Montana state university

Hi guys I'm new here and want to go to college and learn how to fly to get in the aviation Industry so does anyone know if Montana State University aviation program any good?
I want to fly for a airline some day that's my dream! Any advice appreciated.

I did a quick search. Montana State has a two year program that is not accredited by AABI, Aviation Accreditation Board International. If want to be an airline pilot, (major airline) then seek an AABI approved program. Good luck.

I did a quick search. Montana State has a two year program that is not accredited by AABI, Aviation Accreditation Board International. If want to be an airline pilot, (major airline) then seek an AABI approved program. Good luck.

What would that accreditation gain you? I'm not trying to be snarky, to clarify.

I got most of my ratings through the FBO That MSU uses after I got a degree in engineering. As I recall, most people went to MSU, enrolled in the aviation program and got a BS or BA degree in something else in addition to the associate's in aviation. Also I would add that I am an airline pilot and don't have an aviation degree, much less one from an AABI school.

If you're interested in Montana schools, Rocky in Billings has an aviation school, and appears to be on the AABI list.

An AABI accreditation is looked on, at least by AA, as a very favorable thing. They are hiring guys for the flow but those they hire off the street come from the AABI schools. I am very familiar with the hiring standards. An AABI accreditation allows AA to have a standard for college aviation programs. The AABI rating allows Rocky in Billings to stand on the same stature as Embry Riddle or Purdue.

So in your guys eyes is the AABI a deal breaker because my family been going to Montana state for generations and my family really wants me to go there and will be paying for my schooling

No it's not a deal breaker but it is a strong suggestion. The majors use that AABI rating to know that the program meets certain minimum standards. I would ask the folks at Montana State if their program qualifies for the reduction in hours on the ATP. If it is a recognized curriculum and degree from Montana State then it should allow you to get an ATP with reduced hours.

If your family / folks are going to pay for school there, then that's where you should go. Let's face it an education is important and that's more important than not going.

Back