NE Ohio examiners

motoboy

Hey guys I know theres some Ohio pilots on here, just wondering what examiners you have used in the past? I was recently going to take my ppl ride with Ron Carroll, but hes not doing any checkrides till next month. Who have you guys used, good or bad experience?
thanks alot!

I've used Ron, Stuart Cory, and Tony Hurst for myself and my students. All are fair, no BS people. (Tony talks a lot, but then again for me it's pretty cool to hear some of what he has to say about B25 and A26 ops).
PM me if you need contact info.
Where are you flying out of?

I used Martha Tenen for my private ride. Of course, that was back in 1993. :)

If she's still at it I'd recommend her. I think she was out of Wadsworth or something like that.

I also have taken check rides with Stuart Corey and Ron Carroll and I fly in the civil air patrol with Tony Hurst. All three are great guys. Its unfortunate that Ron Carrols DE certificate hasnt been renewed due to a investigation by the FAA but from what I hear he should get it renewed soon. You really cant go wrong. Tony has some great stories to tell about warbirds. Stuart is a CA for Continental and Ron flies in the corporate world. I would say choose a DE that can give you insight to the type of flying you would like to do in the future.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll have somthing set up for next week, I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

You're thinking of Tony-Ron doesn't do multi rides.

News to me as well-I'm going to give him a call and see what's up from the horse's mouth.

My understanding it was on behalf of skypark because there students couldn't pass comm multi add-ons.
Completely off-topic, but looking at Skypark's site, they've got a PPL course for just over $2000 (?!).

If that estimate's accurate, I could have moved to Ohio, gotten my PPL, and MOVED BACK to NC for less than what I'm paying now...

You're thinking of Tony-Ron doesn't do multi rides.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. We tried getting him to do them but he refuses. He really doesn't like shutting down an engine in a light twin.

Can't say I blame him.

-mini

Completely off-topic, but looking at Skypark's site, they've got a PPL course for just over $2000 (?!).

If that estimate's accurate, I could have moved to Ohio, gotten my PPL, and MOVED BACK to NC for less than what I'm paying now...

PM me if you want more info but I would stay away.

PM me if you want more info but I would stay away.
It just seems a little absurd that $2000 can get you a license, whereas $2000 at AVL got me halfway to solo. But nah, I'm happy at WNCA.

And I'm sure as hell not moving to Ohio. ;)

It just seems a little absurd that $2000 can get you a license, whereas $2000 at AVL got me halfway to solo. But nah, I'm happy at WNCA.

And I'm sure as hell not moving to Ohio. ;)

Yeah it is a lie. I did it about two years ago before fuel went bonkers and it probably cost me 3k to get to the FAA min 40 hours. I think I finished between 55-60 hours and it cost me 3.5k-4k.

Yeah it is a lie. I did it about two years ago before fuel went bonkers and it probably cost me 3k to get to the FAA min 40 hours. I think I finished between 55-60 hours and it cost me 3.5k-4k.

Well still sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I'll second Tony Hurst. The guys at the FSDO are pretty good about CFI rides if you can get one.

Well still sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I'll second Tony Hurst. The guys at the FSDO are pretty good about CFI rides if you can get one.
[/quote]
Seems like a steal to me. And you ended up with the same license as anyone else, so maybe it's a good way to go.

As far as Ron Carroll the FAA is busting his butt about a foreign student that he conducted a ride for. Something to do with how the paper work was handled. You know the FAA. They aren't happy till you aren't happy.

As for Skypark, I did my private for right around 3000 and added my instrument for around 3500. It not a bad place to fly real laid back. Not many other places you can rent for as cheap as there. Medina is the only one close. Bout a 10 dollar a hour difference. As for Lorain you will pay twice as much. I fly for the civil air patrol out of Lorain and if you rent from Lorain is 120 a hour for a 172. Not even close. But if you already have your private and live around Lorain come join us in the civil air patrol. Once a member you can use the 172 we have for 28 dollars a hour plus gas. Comes to around 68 a hour with gas prices as they are. Its fully stacked with gps, dme, adf, and is in very good condition. We are scheduled to receive our glass 182 in march. Which will be available for member use once delivered. Your not allowed to do primary training in the airplane though so you must have a private at least. But you are allowed to use the airplane for all advanced ratings and the CFI is free for all your training. And we have some very knowledgeable CFIs who fly with the squadron. One being Tony Hurst who is also a DE. Its really a great deal. You can also pick up some free time flyign USAFA sponsored missions such as cadet orientation flights and SAR missions. Its also a great networking tool because most of the pilots in our squardon are professional pilots who are actively working. PM me for more details on CAP out of Lorain.

Skypark... it is what it is. I did my Private and CFI there. Its a club and the planes arent pretty, but they are more or less safe and you can't beat the price. I finished my private for 2100 a while back.

If you haven't been, at least go and check out their pictures of famous former skypark students.... a few astronauts in there and plenty of SR-71 and other cool bird pilots.

ProPilot when did you fly there we might of crossed paths... As for former pilots out of skypark there are quite a few. This summer we had a former pilot fly on the space shuttle. But as propilot said it is what it is. if you looking for a economical place to get flight training than skypark might what your looking for.

Back