My daughter has a bully...

My nephew recently had to deal with a similar circumstance. He's been skipped ahead in school and he's 2-3 years younger than everyone in his class. He used to come home miserable because of the teasing. One boy in particular was most of the problem. My brother thought about going to the school but realized that this was a social problem the boy had to deal with himself. If you start taking care of every problem that pops up for the child they will never learn to deal with them on their own. He told him to ignore him, forget it, don't talk to him etc, etc, etc. Finally the boy cornered him one day and my nephew, in self defense, hit first, busted the other boys nose and that was the end of it-the boys are friends now. Moral of the story, let your kids fight their own battles.

the article (I'd link to it, but it's no longer online)

Fighting back

Teachers, parents team up to battle bullies

Published: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:14 PM EDT

The 2006 suicide of 13-year-old Megan Meier of Missouri, who killed herself after being bullied by a grown woman on the social networking Web site MySpace, served as a harsh reminder that bullying isn’t just teasing and hair-pulling.

And more recently, a local group of mothers addressed the Enfield Board of Education after their daughters were suspended from Fermi High School for defending themselves from a group of six bullies who had been pestering them for months.

“It’s a national public health issue,” says Dr. Matthew Masiello, vice president of the Conemaugh Healthcare System in Johnstown, Penn., and director of Johnstown’s Office of Community Health.

The behavior, which can begin as early as preschool and peaks in middle school, affects at least 15 percent of the school population on any given day, Masiello says, adding that thousands of students miss school every day because of bullying.

According to a 2007 report by the Children’s Safety Network, survey results indicated in 2001 that 17 percent of school children grades six through 10 had been bullied with some regularity, 19 percent had engaged in bullying, and 6 percent had been both perpetrators and victims of bullying.

“This is an important issue, whether the child is a second-grader or an eighth-grader,” Masiello says.

The long-term effects of bullying, according to Masiello, include trouble with the law, truancy, poor academic performance, symptoms of depression, and unacceptable work behavior. A certain amount of children also go on to be felons and have arrest records, he says, adding, “The most extreme cases involve suicide or violent acts.”

The Children’s Safety Network reports there is evidence bullying may have been related to the 1999 Columbine school shootings in Colorado.

Identifying bullying

Bullying, as a behavior, can be difficult for the victim to identify, which can in turn make it difficult to report. How can a child — or an adult, for that matter — know whether the taunting is an isolated occurrence or bona fide bullying?

Connecticut law defines bullying as an act repeated against the same (person) over time.

“If a child feels bad on a repetitive basis as a result of what another child is doing, they’re being bullied,” Masiello says.

If the child can’t identify what’s happening, it’s possible the parents may be able to. Masiello says children who wake up in the morning and complain about having to go to school, or who come home and don’t participate in usual activities or have torn or tattered clothes and no lunch money, may be victims of bullying.

School officials might take note of the child who’s more likely to lash out in frustration, is a loner, is not doing well academically, who’s not involved in any community or school-related events, or whose parents don’t attend school functions.

“That child may not have been the outcast until he or she was bullied,” Masiello says. “Once the child is bullied, they become more reserved, more introspective.”

Identifying the bully

Dr. Melissa Holt, research assistant professor at the University of New Hampshire’s Crimes Against Children Research Center, says that while every person with certain characteristics commonly assigned to bullies doesn’t necessarily end up bullying, there is a set of traits more common to bullies than to non-bullies.

“Bullies are more likely to have behavioral, emotional, and/or learning problems than their peers, and to have parents who use physical discipline and condone the use of violence,” Holt says.

She adds that bullies also tend to have friends who are also involved in bullying.

Masiello says they are children “not sympathetic to the plight of others. There are some basic virtues that are missing.”

He also says that while it’s long been assumed bullies are the dominating and domineering figure in the school system, that’s not necessarily the case.

“These bullies have self-deprecating characteristics,” he says. “They’re just placed in a situation, either in environment or other social situations, that prompt them to place themselves in a position of superiority.”

That bullies place themselves in a position of superiority is more true for boys than for girls, Masiello explains, adding that girls tend to focus on more subtle psychological bullying.

“Passive ignoring or making fun of, or catcalling, or name-calling of the peer, or starting rumors about peers,” he says, is the modus operandi of the female bully.

