Missed Approach procedures while conducting practice approaches while IFR

While conducting practice approaches at an uncontrolled airport, upon missed approach, I should:

• Follow the missed approach procedures, contact ATC and await further instructions

Votes: 27 100.0%
  • Immediately climb to my previously assigned cruising altitude and turn on course on my filed route

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JetBlast

I thought this was common knowledge, but after seeing pilots not follow proper procedure at several uncontrolled airports in my airspace on multiple occasions, I wanted to get a general consensus from those of you in here of what you believe is expected of you. ATCs job is to keep you safe and separated, I love the job, but some days are certainly more challenging than others.

Correct, not vfr practice approaches.
Up/down? Climb straight out and wait for the vector, Victor. Those pesky missed procedures are too complicated for me wee noggin.

Untowered? If you happen to catch a glimpse of the departure end numbers on the pass... it's a little known fact that a hammerhead reversal counts as a circle to land.

;)

You’d be surprised the number of times I’ve had guys check on, “hey center we’re missed off of ABC airport climbing to 5000 (missed approach alt 2400) turning direct XYZ airport”. Luckily there wasn’t a traffic conflict, and I was able to catch it in time. I thought this was common knowledge but apparently not, we do have a lot of flight schools in our vicinity though.

You’d be surprised the number of times I’ve had guys check on, “hey center we’re missed off of ABC airport climbing to 5000 (missed approach alt 2400) turning direct XYZ airport”. Luckily there wasn’t a traffic conflict, and I was able to catch it in time. I thought this was common knowledge but apparently not, we do have a lot of flight schools in our vicinity though.
Sounds like a reason for one of those pilot-controller programs. I've been to a number of them through the years and they have uniformly been a great learning experience for both groups.

So when you tell me to go around on a visual i should do the published ifr missed approach procedure right? Wait, but im at JFK, i need to do that ifr missed on the visual.

We could spend days exposing all the information some pilots misunderstand that others dont, and visa versa.

30 south of slc at 13k ft or so, good time to clear me to join the loc, descend to 7k, slow to 170knts too.

One of the things that irks me is when I hear another controller telling a pilot to fly the published missed, even though the next request takes them in the other direction with no traffic in the way.

So when you tell me to go around on a visual i should do the published ifr missed approach procedure right? Wait, but im at JFK, i need to do that ifr missed on the visual.

We could spend days exposing all the information some pilots misunderstand that others dont, and visa versa.

30 south of slc at 13k ft or so, good time to clear me to join the loc, descend to 7k, slow to 170knts too.
Yeah, the terminal environment is obviously quite different, and there’s no published missed to a visual. Unfortunately in the center world, my hands are a little more tied. Most of my airports are one in, one out. Until I get you above the minimum IFR altitude I can’t turn you without becoming liable for your terrain clearance. Once you’re above it, i can give you pretty much whatever you want traffic permitting, that’s usually why I issue a higher altitude and say leaving MIA cleared direct XXX. The terminal folks actually have minimum vectoring altitudes and a bunch of other rules I can’t use. I wish more pilots could come tour a facility, center and terminal, you’d be surprised what you’d learn. More controllers should also take advantage of the flight deck training program as well, it would be a huge eye opener for them.

Last edited:
One of the things that irks me is when I hear another controller telling a pilot to fly the published missed, even though the next request takes them in the other direction with no traffic in the way.
At my facility, we issue the published missed at least long enough to get you above the MIA and then either on course or vectors for the next approach.

I mean, if you're doing "practice" approaches under an IFR clearance, you're not practicing anything. You're flying IFR with all it's rules. If the wx isn't good enough to do them VFR and you need that clearance, then why on earth would you be deviating from it? It must be pretty flat where you are.

I mean, if you're doing "practice" approaches under an IFR clearance, you're not practicing anything. You're flying IFR with all it's rules. If the wx isn't good enough to do them VFR and you need that clearance, then why on earth would you be deviating from it? It must be pretty flat where you are.
Which of course retrogrades us back to the age old question: Is there even any such thing as a "practice" approach??

I mean, if you plan to do a missed approach and go on to another approach that’s good information for the controller to know.
Yeah, we have no problem accommodating approaches, and we always try to ask what your plans are so we can work our other traffic around you. The hardest part is when you protect for their missed approach and they deviate from the missed approach path, either turning direct a different airport or climb above the missed approach altitude, because that’s not protected. The other issue is protecting someone from terrain while below the minimum ifr altitude. Center wise, we’re not allowed to issue course guidance below the MIA unless it involves following the published missed.

Flat in certain areas, but a few small mountains in other areas. Usually most people follow the rules, but some guys just try to do what they want, the feds like shedding liability and putting it on the pilot if they can, restrictions, terrain clearance etc.

Back