Morbid curiosity. Upgrade times?

I agree, although I would be surprised to hear of any narrowbody pilot, regardless of airline, would be sitting reserve and not being used in today's environment.
SWA captains are double greedy. They pick up all the open time.. then you have the Lance Captains, picking up scraps the line captains don't want, which leaves a more captains sitting reserve in hotels in OAK etc.

In the airlines, for a given type, must one sit right seat for some period of time before one can "upgrade" to left seat? Or, if a senior captain on one type, can one slide directly over to the left seat in a different type?

Whatever your seniority can hold.

SWA captains are double greedy. They pick up all the open time.. then you have the Lance Captains, picking up scraps the line captains don't want, which leaves a more captains sitting reserve in hotels in OAK etc.
What the hell is a lance captain? It sounds awesome!

If a USMC Lance Corporal was a commissioned officer, this is what you would have.

In the civilian world, this is one who is awarded captain on a Piper PA-32R-301. I can attest, from long ago.

It's a terrible system that only Southworst uses, and SWAPA refuses to get rid of. It reduces real captain upgrade slots and allows the company to cover captain trips at normal pay that they otherwise would have to pay premium pay to a real captain to fly.

Basically, the top of the FO list can bid to get their 4 stripes, but then they only fly as captain when there are trips for them to pick up. The rest of the time they're flying their normal FO trips until they can hold a real captain bid later.

It's a terrible system that only Southworst uses, and SWAPA refuses to get rid of. It reduces real captain upgrade slots and allows the company to cover captain trips at normal pay that they otherwise would have to pay premium pay to a real captain to fly.

Basically, the top of the FO list can bid to get their 4 stripes, but then they only fly as captain when there are trips for them to pick up. The rest of the time they're flying their normal FO trips until they can hold a real captain bid later.

A way for management to be cheap? Was this in effect under Herb, or has this come around with the culture that came after his time?

In the airlines, for a given type, must one sit right seat for some period of time before one can "upgrade" to left seat? Or, if a senior captain on one type, can one slide directly over to the left seat in a different type?

Can do either. There is no requirement to be a FO on a plane to upgrade in that plane. Whatever your seniority can hold.

Well f a bunch of that. What exactly is the incentive other than getting to be a captain for a minute?

Well f a bunch of that. What exactly is the incentive other than getting to be a captain for a minute?

From the outside looking in, I'd say the advantage is that they get to bid as a very senior FO for their monthly schedule and vacation. Then pick up trips as wanted in the left seat.

Without looking up pay rates, I'm guessing that whatever premium is being offered would make a pick up in the right seat more lucrative monetarily which means it would only be an ego thing.

From the outside looking in, I'd say the advantage is that they get to bid as a very senior FO for their monthly schedule and vacation. Then pick up trips as wanted in the left seat.

Without looking up pay rates, I'm guessing that whatever premium is being offered would make a pick up in the right seat more lucrative monetarily which means it would only be an ego thing.
I gueeeeesss there is something to be said for being able to pick up open trips from two bid statuses instead of one. That wouldn’t make up for doing captain work as an FO and having to called something as “squadron bro” as lance captain.

Actually the lance program benefits the pilot group as well, as Lance guys pick up captain trips the captains drop into give away, and the lance guys give up good FO trips, FOs can pick up if they want them. It doesn't hurt me either way.

Really wouldn't make much of a difference. There are a handful of lances, and at the same time over 993 first officers choosing to bypass.

They say the lances are the grease that lubricates the open time system. I don't know if that's true but as with most things around here, they invented it so it must be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

They also keep the Guppy alive, so eff em...
signed another airline guy stuck flying that thing

Back in my day we’d say “I’d fly a Cessna 172 if they pay me enough!” but I guess this generation gets a little cranky if they’re not flying a Gucci Bus with seat warmers and butt massage. Gann would be disappointed.

Back