Network, Network, Network

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I know the 4th guy to get hired at American when American wasn't "officially" hiring yet. He met Cecil Ewell in DFW, shared a good conversation and a cocktail or two and got an interview a few weeks later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to go back up the post for a bit. But doesn't it seem odd that a pilot was pretty much hired over a few drinks?
laugh.gif

Ethan

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it weird to think that he got a job over a couple of drinks when you were probably conceived because of a couple of drinks.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to go back up the post for a bit. But doesn't it seem odd that a pilot was pretty much hired over a few drinks?
laugh.gif

Ethan

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't hired, but recieved an interview.

Another strange anecdote: You may meet a "major" (no pun intended) contact while doing something completely unrelated to flying. When I was in training for a non-aviation position (a telecommunication job), I met a guy who used to work for an airline; well, he's putting me in touch with his friend who still works there (in HR), and now I'm just waiting for them to start hiring again!

Networking really does work!

I will second that motion. This year, prior to officiating a youth football game I was getting in a few minutes of studying for my instrument rating. A parent started talking to me and it turns out he is a United Airlines 767 Captain. After the game was over he came up to me and gave me a package that included some sporty's dvd's on wx and IFR training all for nothing. He went home prior to the game to get them....How Nice....As we were talking at halftime the other football official starts talking and it turns out he is a controller at KMSP. I have worked wiwth him for a year or so and never knw. It is indeed a small world.

I have got most of my jobs just from networking. The only job I actually applied to and got accepted was at my current job. Up to this point I had the job before they knew what qualifications I had. I got in good with the chief pilots of the freight companies that I eventually worked for. Networking is the only way to do it, and dont ever burn bridges. My last job knew 2 months before I applied to the regional that I was interested in a different job flying something bigger and faster. They were actually supportive and even gave me a letter of recommendation to take with me.

Back