Network, Network, Network

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, after that Mexican food, I probably could've done 10K FPS. At least in short bursts!
grin.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 10 sheeesh, and you had the mild plate.

Mike,
Ya I meant fpm not fps ya sure I did. No I really did, ahhhahhh damn it you got me. As long as I don't get any Air Force hazing I'm cool with it.

Just wandering, HOW can networking help a person get a job other then the fact of telling the person that your company is hiring?

If you go back and search on that theme in the site you will various references to how important it is. I think Doug mentions it as well on the opening page testimonials that are listed there. If you know someone in this industry you will get a job faster than a person who remains anonymous.

A few examples:

Right now SkyWest is hiring but the website says they are not. But if you were to know someone on the inside they could walk your resume in to the HR dept and you may get on the call list. I know two people here in SLC that this has happened to.

Another example and maybe more pertinant: FlyChicaga, who's testimonial is on the front page of this site, was hired to fly the Saab 340 for ATA. He only had 340hrs (or something like that). He interned with them and they gave him a shot because they liked him. So he was hired in a time when no one was being hired and still has his job.

Basically, if you know someone they can open doors for you. On the flipside, remember, those people who you piss-off or dislike may be the ones closing doors on you too. The door swings both ways. Hope that helps.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just wandering, HOW can networking help a person get a job other then the fact of telling the person that your company is hiring?

[/ QUOTE ]

To add on what Ophir said very well, a in-house recommendation darned near trumps all else when it comes to getting the nod for an interview.

If XYZ Air is hiring pilots and one of their check airmen walk in a resume of a person that has the qualifications, believe me, it'll pretty much go to the top of the stack.

I had a MD-88 check airman take in my resume to Delta and I got a call from the manager of pilot selection about 7 days later.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The last two flying jobs I've gotten were through word-of-mouth and networking.

The latest one, someone heard about me through someone else and asked for my resume. Can't beat that!
smile.gif

In fact, I don't think its even POSSIBLE to be successful in this industry unless you are good at networking!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't get you the job, but it may get you the interview. There are some airlines that say they are not hiring but they are. Who are they hiring? People that have resumes in, ie resumes that were hand walked in by someone who already works for the company.

If you don't network you'll be screwed.

Actually, I know the 4th guy to get hired at American when American wasn't "officially" hiring yet. He met Cecil Ewell in DFW, shared a good conversation and a cocktail or two and got an interview a few weeks later.

Yup, Red Iguana, that N. Temple favorite.

I used to live in the Southwest, I guess I used to it. Sorry about the . . . . . . . . umm, FPS.

Ya its on North Temple right before you go under the I-80 overpass. Its on the North side of the road just before downtown. Good food

I actually had Capt. Ewell come down to DAB to talk to the ERAU students...very nice guy. Supposedly I have a file with AA if they ever hire again. Too bad I came into the military instead of staying civilian, then I'd probably be one of the furloughees.
grin.gif
crazy.gif

This is definitely a mostly who you know industry...got my first "flying job" for a sky dive operation by getting a skydive and joking around with the owner about needing a pilot, next thing I know I'm flying for them.

[ QUOTE ]
EatSleepFly..nice new avatar...

[/ QUOTE ]

You like?

Too bad we can't fly THAT to FL next month, huh?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I know the 4th guy to get hired at American when American wasn't "officially" hiring yet. He met Cecil Ewell in DFW, shared a good conversation and a cocktail or two and got an interview a few weeks later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to go back up the post for a bit. But doesn't it seem odd that a pilot was pretty much hired over a few drinks?
laugh.gif

Ethan

Back