weekends when I can. Thanks again for the input.
Standard issue is a ragged backpack.
Also acceptable are a duffle (bonus points if it looks military surplus) or for the big spender a dry bag.
Airline style rollaboard and flight bag are right out.

God almighty, 25 years of flying nothing but the Van? I'd have hanged myself in the hotel room long before reaching that point.
I worked with a guy at my old feeder who literally flew the same runs for 25 years (but granted, in a few different types). He retired from there. Happiest, most positive person imaginable too

I worked with a guy at my old feeder who literally flew the same runs for 25 years (but granted, in a few different types). He retired from there. Happiest, most positive person imaginable too

Probably due to his experiences outside of his job. We have a couple guys who have been doing the same run for years as well. Home every day and plenty of time to do what makes them happy with only 2, 30-45 minute flying legs at the most per day.

If you have a lifestyle you enjoy, why not? I did it for far to long, but loved it till the last year or two.

Probably due to his experiences outside of his job. We have a couple guys who have been doing the same run for years as well. Home every day and plenty of time to do what makes them happy with only 2, 30-45 minute flying legs at the most per day.
I miss being home every night, but do not miss the early wake ups and 6 day weeks. To each his own though.

I miss being home every night, but do not miss the early wake ups and 6 day weeks. To each his own though.

You said it brother (Did I just assume your gender?) I've got to wake up at 4am most flying days and don't get home till 7pm. Makes for a long day. In PDX that was 5 days a week. GEG its 3-4. If we didn't have the outstation hotels no way I could do this job.

You said it brother (Did I just assume your gender?) I've got to wake up at 4am most flying days and don't get home till 7pm. Makes for a long day. In PDX that was 5 days a week. GEG its 3-4. If we didn't have the outstation hotels no way I could do this job.

To the first part:
tenor.gif

Ha, nah I'm a dude.

The hotels were a big plus. That being said, they also led to 4 hour naps most days which really messed up my sleep schedule. I also wasn't working out then and didn't eat the greatest, so I generally just felt terrible most of the time.

I tell you what. When I was flying for AMF I met A FedEx feeder Van guy that flew into Bishop CA. When he landed, he also drove the FedEx delivery truck. He had been doing it for 10 years and never planned on leaving. He was home every night, making a good living for where ever he lived (I forgot where that run originated) and had an easy life. He was super happy and chill. At the time I thought he was crazy, but I think about him every time I fly over Bishop some 7 years later. I think some of the best QOL overall seemed to be FedEx van feed, with the opposite terrible end of the spectrum being places like AMF.

I tell you what. When I was flying for AMF I met A FedEx feeder Van guy that flew into Bishop CA. When he landed, he also drove the FedEx delivery truck. He had been doing it for 10 years and never planned on leaving. He was home every night, making a good living for where ever he lived (I forgot where that run originated) and had an easy life. He was super happy and chill. At the time I thought he was crazy, but I think about him every time I fly over Bishop some 7 years later. I think some of the best QOL overall seemed to be FedEx van feed, with the opposite terrible end of the spectrum being places like AMF.
The Empire guys pretty much worked similar (similarly terrible that is) hours to us out of ABQ when I was at AMF. Main differences were they generally didn't work 6 day weeks and had better layover hotels ( I used to stay at the America's Best Value inn across from their Courtyard By Marriott in Farmington, NM)

Standard issue is a ragged backpack.
Also acceptable are a duffle (bonus points if it looks military surplus) or for the big spender a dry bag.
Airline style rollaboard and flight bag are right out.
I use an airline style rollaboard and flight bag, not to be cool but I bring all my mountain bike stuff with me for that day and it’s too much to stuff in a bag. Are you saying that’s a no no ?

I need to find that recording of the MDW controller (grumpy was his nickname) having fun with @mikecweb years ago...ah, the Airnet 'Van days!

He's saying no one cares unless you need freight dog street cred.
Ok thanks. I don’t need street cred or anything, but the roller bag makes moving my • much easier. It’s a long walk from car to plane. I guess I never thought people might think it’s tacky because if I wanted to be an airline pilot, I’d be one.

Back