Military Base Closings.......

[ QUOTE ]
Well, MikeD, what do you think about BTL(Battle Creek, MI)? I know they have few A-10s & ANG on the opposite of field. The local news reported about 200 million dollars revenue lost to local community.

MikeD, do you think they might shut these 2 bases?

adreamer
ps: I was worst than military personnels. I practically move every 2 years.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Battle Creek (WK Kellog Airport Air Guard Station) appears to be on the list for full closure. Whether the A-10 unit there will move or close up for good remains to be seen, but IMO they will likely close.

We've got a old college chum named Jeff Getzlaff that we all lost track of.

[ QUOTE ]
What do they mean by "realignments"?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Realign" is inbetween closure and doing nothing to a base. The base doesn't close, but may lose or gain units/personnel/aircraft, etc. What means in layman's terms, is an airbase may lose a squadron or a unit (the numbers in parantheses), or may gain personnel or units from another base shut down. Most of the Army posts you see that are making large gains in personnel, are the places that the Pentagon is planning on putting units that are moving back to the USA formerly based in Germany. The 1st Infantry Division and !st Armored Division are to relocate back here from Germany. For reference, an Army Division is about 10,000 to 16,000 personnel.

OK, I broke down the USAF side of the BRAC report. Here's what it says by base in detail:

Alabama:
Alabama ANG, Birmingham Intl Airport:

117th Air Refueling Wing to lose all KC-135 aircraft to 3 other Air Guard units, unit likely to close.

Alaska
Eielson AFB, Alaska:

To lose all F-16 and A-10 aircraft. A-10s to Barksdale (reserve) and Moody AFB, Ga (active-new). F-16s to Nellis AFB. Eielson will retain Alaska ANG KC-135 and HH-60 rescue aircraft.

Kulis ANG Station, AK:

To close and transfer C-130/HH-60 ANG aircraft to Eielson AFB.

Elmendorf AFB, AK:

To close one squadron of F-15C/D Eagles, and one squadron of F-15E Strike Eagles. These aircraft to transfer to Langley AFB, VA (C) and Mountain Home AFB, ID (E).

Arkansas

Fort Smith Air Guard Staion:

188th Fighter Wing F-16s to be given to California Air Guard at Fresno. 188th to close.

Arizona

Luke AFB:

56th Fighter Wing to lose 13 Block 25 F-16s and 24 Block 42 F-16s to retirement. Two squadrons there to close. 944th Fighter Wing (F-16 reserve) to lose all aircraft to 144th FW at Fresno, California.

California

Beale AFB:

To lose all KC-135 aircraft to two ANG units in TN and MI.

March ARB:

163rd AREFW of the California ANG to lose all KC-135s to 3 other ANG units and an active duty unit. 163rd will be personnel-only and will fly with the tenant 452nd Air Mobility Wing already at March.

Onizuka Air Force Station:

To close. Air Force Space Command functions to transfer to Vandenburg AFB, Ca.

Connecticut

103rd Fighter Wing at Bradley Intl Airport to close. All A-10s transferred to 104th Fighter Wing at Barnes MAP, MA.

Deleware

Deleware ANG C-130 unit to close. Units 8 C-130s to be transferred to 3 other ANG units.

Georgia

Robins AFB:

19th ARW to close. Units KC-135 aircraft to be transferred to McConnell AFB, KS.

Idaho

Boise ANG Base:

ANG to lose it's C-130s at this base; all C-130s to be transferred to Wyoming ANG. Boise will retain it's ANG A-10s only.

Mountain Home AFB:

To lose all F-15 C/D and F-16 aircraft. These two squadrons are to close and redistribute their aircraft to Nellis and Florida ANG (F-15), and Nellis and South Carolina ANG (F-16). Mountain Home to be F-15E Strike Eagle base only.

Illinois

183rd Fighter Wing to close. F-16 aircraft to be transferred to 122nd Fighter Wing, Fort Wayne, IN.

Indiana

181st Fighter Wing, Hulman (Terre Haute) to close. F-16s to be transferred to 122nd FW at Fort Wayne.

Lousiana

NAS New Orleans Joint Reserve Base:

926th Fighter Wing to close. 926th A-10 aircraft to be transferred to Whiteman AFB (442nd FW) and Barksdale AFB (917th Wing).

Maryland

Andrews AFB:

To lose 2 C-21s and the USAF Flight Standards Agency to Will Rogers World Airport, OK.

Martin State Airport:

To lose 8 C-130J aircraft to two other ANG units. Martin State will be A-10s only.

Massacusetts

Otis ANG Base:

To close. MA ANG 102nd Fighter Wing to close. F-15 aircraft to be transferred to Florida ANG.

Michigan

Selfridge ANG Base:

927th Air Refueling Wing (reserve) to close and give KC-135 aircraft to 127th Wing, Michigan ANG, replacing the C-130 aircraft that are part of the wing. On the fighter side of the 127th Wing, all F-16s to be retired and replaced by A-10s from Kellogg Field, Battle Creek, MI.

