Motionsickness... does it go away?

OCflyguy88

Okay here's the deal. I've taken two lessons so far. The first time the weather was fine, no chop at all minus the little stuff. So today I am up flying and it's really choppy, about .8 hours into the lesson I start getting that feeling like I need to vomit, and I can't make it go away. I tried looking out the window, as well as in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Question is, does this go away? Becuase I don't get sick on a boat, or in a car, this was the first time I felt sick in a moving machine.

Any suggestions on what to do before flying to not have this happen?

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also - around the time I was feeling woozy the CFI had me close my eyes and tell him if we were descending or climbing, would this have made it worse? And on top of that, it was early like 10AM, and I didn't have breakfast.

Yes, it will. I used to get mucho queasy on choppy days, especially if we were doing stalls. The bumpy ride plus the 110LL fumes did not make me a happy person. It went away after a while. When I started doing spin training, it came back though. Granted I almost flipped the plane over my shoulder most of the time.......

Hah. Your first sentance was a relief. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopefully it goes away soon, it's not fun when you have that "feeling" and at the same time trying to do what the CFI says. Ekkk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It'll go away! Give it a few hours.

In the meantime, try seaband wrist bands. I've heard they really help.

I checked out the wrist bands. It's interesting how easily it "can" go away with simple pressure on certain points.

I'll be ordering some shortly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the tip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I found that when I don't get adequate rest or have time to eat like I normally do before I go flying, I can get whoozy. Sometimes I even see cartoon characters. One looked like a squirrel wearing a Dick Tracy hat. He kept singing to me and blew bubbles out of a pipe. How silly.

In all seriousness, I have heard that anything with ginger in it deters nausea! And rest, and sufficent bio-fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've heard the same about ginger as well. Sadly I don't have any at the moment. I just ate breakfast and am going flying again shortly. We shall see what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buck.gif

That's it, when I fly out to PNS for Christmas, I'm taking a gingerbread house with me. Good idea, Kellwolf! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spin2.gif

No. It does not go away.

Just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandit.gif

I panicked after my first lesson. I got a bad case o' the motion sickness, puking my greasy bacon breakfast into the bag -- well, about half of it got into the bag anyhow. I thought my career in aviation was over. Went away after a couple lessons.

I'm actually going flying for the first time tomorrow since November of last year (with the exception of one time in March and one time over the summer, and some airline trips). Gonna finish up the private I should have long since had now. I'm pumped, but I'm definitely busting out the saltines, 7-Up, and bananas.

Haha. I'm glad I wasn't the CFI on that flight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/insane.gif

Anyway, I went up yesturday, I made sure I ate as well. Long story short, weather was smooth and clear, and I was fine. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(enjoy going up again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Back