Miles O'brien of CNN flies personal helicopter...

dpgtime

Miles O'brien Americas favorite flying TV news anchor (who owns a sr22 courtesy of CNN) does it again! he will fly a personal helicopter on the situation room.

WOW go Miles..I still remember you telling me about V1 for 5 hours on live T.V.! A true Bob Hoover of the teleprompter!:nana2:

Is he also a GoldSeal CFII MEI? if not it could go down as one of the worst travesties in Aviation History.:whatever::whatever:

Miles O'brien Americas favorite flying TV news anchor (who owns a sr22 courtesy of CNN) does it again! he will fly a personal helicopter on the situation room.

WOW go Miles..I still remember you telling me about V1 for 5 hours on live T.V.! A true Bob Hoover of the teleprompter!:nana2:

I really can't stand that guy.

He rocks a Private ASEL with Instrument Privileges. Even more impressive, if you put the brain to it, a current medical

When he has more than 1 page on the register, I MIGHT turn up the volume on his aviation commentary....

Doug, is he signed up?

NJC '08 - O'Brien's doin' keg stands...

(should look good on Google:bandit:)

Miles does own an SR-22 but he and a partner bought it. Not provided by CNN.

I know Miles and you won't find a better guy who tries to get the story right. And having flown with him a few times, he is actually a pretty good pilot.

He rocks a Private ASEL with Instrument Privileges. Even more impressive, if you put the brain to it, a current medical. When he has more than 1 page on the register, I MIGHT turn up the volume on his aviation commentary....

As he frequently uses his SR-22 to go for stories, why wouldn't his medical be current?

Let's see.. Bob Hager reported on aviation for CBS for years and I do not believe he has any aviation experience. NBC uses a number of people also not aviators and ABC also has no one with real aviation experience although they do use Nance when things go bump.

Glad to hear he is a competent pilot. The CNN provided SR22 comment was in regard to his wage which allowed him to buy a SR22.

He is "Miles" above the rest!

As he frequently uses his SR-22 to go for stories, why wouldn't his medical be current? maybe the cynic in me, but alot of the "Aviation Experts" have no qualifications, as you point out below

Let's see.. Bob Hager reported on aviation for CBS for years and I do not believe he has any aviation experience. NBC uses a number of people also not aviators and ABC also has no one with real aviation experience although they do use Nance when things go bump.

Not a knock against the guy, but as we all know, PPL knowledge does not make an aviation expert, in the same manner I can't wordsmith a bunch of words in front of a live camera.

I'd drink a beer with Miles as a fellow pilot, but one should have a true expert.

Next time you see him, tell him Polar'll buy him a beer if he wants to wing his Cirrus down to central FL. I'll buy his dinner and throw in a couple of my "Well, there I was...." stories for free. We're having a get together on the 16th if his sked is clear. I'll pick him up at COI on my way out....

Not a knock against the guy, but as we all know, PPL knowledge does not make an aviation expert, in the same manner I can't wordsmith a bunch of words in front of a live camera.

I'd drink a beer with Miles as a fellow pilot, but one should have a true expert.

Next time you see him, tell him Polar'll buy him a beer if he wants to wing his Cirrus down to central FL. I'll buy his dinner and throw in a couple of my "Well, there I was...." stories for free. We're having a get together on the 16th if his sked is clear. I'll pick him up at COI on my way out....

You're "well, there I was..." stories rock. Miles ought to be there.

And at the same time, judging one's knowledge on a single point, ie PPL, doesn't tell the whole story either. I know he taps various sources around the industry to get a broader picture.

I will see if I can find his email and let him know he is a topic of discussion here on the forum. From there it is in his ballpark.

And at the same time, judging one's knowledge on a single point, ie PPL, doesn't tell the whole story either. I know he taps various sources around the industry to get a broader picture.

I'm basing my opinion of him on his reporting on air which I consider to be absolutely horrendous when it comes to aviation issues. I cringe every time I see his face appear when aviation is the topic at hand. He seems like a nice guy, and he's a fine reporter on other issues, but they need a real aviation expert to handle the aviation issues on air.

I will see if I can find his email and let him know he is a topic of discussion here on the forum. From there it is in his ballpark.

I think I've posted enough to let my true colors shine through. I really doubt you'd believe I'd base my entire evalutation on the guy just because he ONLY has a PPL. There are some incredibly smart people that only have PPLs, some have no airman ratings and they're aviation experts no doubt.

However, I have cable. I watch the incessant, and wrong based on fact, speculation about issues. The Jetblue nosegear incident and the SWA accident.

Make no mistake, A Cooper had a true aviation expert he was interviewing after the MDW debacle with SWA. I can't remember the guy's name, but he flew airliners. AC asked how fast the passengers got off the plane. The expert said, "90 seconds", which as we all know is the time mark for certification. AC chuckled in disbelief, and said something along the lines of it doesn't seem likely but if you say so.

I think my email is on the profile, if it's not PM me, and I'll give it to you.

However, I have cable. I watch the incessant, and wrong based on fact, speculation about issues. The Jetblue nosegear incident and the SWA accident.

Make no mistake, A Cooper had a true aviation expert he was interviewing after the MDW debacle with SWA. I can't remember the guy's name, but he flew airliners. AC asked how fast the passengers got off the plane. The expert said, "90 seconds", which as we all know is the time mark for certification. AC chuckled in disbelief, and said something along the lines of it doesn't seem likely but if you say so.

Sorry but relatively new to the forum and just having fun... but don't know Anderson Cooper. Never met him and don't watch him.

And don't know you and your 'true colors' either but I'll take your word that you are an upstanding guy with lots of 'there I was' stories.

Well, I think he can afford those toys. He sold his condo in NY (after having for 2 years) for nice 1.2 million dollar profit. (At least according to NY Tax records).

Wish I could make that kinda money selling my house! :rolleyes:

Wasn't Bob Hager on NBC? If he's the guy I'm thinking of, he seemed to do a pretty good job.

WAY above and beyond the stinky job Dr. Bob "The Tool" Arnot did. If you don't remember him, imagine a dork who got an online degree from McUniversity, then went to "med school" on some remote island just north of South America, then wanted to play pilot, THEN wanted to play reporter. If I recall, I threw a beer at the TV when he covered the Alaska MD80 crash off California. I think that was the last time NBC had him on the air.

Sorry but relatively new to the forum and just having fun... but don't know Anderson Cooper. Never met him and don't watch him.

And don't know you and your 'true colors' either but I'll take your word that you are an upstanding guy with lots of 'there I was' stories.

No Problemo. I'm a FNG here too.

My offer still stands though.
cheers.gif

Glad i got the Miles O'Brien fan club going! I really have no beef with Miles, he is a fellow aviator and I am just a student pilot 3 weeks away from my PPL. He does his job we'll! I just found it funny seeing him on the personal helicopter during the situation room with the worst anchor on T.V....Wolf Blitzer (WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR SAYING THAT)...It looked as funny as if I got on it! The V1 explanation has become infamous! I'm pretty sure it was the Comair accident or the LAX JetBlue. Something about the V1 has always gotten my funny bone and i don't have a conceivable answer as to why. I guess i always imagine the general public with no aviation knowledge going..."ok...so V1...ok that means what again...ok..yeah....uh...uhhh...yeah that makesss...senssse V1..yeaaah...V....1...whats the V stand for again?..."

Back