MQ-9 Reaper collision with SU-27

Oh for sure. I think we effectively left ARM-centric engagements behind a while ago. Though they are still a tool of course.

definitely a tool in the box. The Standard ARM is the same Standard used as a SAM by Navy ships. But like Lawman said and I’m sure you know too, radars aren’t the only sensor involved IADS these days. The game, like all games, has definitely expanded. The AGM-78 Standard is a cool missile though. Its upgrade from the Shrike was longer range and being able to remember where a site was if it went off the air. The Iran AF still uses AGM-78s that we sold them and that they refurbished, on their F-4s. The ones we had were removed from service due to their old propellant and the oncoming HARM. Ironically, the Shrike lasted longer in service than the Standard, being used in Vietnam and Desert Storm, whereas the Standard was only used in Vietnam, except for the Iran ones.

Oh for sure. I think we effectively left ARM-centric engagements behind a while ago. Though they are still a tool of course.

That’s what everybody gets confused about 6th Gen.

It isn’t about something simple like eye watering flight performance or stealth, it’s about being able to weaponize and employ effects like cyber/space/etc from within your own cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely a tool in the box. The Standard ARM is the same Standard used as a SAM by Navy ships. But like Lawman said and I’m sure you know too, radars aren’t the only sensor involved IADS these days. The game, like all games, has definitely expanded. The AGM-78 Standard is a cool missile though. Its upgrade from the Shrike was longer range and being able to remember where a site was if it went off the air. The Iran AF still uses AGM-78s that we sold them and that they refurbished, on their F-4s. The ones we had were removed from service due to their old propellant and the oncoming HARM. Ironically, the Shrike lasted longer in service than the Standard, being used in Vietnam and Desert Storm, whereas the Standard was only used in Vietnam, except for the Iran ones.

Shrike was also far and away cheaper.

This is one of 3 really interesting weapons development documentary’s to come out of China Lake. The other two are on Sidewinder and Walleye.

All interesting if just the unclass stuff.

Shrike was also far and away cheaper.

This is one of 3 really interesting weapons development documentary’s to come out of China Lake. The other two are on Sidewinder and Walleye.

All interesting if just the unclass stuff.

China Lake has definitely come up with some very good weapons programs in their time.

all different tactics now. Should see here where I am. F-35s don’t fly together for any kind of mutual support such as being in one small piece of airspace; they operate mutually many, many miles from one another, taking up multiple areas of MOAs and Restricted airspace out here as their sensor systems gather information and fuse that information amongst the big overall battle picture. Interesting to see…..figuratively speaking, as you really never see the whole formation. Except on NVGs, where you can get an idea of their “formation”, if it can be called that. And that’s likely just the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

Hell, even traditional fighters (4th gen if you will), have largely moved away from visual formations. It's a compromise, like anything, but there are some serious advantages. But of course it does allow some of what we would consider "the basics" to atrophy.

Back