My input on a DCA recommendation

DE727UPS

"There is a lot of controversy about Delta Connection Academy. I wouldn't recommend it based on what I've seen people say online. What I would suggest is that David go to www.jetcareers.com and do some research, especially the DCA threads. The webmaster is a Delta pilot and I'm very
active there. The site is geared towards educating airline pilot wannabes to the realities of the business"

Someone asked for advice about flight schools at our in-house union website. Someone recommended DCA without much comment. The above is my reply.

Interesting that no one chipped in to defend DCA. I mean, if US Air, Air Tran, and other major Capts are sending their sons to DCA, I would think someone from UPS would speak up to defend their decision. I'll let you know if someone does.....

I hope this person educates himself beyond DCA's advertising and makes and informed decision. I hope he comes to this site (Hi David) and does some research on DCA. If he still chooses to go there....then more power to him.

I think you're just jealous because you didn't decide to go there....

[/bait]....
grin.gif

"I think you're just jealous because you didn't decide to go there."

Naw...I doubt if they were around in 1979. When I was young and stupid, I decided to go to ERAU. It was all about the glossy marketing and the "leg up" an ERAU degree would give me....HAHA.

[ QUOTE ]
"There is a lot of controversy about Delta Connection Academy. I wouldn't recommend it based on what I've seen people say online. What I would suggest is that David go to www.jetcareers.com and do some research, especially the DCA threads. The webmaster is a Delta pilot and I'm very
active there. The site is geared towards educating airline pilot wannabes to the realities of the business"

Someone asked for advice about flight schools at our in-house union website. Someone recommended DCA without much comment. The above is my reply.

Interesting that no one chipped in to defend DCA. I mean, if US Air, Air Tran, and other major Capts are sending their sons to DCA, I would think someone from UPS would speak up to defend their decision. I'll let you know if someone does.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Therein lies your error.... you do not recommend DCA for what you learned in websites......The internet is an incredible wide reaching resource and very democratic media. But there is a lot of misinformation out there. And people know that. So when you say people should not go to DCA because of something you've read in an internet Forum were people are disgruntled....

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this person educates himself beyond DCA's advertising and makes and informed decision. I hope he comes to this site (Hi David) and does some research on DCA. If he still chooses to go there....then more power to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi David...don't be fooled into DCA ads... and don't be fooled by the disgruntled people in this forum either. Do your homework, visit the schools, talk to students that are currently enrolled and get to talk to more pilots. I hope that if you choose DCA it will be as good an experience for you as it has been for me.
laugh.gif

[/looks left, looks right]

hmm still seaching for all these disgruntled, envious folks you speak of.
confused.gif
tongue.gif

none of the people here flaming "Connection" are drop-outs, people who couldnt hack it, or distgruntled students. They are folks who are fed up with people gettin ripped off and told a bunch of false promises about how you can't make it in the world unless you go to X-academy.

This academy attitude about 61ers being second class citizens is a bunch of bu!![censored].

Hmmm, maybe people go to DCA cause they don't think they can get a job the old fashioned way, by earning it. Maybe they need the security blanket of false promises and "guaranteed interviews".

[ QUOTE ]
[/looks left, looks right]

hmm still seaching for all these disgruntled, envious folks you speak of.
confused.gif
tongue.gif

none of the people here flaming "Connection" are drop-outs, people who couldnt hack it, or distgruntled students. They are folks who are fed up with people gettin ripped off and told a bunch of false promises about how you can't make it in the world unless you go to X-academy.

This academy attitude about 61ers being second class citizens is a bunch of bu!![censored].

Hmmm, maybe people go to DCA cause they don't think they can get a job the old fashioned way, by earning it. Maybe they need the security blanket of false promises and "guaranteed interviews".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Fabio was trying to say that the guy should take both the good and the bad comments into consideration. Perhaps you, Montana, should not take just the word of some unhappy students as the "way it is" at the academy, but take a step back and look at the whole picture taking in both the good and bad.

I got a couple of ratings part 61 before I went to DCA and enjoyed the flexibility that the FBO route offered. I was not treated as a second class citizen at DCA, and was never made to feel that my training was inferior. I have yet to see that attitude from anyone here. Not to say that it does not exist but it is certainly not the opinion of the majority.

