Most "B.A." Airplane - Part II - Military Jet

Had a cousin that was on the back of B1s before he went to UPT said that on long missions they just laid down in the walkway to take a nap.

Ooooo the Intruder was the bombdiggity!

multidrop.jpg

The A-7 is another forgotten treasure

070727-F-2911S-001.jpg

Bob Hoover F-86

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (wgNotice != '') document.writeln(wgNotice);</SCRIPT><STYLE type=text/css> /*Styles for Notices*/.notice-wrapper-licensing, .notice-collapsed-wrapper-licensing { margin: 2px auto 0; width: 100%; padding: 0; font-family: 'Arial','Helvetica','Tahoma',sans-serif; color: #333; background-color: #ddd; font-size: .9em; font-weight: 200;}.notice-wrapper-licensing{ border: 1px solid #bbb; background-color: #fcfcfc; text-align: left; font-size: .9em;}.notice-wrapper-licensing a{ color: #006699;}.trans-box{ text-align: right; font-size: 0.8em; padding: 0; white-space: nowrap;}.toggle-box-licensing{ text-align: right; font-size: 0.8em; padding: 0;}.notice-text-licensing{ margin: 0 auto 5px; padding: 7px 5px 5px; font-size: 1.2em;}.line-ht-fix{ line-height: 1em;}#centralNotice.anonnotice .siteNoticeUser { display:none !important;}#centralNotice.collapsed .siteNoticeUser{ display:none;}</STYLE><TABLE class="siteNoticeUser notice-wrapper-licensing"><TBODY><TR><TD>Please participate in a vote to determine the future copyright terms of Wikimedia projects (vote ends May 3, 2009). Vote now!

</TD><TD class=line-ht-fix>[Hide]
[Help us with translations!]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

F-105
f104-03.jpg

F-104

There are some tough mean airplanes. The 105, Hustler, F4 and A10 come to mind.

However, my votes are the B1 and the F111. I give the B1 the edge only because it has a crapper and an oven.

Both are:
Loud
Fast
Can lay down the metal
Look angry
I watched a couple B-1s take off out of Anderson in After burner..... friggin awesome.

Those "Over the Reich - 1946" german designs are almost a category unto themselves in terms of BAness. What was the one made out of balsa wood with a jet strapped to the top and a couple of 30mm in the nose? Volksjager or something? Intended to be flown by 10 hour glider pilots in head on attacks against massed boxes of b-17s. Landing extremely optional. Jeez. If you think blonde hair that matches the drapes is rare now, just imagine if we'd gone another round with the squareheads.

So far everyone has neglected to add the most truly BA military plane ever, the XB-70 Valkyrie. Think the SR-71 and it's two monstrous engines and speed was great? Well how about 6 of them? A Mach 3+ Bomber designed to visit the Ruskies and give them a bad day. Only two were ever made and after one was lost in a mid-air they stopped flying them. The surviving example is in the AF museum annex at Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio.

Attachments

• 0934844.jpg
    0934844.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 99
So far everyone has neglected to add the most truly BA military plane ever, the XB-70 Valkyrie. Think the SR-71 and it's two monstrous engines and speed was great? Well how about 6 of them? A Mach 3+ Bomber designed to visit the Ruskies and give them a bad day. Only two were ever made and after one was lost in a mid-air they stopped flying them. The surviving example is in the AF museum annex at Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio.

I've been waiting for this one. Totally BA

+2

I think Joe Walker was killed in the XB-70 mid-air. Why did they stop flying them though. Completely bad ass

+2

I think Joe Walker was killed in the XB-70 mid-air. Why did they stop flying them though. Completely bad ass

Joe Walker in an NF-104 and Carl Cross in XB-70 #2.

Basically they stopped flying #1 because they had learned what they had hoped to learn, and then some, and ran out of funding. By that time there was no hope of a production program, also they were running low on engines which were also a limited production experimental program.

A/V 1 was limited to mach 2.5 because of structural deficiencies. It's final flight was to the USAF museum, where you can see it on display today... it's huge and looks awesome, highly recommended if you're in the area.

One I completely forgot, but was reminded of it today: The USN Douglas A-3 Skywarrior and it's cousin the Douglas EB-66 Destroyer. The A-3 started as a carrier-based bomber, then changed to reconnaissance plane, airborne tanker, ECM jamming bird, and in it's final days working alongside the EP-3 planes in the VQ squadrons (and ES-3 Vikings who finally replaced them). The USAF EB-66 started as a bomber also, became a weather plane and finally an ECM electronics jamming bird. It has a more structured cockpit instead of the canopy that the A-3 has. It was replaced by the EF-111 Raven.

What reminded me of this bird were the ones at KVNY. Those birds used to be based at KDVT in Phoenix with Thunderbird Aviation for many years, working contract for the military. Thunderbird had an few EA-3Bs, an RA-3B and a TA-3B.

One personal note: Looking at the USN planes, I love the older paint scheme from the '80s and before, with the gull grey over white and bright markings. In the mid '80s and into the '90s (as seen in the last A-3 pic) the USN went to the subdued dark grey markings on an overall medium gray jet; though I understand some sqdns had at least one bright painted aircraft.

Attachments

• a-32.jpg
    a-32.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 55
  • a-33.jpg
    a-33.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 79
  • a-3.jpg
    a-3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 59
  • a-34.jpg
    a-34.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 46
  • a-35.jpg
    a-35.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 46
  • EB-66.jpg
    EB-66.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 87
The squadrons were allowed one bright tail flash, everything else was in the low visible grey. Except the VQ squadrons kept the white over grey.

:yeahthat:

Just one bad ass looking plane IMO

I didn't see the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk on here. It's a personal favorite because my Dad flew them in Vietnam and he said it was one of the best airplanes he has been in since he started flying.

For sheer bulldog ferocity...
Focke-Wulf_Fw_190D-9_outside_USAF.jpg

A 'fat face' and SPAD (NO.. not WWI Spad but Single Place AD) (about the same bomb load as a B-17)

36830.jpg

The Baltimore '' (no visible means of support)
b26.jpg

Just a great lookin' machine and reportedly climbed like a homesick angel
SkyrayFlyingOverNASNILarge.jpg

But the baddest of the never-was'es.. the Super Crusader or XF8U-3

[YT]t6V8kvI6vrA[/YT]

...looks like a great white looking for a snack!

Back