More ACA Furloughs

davetheflyer

ACA announced a couple of days ago that a further 50 pilots will be furloghed.

Back in the spring, the announcement was made that 101 furloughs would be made in addition to the 96 pilots currently on the street. In the wake of plans to go independent, these furloughs were postponed.

Along with the furloughs, a number of captains will be displaced back to the right seat in order to keep the crews balanced.

I'm still not personally affected by the furloughs (beyond seeing quite a few friends leave).

That sucks - I am not sure what ACA is doing with this independant thing (it just sounds tough going from one to the other)- but I hope it works out.

Can you still keep the DJ?

DaveTheFlyer,

I know this may be like finding a needle in a haystack, but does the name Shane Allen ring a bell. He was my first instructor when I did my PPL training. Shortly after we started last year, he was hired by ACA. I was just wondering if you knew of him and was curious if he was furloughed.

later

This brings up another problem with PFT and bridge programs that put super low time guys in the right seat. What do you do with 300 hours if you get furloughed? You have no CFI and you have no real world experience due to a lack of total time. At least if you have 1500 total and 200 multi you can find another job...even if it's a step backwards. I think ACA was one of the airlines that used to have a bridge program. I wonder how many of their furloughees paid the big bucks to wind up on the street with no options.

I dont think theyve had PFT for a couple of years now. They did have a few bridge programs and former interns.

PFT was out for a couple of years before I got there. I think that most of the people who paid are safe for the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
This brings up another problem with PFT and bridge programs that put super low time guys in the right seat. What do you do with 300 hours if you get furloughed? You have no CFI and you have no real world experience due to a lack of total time. At least if you have 1500 total and 200 multi you can find another job...even if it's a step backwards.

[/ QUOTE ] That's why I chose a bridge program that includes a CFII and far more than 300hrs. I don't wanna be without options if something falls through.

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I chose a bridge program that includes a CFII and far more than 300hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, I think you mentioned that you were enrolled in ASU's program? Just out curiosity, how many hours does this include and what's the cost like? If you could point me to a website concerning this, that'd be fine too. Thanks, just considering my options...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's why I chose a bridge program that includes a CFII and far more than 300hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, I think you mentioned that you were enrolled in ASU's program? Just out curiosity, how many hours does this include and what's the cost like? If you could point me to a website concerning this, that'd be fine too. Thanks, just considering my options...

[/ QUOTE ] Glad you're interested.
I'm not enrolled in "ASU's program," I'm enrolled in Mesa Pilot Development. My classes and instructors are ASU, but the curriculum is MPD. The planes and flight instructors are all Mesa as well.

Mesa Pilot Development
Costs
Degree

I'll be here for the next four years and should get my ratings like this:
semester:
1) PPL
2) COMM/IR
3) CFI
4) CFII
5) MEI
6) Finish up degree/ build hours instructing
7) Finish up degree/ build hours instructing
8) Finish up degree/ build hours instructing
*Fall semesters include summer

You should expect to pay about 45k for the flying alone. You spend the first 2.5 years getting your ratings and the last 1.5 instructing either here or at a local FBO. Total hours = 300 x (1.5years of instructing)

Instructor jobs are not guaranteed and no they're also not PFT.

45K just for the flying?! Yikes.
I seem to remember a banner add for ATP that gives most of the training in twins for 33K. Yowza!

I take it ACA is an east coast regional. True? Not familiar with them here on the west coast. I heard them mentioned on this site before. I just tried aca.com and.net and did not get an airline. I'll try a search which I didn't think of, and see what I get.

That's too bad about the furlough.

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to remember a banner add for ATP that gives most of the training in twins for 33K. Yowza!

[/ QUOTE ] But ATP doesn't offer you the Interview.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] But ATP doesn't offer you the Interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats an expensive interiew. Well anyways, good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats an expensive interiew. Well anyways, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]And at a top notch regional too!
wink.gif

Im not here just to chase the carrot on a stick. ASU offered me a lot that ERAU didn't.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ASU offered me a lot that ERAU didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Such as? I'm considering both schools' programs.

[/ QUOTE ]
At 140k ERAU is too expensive for me. I worked hard in highschool and got a full ride to ASU. I simply couldn't have gotten that kind of a deal at a private school like ERAU. I also like the fact that here I can choose from a variety of classes that interest me.

Back