My Unsolicited Two Cents

TheWife

Ok, so I am a newbie and a young female at that, so maybe my opinion is completely worthless and unappreciated, but I am speaking from experience when I say that sometimes it's better to NOT share your opinion if it means being rude and disrespectful to someone. I was on a message board for moms that all had babies the same month, and it ended in a disaster because of people who feel like they need to insult others. We finally started our own private board where we could ban anyone that was rude, and life has been blissful ever since. Now, I am not talking anyone specific but I see a lot of mud slinging going on. I think a lot of people would like to be able to share their stories and thoughts without fear of someone tearing them a new one. It's one thing to see things differently then others, and state your opinion, but it's another to add insults and personal attacks. At the end of the day I want to be known as the person who made the world a better place, either by making someone laugh, or sharing some insight or what ever. I'd rather be known for that, then be known as the person who always has something negative and cynical to add. Now, maybe this will go and piss someone off and you won't want me around. If so, I'll accpet that. But I hope that what it does is maybe help some of you tone down the negativity a notch so that people can happily post away and not be intimidated by the meanies. I hope you don't think I am wrong for saying something.
smile.gif

Somewhat unrelated... but I would like to share my favorite quote of all time:

"Negativity drains your surroundings."

[ QUOTE ]
For a pilots forum this is about as little mud slinging as I have seen on the net!!

[/ QUOTE ] Well that is good and sad at the same time, if that makes sense. I guess being a mostly male board you guys might not be bothered by it where a soft sensitive woman like me doesn't like to see people get hurt....:D Just would hate to see anyone feel unwelcome because of negativity, but maybe that is not really my place to say so.

I completely agree with you. It seems that lately every thread has turned into a fight involving Eagle or John Tenney.

Viper, take a look at your message at the end of your every post. Politics in your face! No, that's never going to create any angst!

Maybe you all need an "Up for Debate" forum where you can duke it out with nostrils flared and testosterone flowing, and then the other posts can stay nicey nice? Just a thought....
cool.gif

Oh believe me, I understand.

I keep a pretty tight rope around the forums usually and I catch a lot of slack, but for the most part, this is probably one of the more 'mellow' aviation-related forums.

I created the "Squawk Box" where those that simply wanted to verbally wrestle with one another about nonsensical stuff could have their space.

From time to time, some of that "Squawk Box"-rancor spills over to the other topics, but my moderators are pretty good at helping me find where the problems are.

Well, I'm sure you've heard the saying: "Put six pilots in a room, ask one question, and get seven different answers."

I don't think its too bad around here- theres waaaaay more helping going on than mud-slinging. You will notice as you frequent the forums for a while that questions will get asked again and again, but for the most part- people are happy to answer them. Also, the amount of professional pilots around here is really cool- flight instructors, freight, airline, military, corporate, charter, fractional, you name it. Plus there are dispatchers, mechanics, flight engineers, line guys, etc. Sure theres lots of newbies, and wannabe's here too, but they were the ones that I think this site was created for. I didn't have anyone to give me advice before/during my flight training. I did it all by trial and error. If I had found an awesome site like this before I started training, life would have been a lot easier probably.

Anyways, what I'm getting at in my not-so-brief response, is that while sure, theres some mud-slinging and heated discussion around here, you will find that anywhere. The thing with the internet, is that there is anonymity (sp?), and in addition to that, there is the fact that emotions, sarcasm, and tone of voice don't carry through words very well. For some people, this gives them the balls to say things to people that they wouldn't ordinarily say. For others, it sometimes makes them sound like an ass, even though they don't mean it that way.

I think that most of the insults/attacks, are amongst people who have been on here for a while, and just rub each other the wrong way. You don't very often see someone flaming a user that just posted for the first time. So just like in the real world, theres going to be people in a group that dislike each other, and dont hide it. Such is life.

Wow, I rambled way too much.
smile.gif

Alright then, well, I'll just go back to my bon bons and toe nail painting then! LOL. I agree with you, tone is very hard to read in the internet!

I am grateful for the help we have gotten so far and I am sure there will be a lot more we need in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
Alright then, well, I'll just go back to my bon bons and toe nail painting then!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I didn't mean to say that you're wrong in what you are saying. I agree 100%, I was just adding my view of it...
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Alright then, well, I'll just go back to my bon bons and toe nail painting then! LOL. I agree with you, tone is very hard to read in the internet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no!

If you don't participate and speak your mind, I'll send Mrs. Taylor up to Utah to track you down and tie you to the keyboard!

Diversity of opinion and perspective is g o o o o o o o d .
smile.gif

Oh belive me, I speak my mind, just with out name calling.
laugh.gif
I was just saying it seems like you all are ok with how it is, so don't mind me.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh belive me, I speak my mind, just with out name calling.
laugh.gif
I was just saying it seems like you all are ok with how it is, so don't mind me.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to call me "stupid dummy head" on occasion, s'ok!

Or my favorite, from my nephew was "stupid poopy head".

But I digress!

Well I would hardly find any of those names offensive. Calling some one a P**** on the other hand.....a little childish in my book. I was waiting for the grade school "I am rubber you're glue..." type of stuff next.

Well, I'm sure you've heard the saying: "Put six pilots in a room, ask one question, and get seven different answers."

I was laughing when I read this comment, when I was at Nippon Cargo Airlines, the pilots were talking of forming a union, but could not agree where to go for lunch to hold the meeting!

[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with you. It seems that lately every thread has turned into a fight involving Eagle or John Tenney.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nailed it on the spot, but those guys are really knowledgeable in many areas, just funny to see them get to eachother.

Back