WK Kellogg Field:

Battle Creek 110th FW unit to close and transfer A-10 aircraft to Selfridge ANGB 127th FW

Minnesota

Duluth ANG Base:

ANG 148th Fighter Wing to close. Unit's F-16s to be retired

Mississippi

Key Field ANGB.

186th Air Refueling Wing to close. Unit's KC-135 aircraft to be transferred to 4 different ANG units.

Missouri

St Louis Airport Air Guard Station:

131st Fighter Wing to close. F-15A aircraft to be transferred to Nellis AFB.

Montana

Great Falls Intl Airport:

120th Fighter Wing, Montana ANG to close. F-16 aircraft to be transferred to Alabama ANG and, Iowa ANG, and retired.

Nevada

Nellis AFB:

All F-16 Block 42 aircraft to be transferred to Oklahoma ANG or retired.

Reno-Tahoe ANG Base:

152nd Airlift Wing to close. Unit's C-130 aircraft to be transferred to ANG in Arkansas.

New Jersey

Atlantic City:

177th Fighter Wing to convert from F-16 to F-15A, aircraft from Otis ANGB. 177th F-16s to be transferred to Vermont ANG.

New Mexico

Cannon AFB:

To close. 4 squadrons there to close. F-16 aircraft to be transferred to 4 ANG units and 2 active-duty units.

New York

Niagara Falls ANG Station:

To close. 107th Air Refueling Wing of the NY ANG to close and transfer it's aircraft to Maine ANG. 914th Airlift Wing (reserve) to transfer lose it's C-130 aircraft.

Schenectady County Airport:

ANG 109th Airlift Wing to lose 4 C-130 aircraft.

North Carolina

Pope AFB:

To lose active duty C-130 and A-10s. C-130s to move to Little Rock AFB. A-10s to move to Moody AFB, Ga. Base to gain C-130s from ANG at West Virginia.

North Dakota

Grand Forks AFB:

To lose all aircraft. All KC-135s will be transferred to other ANG or active-duty units. Base to remain open with no aircraft. Possible future site for UAV operations.

Hector Field, Fargo:

119th Fighter Wing, ANG, to close. Unit's F-16A-15 ADF aircraft to be retired.

Ohio

Des Moines:

132nd Fighter Wing to close. Unit's F-16 aircraft to be transferred to Toledo, OH and Tulsa, OK ANG.

Mansfield-Lahm Airport:

To close. ANG 179th Airlift Wing to close. Unit's C-130 aircraft to be transferred to Maxwell AFB, AL.

Springfield-Beckley:

178th Fighter Wing to close. Unit's F-16s to be transferred to 3 other ANG units.

Oklahoma

Will Rogers World Airport:

Oklahoma ANG 137th Airlift Wing to lose it's C-130s and move to Tinker AFB, OK. 137th will retain personnel only and will fly with the 507th Air Refueling Wing as an associate unit.

Tinker AFB:

Oregon

Portland Intl Airport ANGB:

Reserve 939th Air Refueling Wing to lose it's KC-135 aircraft. ANG 142nd Fighter Wing to close with it's F-15A aircraft transferred to New Jersey and Lousiana ANG.

Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh Intl Airport ANGB:

911th Airlift Wing to relocate with it's C-130 aircraft to Pope AFB, NC.

South Dakota

Ellsworth AFB:

To close. B-1 aircradt to be transferred to Dyess AFB, TX.

Texas

Dyess AFB:

317th Airlift Group to close. C-130 aircraft to be transferred to ANG and active-duty. This is to make space for 24 B-1s coming from Ellsworth AFB, SD, which is to close.

Ellington ANGB:

147th Fighter Wing, ANG, to close. Units F-16 aircraft to be retired.

Randolph AFB:

USAF Advanced Instrument School to relocate to Will Rogers World Airport, OK.

Tennessee

Nashville Airport ANGB:

118th Airlift Wing ANG to close. C-130 aircrat of the unit to be transferred to Illinois and Kentucky ANG.

Utah

Hill AFB:

419th Fighter Wing (reserve) to lose it's F-16 aircraft. 419th FW will be personnel only and will fly with resident active-duty 388th FW at Hill.

Virginia

Richmond Intl Airport ANGS:

192nd Fighter Wing to lose it's F-16s. Unit will be personnel only and will fly with Langley AFB 1st Fighter Wing in F/A-22 operations.

Washington

Fairchild AFB:

Washington ANG 141st Air Refuel Wing to lose it's KC-135 aircraft. Unit will be personnel only and will fly with the resident active-duty 92nd Air Refueling Wing.

West Virginia

Yeager Field:

130th Airlift Wing to close. Units 8 C-130s to be transferred to Pope AFB, NC.

Wisconsin

General Mitchell Field, Milwaukee, Air Force Reserve Station:

To be closed. AF Reserve 440th Airlift Wing to close. Unit's C-130 aircraft to be transferred elsewhere.

I wonder if they'll let us land at RDR (GAFB) now? I hope so, it would alleviate some problems at KGFK.

