Here is an example of some minimum qualifications for a Freight Pilot

Minimum Qualifications:
1200 hrs TT
25 hrs ME PIC (preferred)
FAA First Class Medical
500 hrs Cross-Country Time
100 hrs Night
75 hrs Instrument

How would someone accumulate that many hours before even getting a job as a pilot?

flight instruction is the easiest. there are other low time jobs, but flight instruction is the easiest

I agree with the other CFI. Teaching is the easiest and fastest way to build time. Other than that you would need to have a contact somewhere. I know a few of our students work for the U.S. Border Patrol down in Yuma. The B.P. told them if they got their commercial certificate, they would be able to fly right seat on the B.P. aircraft.

Some of our other students have contacts within law enforcement and they get to fly with the police.

Other jobs like banner towing, pipeline flying, traffic watch are available if you know someone in the field.

It's terrible when your a graduate of a 141 program, so you've got your Commercial SEL MEL Instrument and only 220 hours :(

It's terrible when your a graduate of a 141 program, so you've got your Commercial SEL MEL Instrument and only 220 hours :(

Its not terrible at all, its life. Everyone here finished their training with sub 300 hours plus or minus 50. Aviation is a marathon, not a race.

The total time is easy to get CFIing but the 500 hour cross country is tough, I have been instructing for a year and a half and only have 200 hours cross country total.

The total time is easy to get CFIing but the 500 hour cross country is tough, I have been instructing for a year and a half and only have 200 hours cross country total.
How are you counting your x-country? 135 minima specify airport to airport, not >50 NM between airports. So every flight where you go practice landings at an outlying field, every flight where you do a practice approach to a touch and go at another airport, it's all cross country. I'm at 820 TT with 360 x-c. Working the numbers, by the time I have the total time I'll easily have the cross country. I already have the instrument, and I'm 8 hours from the night.

How are you counting your x-country? 135 minima specify airport to airport, not >50 NM between airports. So every flight where you go practice landings at an outlying field, every flight where you do a practice approach to a touch and go at another airport, it's all cross country. I'm at 820 TT with 360 x-c. Working the numbers, by the time I have the total time I'll easily have the cross country. I already have the instrument, and I'm 8 hours from the night.

Useless for ATP...That is why I haven't done the ATP yet. I only have about 300 eligible XC.

doesn't work for ATP though. needs to be greater than 50nm for that, but no landing required. for 135 i probably have about 1200XC, but for ATP i have 512 (finally hit 500 about 1 month ago) just need to take my checkride!

Yeah, I realize that about ATP...that's why I have about 3 different totals for x-c time. !@#$%% FAA and their inconsistent definitions...

Back