Parents might have the most difficulty identifying their own children as bullies, particularly because most parents don’t want to believe something negative about their own child.

“How can my child possibly be a bully? It can’t possibly be my little John or Mary,” Masiello says is the typical reaction.

Additionally, to the parents of the child being identified as a bully, the problem might not seem major.

But to the child who is being bullied, he says, it is.

Why they bully

Because insecurity issues are the driving force behind bullying, that bullies gain a personal sense of empowerment from their behavior is the obvious answer to the question “why.”

“Bullies gain some level of satisfaction that they don’t have in their lives,” Masiello says. “They’re not the most athletic or the best academically, so they need to find something that gives them attention or pleasure.”

Part of what gives them pleasure is the following they can acquire, and further support comes from bystanders who do nothing.

“That directly or indirectly enforces the actions of the bully,” Masiello says.

Boys and girls have somewhat different targets, however, with boy bullies focusing on someone perceived as being weaker, and girl bullies placing their attention on someone they view as socially superior.

“Boy bullies tend to prey on the boy who’s doing well academically, and to some boys that might be a sign of weakness,” Masiello says. “Girls who are bullied usually are the more popular girls. Scholastically, the girl who is doing well, who is pretty … all of these are sometimes attributes of a female that attracts the bully to them.”

Holt says some additional characteristics of targets include the presence of a disability, enrollment in remedial education, and demonstrated insecurity and anxiety.

Children who bully often don’t outgrow their behavior, the Children’s Safety Network reports. Without intervention, they’re likely to carry it into their adult, personal, family, and work relationships.

Stopping bullying

The most important thing a child can do, Masiello says, is report any incidents to parents.

“The next step is to work with the teachers or the superintendent or the school board.”

But too many parents and officials don’t report the behavior once it’s been brought to their attention by children. What stops them, Masiello says, is a lack of adult understanding of the consequences of bullying on children.

Also, children might fear approaching an adult if they are victims of bullying, but Holt says those afraid to do it on their own should bring a friend.

“It’s important that youths who are being bullied tell someone so they can obtain the help they need,” she says.

Masiello encourages bystanders to take an active role, stressing that their direct or indirect participation in stopping the behavior, whether by speaking directly to the bully or reporting the behavior to adults, can have a dramatic effect on the overall environment.

And parents are encouraged to sit down with their children and outline behavior guidelines if there’s been any indication they might be doing the bullying in school.

“Say, ‘Listen, this is not how we behave in this family. We respect others,’” Masiello says.

But it doesn’t stop there. The parent should also apologize to the other parent, to the child who’s been victimized, and then do what it takes to ensure the behavior is not repeated.

“It takes communication and a level of maturity on the part of the parent,” Masiello adds.

And while he would like to see the implementation of a universal program to deal with bullying issues, there isn’t one, yet.

But Masiello is working on it.

He created the HALT program, or the Highmark Healthy High 5 initiative, a bullying prevention program modeled after the Olweus Bullying Prevention program devised by world-recognized bullying expert Dan Olweus.

The Olweus program introduces the issue of bullying in the school environment and addresses the issues of bullying and what can be done from the perspective of the child being bullied, the bully, and the bystanders, and the responsibility of adults present in the daily lives of children.

“Many communities, schools, and organizations in the country have adopted the Olweus program,” Masiello says. “The tools you need to address bullying are evidence-based, tried and true programs that have been demonstrated to work.”

For more information on bullying and prevention, visit:

www.ChildrensSafetyNetwork.org

www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov

www.safeyouth.org

www.colorado.edu/cspv/index.html

Bullying is a much bigger problem than most people realize. I was constantly bullied through middle school and high school. Mostly because I was small and didn't always have a lot of friends.

My Dad always pushed me to punch the kids out which I would occasionally. I ended up getting out of and in school suspensions for it though. Also, with most of the kids I was dealing with even though they were twice my size they'd come with reinforcements. It's tough to go up against 5 italian guys that are already shaving in the fifth grade. In the end fighting really wasn't a great solution.

I say take it to the school. Ever since things like Columbine bullying is a big deal. It's their responsibility to provide a safe and nurturing environment for your daughter. They want to know about situations like this to prevent them. If you take care of it early it won't metastasize into a worse situation.

