My FBO rant

I totally understand.

But a few things to point out.

1) the lady did NOT mention it when I called.
2) it was a class "D" airport, not entirely a major airport.
3) the other FBO on the field did not charge.

I understand they have to make money. But somethings you just gotta let go.

I test drove a new car today, considering a purchase. Could you imagine if the car lot charged me $10 for the test drive to "cover their insurance"?

Use due diligence, it is not her fault nor the FBO's. Based on your story, you got service. The cloak you are wearing of 'helping GA' does not suffice a business standpoint of making money, and thus, a continuing process of the GA industry.

Call the wahbulance, there are costs to doing business even if you consider the matter in bad faith.

I have no problem paying the fee, but give me the same service and attitude you give the other guy then. I can not stand attitude from the desk girl because I'm asking her to do her job!

Got pleasantly surprised today. Showed up at Atlantic in KFWA and no forklift! They had 2 line guys help us unload 40 boxes by hand. I was expecting a huge offload fee and was going to complain, but we only got charged $60. The lady behind the counter was a total C word, though.

I view FBOs as another crewmember, not me as a customer and them needing my business, and maybe that's why I don't bitch about them that much. The small town FBOs that love the jet fuel purchase but don't have the resources are the only ones that get to me sometimes but all it means is I have to work harder. A working weather computer and printer seems to be a large task at many smaller FBOs.

IF you walk in there expecting the world and become disgruntled when you don't get top notch service then that's probably the start of the issue. Just like a member of my crew, clear communication and an understanding of expectations by all parties will make for a positive outcome. I've heard time after time GA guys piss and moan because there wasn't a line guy snapped to attention to marshall them to their spot because they are "just a little puddle jumper." Of course they never called on the phone the night before or 10 mins out over airinc and of course they won't buy any fuel but man what a crap FBO, they didn't have a carpet for them. Treat line guys and CSRs like they are your copilot or F/A, engage them and actually show an interest that their day at work isn't a crapfest. It's a two way street, yea FBOs suck sometimes but again it's usually a communication issue. A lot more pilots with crappy attitudes then FBO peeps.

FBOs that have been terrible almost without exception regardless of location - Millionaire and Signature.

Atlantic has more than gone out of their way for me and so has the Denver Jet Center in Centennial.

I would not even go to an airport if the only FBO was Millionaire.

I'm actually pretty opposite. Love Millionaire, always have treated me well from my days flying freight to corporate. Visited several of them frequently at AMF and also was based at Millionaire HOU for about a year. Signature is starting to turn their act around at several of their facilities I've been to and I believe they are in the midst of a culture change for the better. Absolutely no complaints with them.

Back