Most "B.A." Airplane - Part II - Military Jet

Here's one I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: "Last of the Gunfighters" (yes, I know....this is an RF-8G recon version, but I mean the Crusader family of jets)

Attachments

• f8.jpg
    f8.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 41
Well, the Soviet bombers that the Phoenix was designed to intercept couldn't really outmaneuver them, I'm pretty sure.

Exactly my point. Most Tomcat fanboys that espouse the merits of the AWG-9's capability to multi-target and the AIM-54's range don't really have any concept of what that really means.

It means that several non-maneuvering targets with an enormous radar cross section could be hit by the Phoenix -- not exactly what I'd consider something to be bragging about as a fighter.

The AWG-9 was revolutionary when it came out and only had competition from the F-4...but by the 1980s it was all ready outdated and didn't have much exclusive capability.

And, from what I've heard from old Tomcat drivers, in the right hands a Tomcat can out-dogfight just about anything out there (if it's not a compresser-stall prone -A model).

I wouldn't agree with that at all -- although the D models with the GE-129 engines were a HUGE improvement. The airframe was still G limited, and had issues in some dogfights with those swing wings. The D models ended up with a great amount of excess thrust that allowed them to really use the vertical...and fight the same kind of fights that Vipers and Eagles had all ready been fighting for years.

Remember, though, that the D models just showed up at the end of the airframe's life. For years and years, the A model was the only thing out there, and that is the one that earned the "Topgrape" name.

The Tomcat was a great airplane in the role it was designed for when it was initially fielded -- a 1970s fleet defender against MiGs before the advent of the Fulcrum and Soviet bombers. Any sort of expertise in anything beyond that (especially when people start talking about 'Bombcats' and the like) is hyperbole and not reality.

The Tomcat was a great airplane in the role it was designed for when it was initially fielded -- a 1970s fleet defender against MiGs before the advent of the Fulcrum and Soviet bombers. Any sort of expertise in anything beyond that (especially when people start talking about 'Bombcats' and the like) is hyperbole and not reality.

Bombcat only really came around to keep the plane (and the "VF" squadrons) viable post-Desert Storm, IIRC. Worse, F-14s doing "fast FAC" duties always made me kind chuckle when I'd see them in that role.

Here's one I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: "Last of the Gunfighters" (yes, I know....this is an RF-8G recon version, but I mean the Crusader family of jets)

I had a serious debate with myself while switching between the Crusader and the F-105. F-105 won out, but it wasn't a clear-cut decision.

I had a serious debate with myself while switching between the Crusader and the F-105. F-105 won out, but it wasn't a clear-cut decision.

Ooooooh, don't get me wrong; I definitely like the -105...sweet plane. That J-75 engine that it and the -106 used was pure thunderous roar.....sheer power. No wimpy, fuel efficient turbofan!

Ooooooh, don't get me wrong; I definitely like the -105...sweet plane. That J-75 engine that it and the -106 used was pure thunderous roar.....sheer power. No wimpy, fuel efficient turbofan!

I know...that was my toughest call to date. Almost shed tears because I like the Crusaders...

I gotta vote for the F-105, only because a buddy of my dad got shot down in one.

Twice.

We nicknamed him "Lucky"

OK, I was waiting to post. I will now shut this one down with the winner, a ME262 in its earliest configuration as a taildragger:
ME262.jpg

The tailwheel awards huge bonus points to any airplane. FTW!

F-4 Phantom. Made me want to be a Navy Pilot when I was 7. Hauled more ordnance than a B-17, proved you could make a Mack Truck fly with enough Thrust.
tfs4.jpg

F-104... there is just something about a jet that barely has any wings.

f104.gif

x2. Ludicrous wing loading, single engine, w/tip tanks FTW! There's something that just says "badass" about an airplane you stick tanks on because you don't need no more stinkin wing.

F105,F4,F8F,SR71/OXCART (obviously), all good choices too.

Here's a sleeper:

f89j-002.jpg

Tip tanks. AND UNGUIDED NUCLEAR ROCKETS. Slower and uglier than your first girlfriend, but my God, "collision course radar intercept"? "Here, you just fly towards the bad guys, fire off the UNGUIDED NUCLEAR ROCKETS, and beat it ricky-tick towards home, hoping for the best!" That is BadAss.

Flew with a now retired B727 Capt who flew these in the AF. One cool looking bad@ss airplane and great stories!

The B-58 Hustler:

b58_2.jpg

b-58-bw1.jpg

b58_1.jpg

There are some tough mean airplanes. The 105, Hustler, F4 and A10 come to mind.

However, my votes are the B1 and the F111. I give the B1 the edge only because it has a crapper and an oven.

Both are:
Loud
Fast
Can lay down the metal
Look angry

[YT]ApHv-BYlCSw[/YT]

[YT]hMCaqfW_ZR0[/YT]

Back