Networking/Shadowing tips

Avgirl

Hello Everyone! I have been lurking for a bit, and will get my dispatch license in early fall. Before I start the course and sacrifice huge amounts of sleep, I thought it may be wise to network with the various airlines accessible here in Atlanta.

My question for those currently in dispatch is how receptive are you, or your departments to someone visiting to shadow and ask questions, while getting to know more about the profession, what I should really be focusing on with respect to training, and learning more about the individual airline? Is it really worth joining various aviation organizations (i.e. Women in Aviation) before you actually join the community?

I get from previous posts that the school I attend for training will provide a lot of opportunities as well, as I know a lot of recruiters focus on specific programs...(in final days of making a decision between Sheffield and Jeppesen) but I don't want to make the mistake of waiting until I am in job search mode.

Any tips? How important is LinkedIn in this process?

They are usually receptive to people coming in and taking a look around, asking questions, etc. We frequently have tours and groups come through. The toughest thing is finding a person on the inside who you know well enough to let you shadow them. I don't think you can just show up at the main gate and ask for a visitor's pass for the heck of it. While going through school, you should be given the opportunity to reach out and get some contacts.

I don't want to say LinkedIn isn't important because I'm not sure at the lengths they go through in the vetting process, but having someone to vouch for your credentials goes a long way. If/when you come in for an interview, having the people who will conduct the interview already know who you are, or at least your name, helps a lot.

Keep in mind, the process may well be different depending on the airline.

Last edited:
They are usually receptive to people coming in and taking a look around, asking questions, etc. We frequently have tours and groups come through. The toughest thing is finding a person on the inside who you know well enough to let you shadow them. I don't think you can just show up at the main gate and ask for a visitor's pass for the heck of it. While going through school, you should be given the opportunity to reach out and get some contacts.

I don't want to say LinkedIn isn't important because I'm not sure at the lengths they go through in the vetting process, but having someone to vouch for your credentials goes a long way. If/when you come in for an interview, having the people who will conduct the interview already know who you are, or at least your name, helps a lot.

Keep in mind, the process may well be different depending on the airline.

That is encouraging. Definitely not wanting to show up at the gate. But, having a structured time/day that would be convenient without being a nuisance to the dispatching team or any other staff, for that matter. :) Thanks, R2D for the response. :)

I take it that you currently live in Atlanta? And if so, do you know anyone who flies, or works for one of those airlines? I have had pilots bring their kids in and ask to sit with me so that they could see what a dispatcher does, and I am always happy to show them around. If you know someone at headquarters already then you could always ask them to give you the nickel and dime tour, or they could put you in touch with one of the managers.

I take it that you currently live in Atlanta? And if so, do you know anyone who flies, or works for one of those airlines? I have had pilots bring their kids in and ask to sit with me so that they could see what a dispatcher does, and I am always happy to show them around. If you know someone at headquarters already then you could always ask them to give you the nickel and dime tour, or they could put you in touch with one of the managers.

Yes. I do live in Atlanta, and I did tour XJT, and have a brief conversation with a dispatcher that was really interesting, but nothing in depth, so I can certainly follow-up with them. I need to work on my contacts with Delta, although maybe that isn't something to focus on too much, as I am sure getting hired by a mainline right out of training is probably as likely as finding gold at the end of a rainbow. ;)

That is encouraging. Definitely not wanting to show up at the gate. But, having a structured time/day that would be convenient without being a nuisance to the dispatching team or any other staff, for that matter. :) Thanks, R2D for the response. :)

People would be happy to show you around on any non-IROP day and give you the full tour. Delta is kind of an enigma in their hiring preference. They seem to swing back and forth between internal and external, but I do know they have hired a few from XJT over the years.

Get those connections!

People would be happy to show you around on any non-IROP day and give you the full tour. Delta is kind of an enigma in their hiring preference. They seem to swing back and forth between internal and external, but I do know they have hired a few from XJT over the years.

Get those connections!

Will work on developing connections then! Thanks again for all the input, everyone. It is a huge change for me, but one that I am very excited for! :)

Will work on developing connections then! Thanks again for all the input, everyone. It is a huge change for me, but one that I am very excited for! :)

this is a site-wide inside joke
don't rely on connections, work hard and try to learn as much as possible

Connections are great, but let them be your little secret (or you'll have to share them)

this is a site-wide inside joke
don't rely on connections, work hard and try to learn as much as possible

Connections are great, but let them be your little secret (or you'll have to share them)

Oops! I forgot the sarcastic smiley. Gathered that from other threads, that it wasn't something entirely serious. Connections don't hurt, but I rather get mine based on merit and hard work, and not expecting because I know someone that they owe me a job. :)

Oops! I forgot the sarcastic smiley. Gathered that from other threads, that it wasn't something entirely serious. Connections don't hurt, but I rather get mine based on merit and hard work, and not expecting because I know someone that they owe me a job. :)

don't get me wrong , we all need a push every now and then

I wonder if you called Delta/XJT and asked, perhaps they would be willing to set you up with someone to shadow. Not ATL-based here so I couldn't really help, but I know that I personally wouldn't mind showing someone the ropes. It's really hard to get an idea of what the job is like from just a quick tour!

Hard work and merit is the best way to go, others around you can tell if you're worth your salt. Keep in mind that your reputation will follow you everywhere, and if your rep is good connections tend to naturally develop over time.

I wonder if you called Delta/XJT and asked, perhaps they would be willing to set you up with someone to shadow. Not ATL-based here so I couldn't really help, but I know that I personally wouldn't mind showing someone the ropes. It's really hard to get an idea of what the job is like from just a quick tour!

Hard work and merit is the best way to go, others around you can tell if you're worth your salt. Keep in mind that your reputation will follow you everywhere, and if your rep is good connections tend to naturally develop over time.

I am definitely getting in touch with both first thing next week, and may look into traveling to other OCC's in other locations if they are receptive to me visiting. I like the value of getting first hand knowledge and having the opportunity to further develop skills now that I might not have the time to in class based on those observations.

Don't discount reaching out to majors like Delta. Even if you are just starting out, it's good to get a feel for where you'll eventually end up. In the very least, it gives you the opportunity to get some face time with more people. Always a good thing in this industry.

Don't discount reaching out to majors like Delta. Even if you are just starting out, it's good to get a feel for where you'll eventually end up. In the very least, it gives you the opportunity to get some face time with more people. Always a good thing in this industry.
If you reach out to anyone at a company avoid the people at HR. They know nothing, if possible see if you can get the manager of dispatches information to set up a visit or ask a few questions about in an email or in person.

Don't mind me, I'm just gonna bring this thread back to life for my own benefit...

Does anybody here work at DL and willing to allow me to shadow for a few hours, or if you know someone who might be open to having a newbie shadow them. I am seeking this opportunity in order to get a better grasp of the daily duties of a dispatcher and get an idea of the type of challenges that occur. You don't have to go through the set up logistics or anything, just a time of day and desk # and I'll "magically" show up. I can share more in PM if anybody is willing or know who someone who is. :)

Im just looking for any Dispatchers here who work at DL who would welcome me to actually sit with them and observe. My current connections allow me access but not someone to shadow, and i feel like it would be annoying to walk around and ask "can i sit with you".

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Im just looking for any Dispatchers here who work at DL who would welcome me to actually sit with them and observe. My current connections allow me access but not someone to shadow, and i feel like it would be annoying to walk around and ask "can i sit with you".

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

So you know someone who can get you in the front door? You mentioned you could handle the logistics. If that's the case, I'm sure your connection could help you find a person to sit with for a bit, right?

Back