Mike,

how long does this take to close the base or reposition squadrons?

I heard about the South Dakota base on the radio and how they're moving all the B-1s to Texas and they had a some brass talking about how it was a bad idea. You put all your B-1s in one place, not too safe if you ask me.

[ QUOTE ]
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050513/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/base_closings_list_9

This site doesnt show Grand Forks AFB closing. The base provides the approach control for the Grand Forks airport, and anyone who has flown local IFR there knows that MSP centre could never handle all the traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either did the msnbc.com site. But it was on the local news here so its true.

Yeah, not sure what they'll do about approach control. If they close approach control here (which would be stupid) they would have to stock another one at ZMP just for us. I don't think it will happen anyway. Look at Fargo, they don't have our kind of traffic and they have app/dep.

Alaska
Eielson AFB, Alaska:

To lose all F-16 and A-10 aircraft. A-10s to Barksdale (reserve) and Moody AFB, Ga (active-new). F-16s to Nellis AFB. Eielson will retain Alaska ANG KC-135 and HH-60 rescue aircraft.

Lousiana

NAS New Orleans Joint Reserve Base:

926th Fighter Wing to close. 926th A-10 aircraft to be transferred to Whiteman AFB (442nd FW) and Barksdale AFB (917th Wing).

Even though I hate that these communities and people are losing and being displaced, so.....so...glad that Barksdale is gonna grow as a result of this round of base closing. Can't wait to see more Hogs in the pattern around here.

Mike, I guess it's safe to assume that Barksdale is a major player for S.A.C.?

AREA 5150

[ QUOTE ]
Deleware

Deleware ANG C-130 unit to close. Units 8 C-130s to be transferred to 3 other ANG units.

[/ QUOTE ]

Called one of my best friends who is in that unit and he told me they're just losing some personnel as part of a realignment ... checked the FOX NEWS file which also shows they're only losing people as a realignment as well.

The other base here in the state of WV, Charleston, is being realigned as well. Too much money is being pumped into our base to axe it now.

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I broke down the USAF side of the BRAC report. Here's what it says by base in detail:

Alaska
Eielson AFB, Alaska:

Kulis ANG Station, AK:

To close and transfer C-130/HH-60 ANG aircraft to Eielson AFB.

Elmendorf AFB, AK:

To close one squadron of F-15C/D Eagles, and one squadron of F-15E Strike Eagles. These aircraft to transfer to Langley AFB, VA (C) and Mountain Home AFB, ID (E).

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I think all the aircraft from Kulis are just moving across town to Elmendorf, and the ANG unit is gaining 4 aircraft from Texas. All in all that's probably not a bad move, as Kulis is actually loacted at Anchorage International, and when they move that property will probably get snapped up really quickly and transformed to civilian ops.

Also, it's important to realize that the report released today is only the SecDef's reccomendation to the board, and is not the final deal. There's still a long way to go yet......

Anybody know the deal with Homestead ARB? First it was Homestead Air Force Base, after Hurricane Andrew, it closed for a while then became a Reserve base. After a few years there were serious talks about closing the base and turning it into a reliver airport for MIA (which TNT failed to become).
Recently (a year or so ago), I heard that they were making it a perminant base for a training wing or were just gonna get rid of the field completely? Any word?

Besides Key West NAS, there is nothing down south for protection, to me it wouldn't seem wise to close it. I know it wasn't on the list, but who knows what can happen?

Its sad though, no? Im still depressed that they held a Phish concert on Plattsburgh AFB. Seeing bases like Alameda, Elmendorf,etc. closing(ed) is pretty depressing. Its like seeing birds getting cut up at Tucson or Davis-Monthan.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This site doesnt show Grand Forks AFB closing. The base provides the approach control for the Grand Forks airport, and anyone who has flown local IFR there knows that MSP centre could never handle all the traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either did the msnbc.com site. But it was on the local news here so its true.

Yeah, not sure what they'll do about approach control. If they close approach control here (which would be stupid) they would have to stock another one at ZMP just for us. I don't think it will happen anyway. Look at Fargo, they don't have our kind of traffic and they have app/dep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Grand Forks isn't closing, it's just losing it's based aircraft for now. ATC services will stay. Anticipating putting UAV's there.

A tiny shout-out concerning the Nav side of BRAC.
Even though I had no connection whatsoever to the "Bubblehead" Navy, I was somewhat surprised/saddened to see that Naval Submarine Base Groton, CT was on the chopping block.
shocked.gif

That place is to submariners like Pensacola is to Naval aviation.

Yeah, I was wonsering about that too.

Any subs can be moved easily enough. But the sub training school is there, where will it go?

Quick questions, what are the blocks for in fighter aircraft? Like the F-16s down here at Homestead AFB are block 25F I think.

[ QUOTE ]
Quick questions, what are the blocks for in fighter aircraft? Like the F-16s down here at Homestead AFB are block 25F I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just different models within the F-16 aircraft type; different capabilities and/or avionics/engines. Same as seeing Cessna 182A, 182P, 182Q, etc.

Back