Yeah, thats what my pop told me when I was growing up.

"If someone ever messes with you than punch them in the mouth as hard as you can. You might get your ass beat afterwards but everytime they taste their own blood in their mouth they will think of you the rest of their lives."

He was a Marine though.......:)

My dad told me something similar. Then he added "if they try to get away after you hit them the first time, grab their belt buckle with your left hand and hit them again with your right. Then I doubt they'll messwith you anymore." But, go figure, he was Airborne, and I don't think he's ever happily taken #### from anyone, ever.

I don't understand how someone can be bullied on a computer. It's one thing to be cornered in your school hallway, or under the bleachers at a football game and you can't get away. A computer though you can turn off. Not go to a certain web page. Set your web page to private, block people. I just don't understand "cyberbullying". To me, it's one more way for people to cry victim.
I guess it's different for guys growing up. I was beat on when I first joined Boy Scouts. It didn't take long for me to fight back and then I was part of the gang.

So I told my daughter to try to completely ignore them, not even acknowledge they are talking or they existed.

It just might have worked! She said that the last hour of school they stopped picking on her because they weren't getting any responses from her.

I guess we will see how next week goes....

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Thanks for posting that article SeatClutcher.

Take her to a brazilian jiu jitsu gym. Once she chokes one of them out..the others won't mess with her anymore....I see you are in the dfw metroplex there are a lot of gyms around here. Just kidding about physically hurting the other kids, but the Jiu Jitsu will give her confidence to stand up for herself. Once she shows that she isn't afraid, intimidated, or annoyed by the girls they will leave her alone. Went through the same thing with my little cousin...

We were going to get her in some form of martial arts last year, but her schedule was so hectic as it is. She has slowed down so I might look into it again.

I would like to join also! Do they have classes we can both go to??

Everyone mentioned a couple of suggestions to calm the situation with your daughter. Many are viable options. The "ignore" option usually works in many situations although some tend to wish to escalate the situation further. They may become physical with something as simple as a bump or push/shove. You should recognize your daughter's "line in the sand."

I've always been in favor with handling situations like this at the lowest level possible. . .that being your daughter. For example, the 'divide and conquer' alternative of having your daughter talk alone and one on one with the lead instigator. Bullies, as you know, get strength being fed off others. If it continues in a group situation, catch the girl alone at her house and ask to be left alone. It's rather intimidating to have someone standing strong at your front door requesting/demanding to be left alone. Yes, parents are a viable options and school administration as well if parents don't wish to "parent."

Lastly, any physical self-defense technique to build confidence helps immensely as well. I've four kids in ages ranging from 28 to 14. I have a daughter as well. With my martial arts background, they recognize that's the last option for them . . .but an option.

Personally, it's a fine balance in my opinion because if someone had threatened my daughter period I would be livid. However, in this case, threatening to "pull out an insulin pump" in my eyes is a far more dangerous thing then a few mean phrases or a shove in the shoulder. I know you want your daughter to develop a thick skin, but I wouldn't trust the stupid idiots in her class who are teasing her to understand that pulling out an insulin pump can be very serious given your daughter's diabetes. I was bullied too and had the military father advice of defend yourself even if it means pushing the other guy. That said, I can't imagine being a parent in your shoes. I would probably slap a huge lawsuit on the school and scare the jesus out of their children. Anyyyways...I hope it works out for the best. In the end, your daughter will probably be their boss one day and she can "exact revenge" with their paycheck :D

My parents weren't Marines and gave me the same advice. Sadly, I took quite a lot of teasing untill the 8th grade when I popped a kid in the mouth for trying to make me look like a fool.

My mother is a fifth grade teacher now and the stories she tells are amazing. I'm almost 25 and the difference between kids in the fifth grade when I was there and now are night and day.

My nephew recently had to deal with a similar circumstance. He's been skipped ahead in school and he's 2-3 years younger than everyone in his class. He used to come home miserable because of the teasing. One boy in particular was most of the problem. My brother thought about going to the school but realized that this was a social problem the boy had to deal with himself. If you start taking care of every problem that pops up for the child they will never learn to deal with them on their own. He told him to ignore him, forget it, don't talk to him etc, etc, etc. Finally the boy cornered him one day and my nephew, in self defense, hit first, busted the other boys nose and that was the end of it-the boys are friends now. Moral of the story, let your kids fight their own battles.