You have a large sounding board here, so make sure that when you have some issues, you voice your opinion on things you know for sure and not things you heard from some student or viewed in some "dumb ad" (which I agree with UPS on).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, now your stereotyping the people that go to DCA? Let me tell you that just because some individuals have issues with Part 61 training, does not make it the general concesus of everyone at DCA.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There goes the stereotyping again! I'm working damned hard to earn my ratings. I take the exact same FAA tests and have to abide by the exact same PTS standards as every other 141/61 student. DCA adds extra instruction for student to have a broader knowledge of that particular rating. There are not "shortcuts" in DCA's training program. All DCA students work hard to earn their ratings. They do their time as instructors and accumulate over 800 hrs of dual instruction. The "old fasion" way isn't for everyone. I chose DCA due to the more structured program and it fit how I wanted to finish my ratings No one is the same and all have their own ideas as to how the want to train. DCA isn't for everyone.
As far as false promises, I haven't been promised a damned thing, other that getting very thorough training. Just because there's a "guaranteed interview" after completing 800 hrs of dual instruction, doesn't mean I can't apply or get hired other regionals on my own means and merit. It's not a job offer just an interview!

We all agree that the ads suck and are misleading, but you have gone beyond the anti marketing rhetoric and are now attacking the instructors and students, because of their choice to attend DCA! Does that make you a better pilot or person to do this? You need to refocus that anger to management and the marketing department at DCA. I'm usually the quiet calm person on this forum, but your post was uneccessary and I took it personally as an attack against my friends' as well as my choice to attend DCA.

your right. My last post was out of line. I am sure DCA produces good pilots and has good people attending it. I was wrong to take a shot at them.

Thanks for responding. The arguments do get a little heated in this forum.
argue.gif
The marketing and adds truely suck! I'm on the same line as you and DE727UPS. I've submitted more than my fare share of customer comment cards to Management.
banghead.gif
As I am also an employee, I have to limit how much I voice my opinions on this forum due to certain upper level DCA employees that lurk the forum. But I am also a customer and have every right to demand the best customer service I can. I suport all levels and methods of flight training, except PFT. Whichever way they feel is the
right course, more to them. Again thanks for responding to my post. I know when it gets heated, things that aren't really meant come out. I've been enjoying the debates, but it got out of hand and I had to step in and voice my concern.

"upper level DCA employees that lurk the forum"

Really? I had no idea, and am surprised they would bother.

They must not like me very much. Bet they love planediveguy, though.

"Therein lies your error....you do not recommend DCA for what you learned in websites ......The internet is an incredible wide reaching resource and very democratic media. But there is a lot of misinformation out there. And people know that. So when you say people should not go to DCA because of something you've read in an internet Forum were people are disgruntled...."

I don't see the error. I'm basing my opinion on two things:

One, the ads and marketing I see, and wondering if the deception intended in those ads carries over to the credibility of the school.

Two, the level of negative comments I see about DCA from people who have gone there. You don't see that level of negativity at all the big academies. Some are better, some are worse. People post their opinion, some is good, some is bad....all are valuable (except for the obvious flames...hehe).

You don't want me to pay attention to "disgruntled" folks who post negative experiences. Why should I pay attention to you? You have your opinion, the disgruntleds have theirs. I think both are equal.

"you do not recommend DCA for what you learned in websites"

I've never been to DCA nor have I ever flown with anyone who has attented there (to my knowledge). When someone reads what I post here, they should understand that my opinion is based on my personal experiences with flight training, in general, and posts I read on the internet. I pay the most attention to posts where someone has actually attended the school and seems impartial (neither of which describe me).

One should look at a persons background in aviation, level of experience, impartiality, and reason for possibly selling you a bill of goods, when one decides how much attention to pay to ones opinion.

Here is some interesting advertising!! We all agree that Advertising in the flight training industry is at times vague at best, but here is a flight school that has information on their website that made me laugh even harder than normal at some of the advertising in the industry.

SENIOR AIRLINE TRAINING INSTRUCTOR - REGIONAL AIRLINE ACADEMY
After leaving the Air Force,
I spent over five years in the CRJ, and have
over 57,000 hours logged in that aircraft.

WOW....57,000 hours in a CRJ in just 5 years!!!! Again, this brings us back to the debate about people needing to make informed decisions and not believe everything that is written on websites!!!!!!!

I believe that everyone will make their own decisions, and if they do it on another persons say so without checking things out for themselves, then i think that it is their loss.

[ QUOTE ]
"upper level DCA employees that lurk the forum"

Really? I had no idea, and am surprised they would bother.

They must not like me very much. Bet they love planediveguy, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey 727,

I wish! Upper level Admin guys at DCA don't have the time to spend in this little corner of the web...Nor they have a reason to. I am here for the entertainment factor!

Have a great Thanksgiving!
yeahthat.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet they love planediveguy, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably give him discounts...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea Loyd! Hey anyone there seeing this?!?!!??
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet they love planediveguy, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably give him discounts...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea Loyd! Hey anyone there seeing this?!?!!??
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Back