Most "B.A." Airplane - Part IV - Civilian Jet

GOOD FIND! I remember when that plane was for sale back in 1998. I think it was going for around $200K. Jet-A was cheap back then so, I was trying to figure out ways to buy it.:D

Wow, I've never seen that one before. It looks like a B58 with windows. Definitely badass!

Lockheed L1011 - it was my dad's favorite airplane as it was the only one he flew from all three seats and was an instructor on. He said it flew like a big C172. When I was fourteen he had me in the sim shooting hand-flown CAT III approaches. That's when I decided that this job was easy and that I should do it. I only wish I could have gotten to Delta in time to fly it myself. I did get to ride the jumpseat with my pop a few times, though.

This picture is of Delta's last 1011 doing a flyby before heading off to the desert:
ATLfb1.jpg

Lockheed L1011 - it was my dad's favorite airplane as it was the only one he flew from all three seats and was an instructor on. He said it flew like a big C172.

I've heard from numerous old timers that the L1011 was decades ahead of its time. Something along the lines of "Lockheed should design planes, Douglas should build them, and Boeing should market them".

The Citation X, Gulfstreams and Falcons are neat...but truly Bad Ass? There has to be something somewhat uncivilized to make a plane Bad Ass. Something extreme. Old Lears fit...Falcons, G-whatevers, and Citations just don't. Nice airplanes, but not truly bad ass. They conjur no fear.

I've heard from numerous old timers that the L1011 was decades ahead of its time. Something along the lines of "Lockheed should design planes, Douglas should build them, and Boeing should market them".

The FMS was designed on a dare I think. It has got to be someone's sick idea of a practical joke. EVERY single waypoint had to be manual entered. It had no clue what a jetway or victor airway was. And, it only had a single line LED display.

The Citation X, Gulfstreams and Falcons are neat...but truly Bad Ass? There has to be something somewhat uncivilized to make a plane Bad Ass. Something extreme. Old Lears fit...Falcons, G-whatevers, and Citations just don't. Nice airplanes, but not truly bad ass. They conjur no fear.

:yeahthat: Good points, all the way around. Any airplane where you worry obsessively about starting ground school would qualify. That would probably make the Brazillia the most fearsome airplane on the planet. :p

Actually I was thinking that the 50 seat RJs are the most "bad ass" civilian jets. I mean just look at the debate these airplanes have sparked in the airline industry! :)

Lear 24 or a 727 arn't BAMF?

Mustang:

Mustang.jpg

Best VLJ out there, cause I don't think Cessna is going to sell 200 then go out of business.

Fastest biz jet out there:

citxku.JPG

And new to the market:

SJ30_1.jpg

Sj-30, fast, single pilot and nimble. Great design and overall jet.

Back