Nantucket Air Rumor

Actually more then 1/2 the people there were SPs. In any case though, yeah it was an interesting presentation. I think the coolest thing about working for a company like that would just be the opportunity to be a pilot. You are the only pilot in the plane, you have 9 passengers, one of which sits next to you in the right seat. Can you imagine how good your stick would be after a yr up there? The company sounds nice to work for, you are home everynight, and your schedule is set, 5 days on 2 days off, no reserve. If you are lower seniority you are in NEngland all summer, and Caribbean in winter. They pay moving expenses and adjustments for cost of living b/ween their 3 bases. They have 2 groups of pilots, some that are there for a career, and some that are only there a year or 2. And they like having both. They pay by the hour, punch in and punch out, so its not by the flight hr in case you have weather/maint. issues. Make about 30K per year. They need 100 pilots on staff/year, and normally hire 40 every spring for people moving on. They have a few 135 mail operations where you don't need an ATP, but to fly the passengers of course you do (since you are the only pilot). There are a lot of customer relations, so you have to want to be around your passengers. After all they are all watching you. So anyway, I took away from it that it is a very good company to work for. They are partially employee owned, all the senior management works the line next to you, and they want pilots. From a career perpective I guess it could keep you away from the airlines for a yr or 2. But, on the other hand, you are getting 135/121 time, and you are PIC, which I think bodes well for the future. SIC gets you no-where fast. He said it is a great medium to move on to places like Execjet. In any case, I guess depending on your situation, it sounds like a fun way to spend a year or 2, especially if you don't have to live in a certain locality.

Did anyone ask or mention what the hour requirements are for pilots and what they are looking for in applicants? Also, was there any mention of a direct track program with FlightSafety?

He mentioned they have a few slots for people to fly mail, I believe thats the 1200 hr 135 min. Most slots are for people with the ATP, which is the 1500. They don't hire SIC unless that person is close to an ATP (1400 hrs) and they need just a little more time for the checkride. No one asked about a direct track, but I assume obviously that it would not be like ASA, as they need ATPs (single pilot w/ passengers). He said they would like FSI IPs (since he does the hiring and went here), and he also was talking so some instructors up at Riddle. So maybe it will be a track where our higher time IPs can go if they choose. It sounds like a good gig, so I wouldn't imagine there would be no interest.

Back