I had a bully in early high school that would bother me and I eventually got tired of it and punched him in the mouth and that was the end of that. He actually apoligized after high school was over.

Yeah, thats what my pop told me when I was growing up.

"If someone ever messes with you than punch them in the mouth as hard as you can. You might get your ass beat afterwards but everytime they taste their own blood in their mouth they will think of you the rest of their lives."

He was a Marine though.......:)

My father told me the same thing. I didn't listen to him for the first few years of junior high, and I was miserable having to go to school and put up with crap every day, but I finally snapped one day and did exactly what my father told me to do years earlier: I beat the crap out of one of them. From then on, I never had to worry about it again. Somebody might say something, but all it took was getting in their face and they'd back down. Never had to throw another punch.

It's tough to go up against 5 italian guys that are already shaving in the fifth grade. In the end fighting really wasn't a great solution.

You don't have to win, you just have to fight. If you put up with taking a beating the first time, then they won't bug you again. They'd rather go after the guys that won't fight. Messing with someone that will fight back is too much of a hassle for them.

Violent retribution can sometimes be the answer...that is my take away from this. Worked for my Maggie, PCL and others. Pretty effective.

Violent retribution can sometimes be the answer...that is my take away from this. Worked for my Maggie, PCL and others. Pretty effective.

Until you go to some ultra-liberal hippy school and the bully's parents sue you for hurting their son or daughter.....

You don't have to win, you just have to fight. If you put up with taking a beating the first time, then they won't bug you again. They'd rather go after the guys that won't fight. Messing with someone that will fight back is too much of a hassle for them.

Exactly!!

Don't be afraid to lose!

oh - also - you can have your daughter find the lead bully, and before the bitch can say anything mean to her, your daughter should compliment her - on anything - (nice hair, cute shirt, whatver) that will totally take the wind out of the bully's sails before she can even get started. it's hard to be mean to someone who has just been super nice to you.

this worked well for me in middle school

oh - also - you can have your daughter find the lead bully, and before the bitch can say anything mean to her, your daughter should compliment her - on anything - (nice hair, cute shirt, whatver) that will totally take the wind out of the bully's sails before she can even get started. it's hard to be mean to someone who has just been super nice to you.

this worked well for me in middle school

You do this before thowing the punch right? To put the bully off guard? Am I missing something? I thought the whole "Violence is the answer" thing was starting to stick.

So my 9 year old is scared to go to school because she is constantly being teased by some other girls.

I understand that kids tease each other and its part of growing up. I got teased all the time in school for being a little punk rock kid, back when being punk rock was not cool and the Football players ruled the schools. I usually just ended up fighting and getting my ass kicked most of the time. :)

But this is the first time I've had to deal with it as a parent. I want to tell her to be tough and don't take #### from anyone. I know that is probably bad advice but I don't want her to be scared all the time either....

My daughter wears a insulin pump and gets a lot of attention for it. The funny thing is that most of the attention is positive.

One of the girls told her today " I'm going to pull the pump off you so you will die"!!

The bad parent in me wants me to tell her to punch that little bitch in the face and then see what she says.

The good parent inside wants to tell her to ignore them, they are just jealous of all the attention you get.

Should she go to the teacher, or maybe I should go to the teacher. I know kids will be kids but thats a pretty serious threat. The last thing I want is for my daughter to depend on me to get her out of trouble all the time.

Advice??

Make sure that she follows through with her punches so that she drops the bully.

I'm completely serious. After watching one or two of the bullies hit the floor the rest of them will leave her alone for the rest of her life.

Alternately you should probably go to the school and talk with the principal. Either way, these kids need to know that their comments won't be tolerated. You can have the principal whoop some ass, or have your daughter do it herself.

Keep us posted on how everything is going!

I remember getting bullied in school mainly because i had thick eyebrows and they would join in the center (for those not understanding, i had a UNIBROW).

I took care of the problem when we'd all play basketball. One game i was so sick and tired of it, i tackled the one bully to the ground, and smashed the ball against his face.

His broken face and pool of blood seemed to fix that!

And then throughout the rest of elementary school we were best friends! Imagine that!

Back