More Soon-To-Be Unemployed Pilots

For this I blame Frank Lorenzo and the CAL scabs of 1983 - that is where the blame clearly lies. Lorenzo had a theory that pilots would work for much less and the CAL scabs proved it. Those are the ones that need to be memorialized as the killers of the airline pilot career.

Of course we could go back to the 1978 Airline Deregulation Act...

I know a lot of us don't see eye to eye on issues but you have to agree with me that more qualified pilots on the street is not a good thing. Not at all. I don't care if you loathe another pilot group it is absolutely disgusting that you are happy that fellow aviators just got their job cut. It is really pathetic.

Holy Macaroni man!
Where did this guy say he was happy that other people lost their jobs?
Take a chill pill and make sure you exit your bed on the left foot buddy.
That'll fix it.

I've been wondering how the furlough thing works with out of state pilots returning home and going on unemployment- which state pays?
I can't imagine who pays on expatriate flying.

Oh man, a good friend of Bill's from his TWA new-hire class has been with JALWays for a while now :(

That sucks.

Yep...supply and demand is going (has) to wreck this career. You can forget the hopes of decent pay now. Bottom line...it has been proven that people will take a job in a cockpit for chump change, and management knows it. The only thing that may stop this is the union "card check" deal that I am sure will be implemented. Interesting times afoot....

Alright folks, let's keep it on an "edu-tainment" level.

If I've got to lay down the law, chances are I won't have a chance to read your plea for clemency until late wednesday evening. And then you're going to be REAL mad, and when you email me angry, I generally crack a beer and move on to the next one without much though.

Of course we could go back to the 1978 Airline Deregulation Act...

I guess, but that was five years old before Lorenzo busted the pilots union with the help of the "class of '83". I believe, at least from the Master Scab List, that the 83 CAL strike was the gest amount of scabs to that time - and made it easier for the UAL 85 scabs, and the 89 EAL scabs. Blame deregulation all you want, but Lorenzo is the one that figured out pilots would work for cheap, and the 83 CAL hires proved him right.

We have a glut of pilots out there. There are going to be pilots on the street during this economy. Even if we were all non-union there would still be pilots on the street, maybe more, maybe less. Training used to be cheap (I remember $60 a flight hour at riddle), now it isn't (I hope that's a good thing for us). There isn't enough economy to employ everyone.

As a card carrying, paying, ALPA member I feel better if non-union guys get pushed to the street rather than union guys because most of us are still delusional to believe we can get the wages up. If the only thing left are union companies I believe that more likely to happen.

You guys need to listen to jynxy.
Thanks Velo. But you had to throw up in your mouth a little when you said that. All the same, I appreciate it.

Look guys. When a hot button topic like unions come up, I'm willing to accept a bunch of topics but try to remember something. There will be no more mainline (quality paying) jobs in the near future. Many of us, maybe all of us, in the regionals have leveraged our futures against debt for training and living expenses.

I personally can't watch FO's on food stamps forever. I'm doing alright right now but many of my fellow pilots aren't. It's making me sick and its partially caused by so called, "bottom feeders".

I guess, but that was five years old before Lorenzo busted the pilots union with the help of the "class of '83". I believe, at least from the Master Scab List, that the 83 CAL strike was the gest amount of scabs to that time - and made it easier for the UAL 85 scabs, and the 89 EAL scabs. Blame deregulation all you want, but Lorenzo is the one that figured out pilots would work for cheap, and the 83 CAL hires proved him right.

But the '83 CAL guys are forgiven, I thought?

Curious how that could be, when the 85 guys and the 89 guys apparently can't be....

But the '83 CAL guys are forgiven, I thought?

Curious how that could be, when the 85 guys and the 89 guys apparently can't be....

Velo or PCL can give you a better answer probably, but my understanding was that they were taken back because ALPA didn't want to punish the people that held the line OR the people that got on after the strike ended. I think it also has to do with dues money (call me cynical). Anyway, I stand by my assertion - those were the guys that killed the career. Prior to that, even through 5 years of deregulation, Airline pilot was still a good job. After that, not so much. Lorenzo proved that pilots would work for much less which opened the door for every other airline CEO.

Velo or PCL can give you a better answer probably, but my understanding was that they were taken back because ALPA didn't want to punish the people that held the line OR the people that got on after the strike ended. I think it also has to do with dues money (call me cynical). Anyway, I stand by my assertion - those were the guys that killed the career. Prior to that, even through 5 years of deregulation, Airline pilot was still a good job. After that, not so much. Lorenzo proved that pilots would work for much less which opened the door for every other airline CEO.

If I remember correctly from a previous Velo/PCL post, it was because CAL was non-ALPA for a while, and when they went back, there wasn't a logistically plausible way to keep the ones that scabbed out while letting the others in. I could be wrong, though.

If I remember correctly from a previous Velo/PCL post, it was because CAL was non-ALPA for a while, and when they went back, there wasn't a logistically plausible way to keep the ones that scabbed out while letting the others in. I could be wrong, though.

That's what I mean......the "selective forgiveness" due to political needs seems like hypocrisy to me.

If you are "waiting it out" hoping, praying, a future pilot shortage will occur you are going to be very disappointed.

Look in the mirror and repeat 10 times each morning:

"There is no pilot shortage, there will be no pilot shortage"

Alteon (Boeing) has the ATA, ICAO, AIRCON, and soon, very soon the FAA convinced that the flying job of the future will go to the lowest bidder with ZERO experience. Read very small pilot paycheck. Think ramper grade IQ.
High school dropout VoTech training.

The desire is to throw the experienced pilot under the bus and opt for "No Experience". A pilot with no experience will work for free or very close to free. Even though a full blown MPL training program is expensive, its still cheaper to do it that way and keep the revolving door going. It is the future and the future is here.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKTRE52B1D820090312

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight!

"The most important lesson learned from the MPL beta test is that cadets without any aviation experience can be trained to world-class proficiency and competency as a first officer,” said Roei Ganzarski, Alteon chief customer officer. “This is possible due to a rigorous training program that includes advanced courseware, high-fidelity simulation and adherence to high standards by instructors and students.”

http://alteontraining.com/articles/articledetails.aspx?id=1242

Back