My Controls?

Well if he fiddles with the controls next time you try to land, smack him with the kneeboard! Some CFIs need their egoes put in check.

[sarcasm] lol next time when he does it go "GOING AROUND!"[/sarcasm]

Agreed with everyone else. First time, he has no reason not to be nervous. See what happens, and if its a problem, ask him about it. Sounds like your doing a good job already!

[ QUOTE ]
Well if he fiddles with the controls next time you try to land, smack him with the kneeboard! Some CFIs need their egoes put in check.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a student gets pissy with me because I, the instructor, limited control movement or touched the controls, then I will be the first to suggest that they can find another instructor.

I'm all for letting students learn by making mistakes, but sometimes there's a fine line between a harmless mistake and bent metal (or worse) that students can't distinguish, despite what they may think or believe.

when i am with a private pilot flying (such as on a BFR or renter checkout), I let them fly as PIC. But I determine in my mind the 'box' of operating parameters. this box is narrowly defined until I have seen them through some basic tasks.

I balance my professional desire to see how they handle flight anomolies with my desire to NOT be in my employer's aircraft at the moment a renter is gonna break it.

When i first came on as a CFI, I was probably a tip on then anal side. Now, I find myself allowing pretty much anything a renter will do to the aircraft, save safety and aircraft limits.

One of my favorite parts of working with my pre-solo students is when it dawns on them that if they dont answer a screwed up landing with a go-around, then it is going to be an ugly landing. I wan them to see that with me on board, so that when they are alone, they will do the right thing
smile.gif

I maight be wrong, but I tend to favor the CFI, he has a lot more experience than the student, in the airplane and aeronautical knowledge, and if he put his thumb on the controls, I think he had a valid reason. Now, if he does it again on your next landing, you are doing something wrong that he needs to teach you about; If he doesn't teach you anything, then I would say he doesn't feel comfortable in the airplane, or as a CFI. Then maybe you should consider looking for another one.
You will see when (if) you ever become a CFI, the students will teach you maneuvers that you didn't think were possible!! Could be interresting!!

Back