Near mid-air collision at Syracuse involving a Delta and American airliners

In a helo by myself or with one other officer, absolutely. In a 747 with multiple crew members, after a long day, possibly 24 hour duty day, nope, nope, nope. Negative contact…looking.

I even preferred it in fighter jets, however I also wasn’t finishing a 10 hour flight though, so I can see that.

I even preferred it in fighter jets, however I also wasn’t finishing a 10 hour flight though, so I can see that.
10 hours is an easy day. Typically when I’m telling my crew that I don’t call traffic in sight is going into LAX. It’s after leaving Incheon, stopping for gas and customs in Anchorage, and then heading to LA (you can substitute ORD, JFK, or CVG also). I’m not helping anybody out at that point. It’s about finishing a safe flight.

The only exception is traffic right in front of us, established on the ILS, and ATC knows we are going to have a 160-170kt approach speed, since we’re always heavy on those flights. Also, everybody has to agree, otherwise no thanks.

Last edited:
10 hours is an easy day. Typically when I’m telling my crew that I don’t call traffic in sight is going into LAX. It’s after leaving Incheon, stopping for gas and customs in Anchorage, and then heading to LA (you can substitute ORD, JFK, or CVG also). I’m not helping anybody out at that point. It’s about finishing a safe flight.

The only exception is traffic right in front of us, established on the ILS, and ATC knows we are going to have a 160-170kt approach speed, since we’re always heavy on those flights. Also, everybody has to agree, otherwise no thanks.

Eww! That’s far too long to have to be on an airplane! 😂

On approach to DTW, they were hellbent on having us report traffic, but I’m also teaching and monitoring performance, serving as pilot monitoring, instructing, configuring and barking like Porkins from Star Wars about the flight director, all after a 14h flight.

I am Le Tired.

Exactly.

I know exactly when you look up at the runway because with n00bi3s, their hand follows their nose.

“You did go around in the sim… Nail that flight director!”

Then there’s me: “we’re on a visual, what needles are you following and why are get even displayed there!?!?”

I set a new block time record this year. It took 19:15 to get from Indianapolis to Hong Kong.

Ewww. That is far too much. Too beaucoup!

Soon we’ll all be doing visual approaches without ever seeing the traffic and only through adsb designation. One airline does this now.

In a helo by myself or with one other officer, absolutely. In a 747 with multiple crew members, after a long day, possibly 24 hour duty day, nope, nope, nope. Negative contact…looking.
Never a bad call in that scenario lol. As fatigue goes up you gotta even things out somewhere.

Interesting as I've always found it to increase my own workload if I don't see traffic, and making it known that I'm willing to make ATC's life easier when simple\efficent to do so will, in turn, usually make my life easier while on that frequency. Plus I always want to see traffic that is called out to me if possible, especially since I usually operate VFR in Class B/C airspace most of my flights lol. IFR, I'd say it still matters as it can easily lead to vectors for you or someone else or might prolong an approach clearance with extra steps. As long as it is safe, I always feel efficiency is king in a busy terminal environment, and I always try to play my part the best I can in keeping things rolling and having extra SA. That said, I don't pretend to have stuff in sight to make their job easier lol.

Exactly how I feel, if I find the traffic, I usually just get to continue doing what I was doing vs plan B and more calls/visual scanning.
Am I an ass if I say "shut up and color"?

Back