Miles O'brien of CNN flies personal helicopter...

After re-reading my post, I see where I came off brash, and I sure didn't communicate my ideas with any substance or effective reasoning.

I will re-iterate that I have yet to see a news anchor that's truely an "aviation expert", including Mr. O'Brien.

Again, I'm not knocking the man. If Orange Anchor, Miles, and myself were sitting around a table, I'm absolutely sure I'd be the dumbest guy at the bar. You don't get to the pinnacle of your profession without being successful, ambitious, intelligent that coincide with a dose of timing and opportunity.

Even further, I'm definately not an aviation expert. I know my small slice of the pie, but that's about it. The longer I'm around, the smaller my slice looks to me.

Since you flew with Miles, Orange, I'm sure you can judge if he's a good stick and makes sound judgement. I meant it when I was impressed that he had a current medical. At least he flies, enjoys doing it, and is furthering his knowledge.

I'm sure he's a great reporter, culling his sources, and putting together a great story.

However, what makes me question his qualification is the following: Has he ever taken a transport category/airline level training class that engaged in any type of systems he's reporting on. What, if any, training has he had in accident investigation, as he's reported on a number of accidents in his career? What knowledge base has to to draw from to provide technical insight?

To me, you should have a background in an area before you start going outside the story and providing "insight".

I read political books, partcipate in the process, and have formed opinions, but that doesn't make me an "expert" in politics.

Hopefully this clarifies the point I was trying to make.

He's a good dude, likes to fly (thus the drink beer and BS about airplanes proffer), and works hard to provide for himself and his family.

Capt C said
However, what makes me question his qualification is the following: Has he ever taken a transport category/airline level training class that engaged in any type of systems he's reporting on. What, if any, training has he had in accident investigation, as he's reported on a number of accidents in his career? What knowledge base has to to draw from to provide technical insight?

Miles asks questions and he is good at that. I know he has spent considerable time at NASA and I believe he flew the shuttle sim a few times. Somewhere I remember his name was on the list to fly a sortie before Challenger blew up.

His duties have changed and I don't think he is covering the launches like he used to. I know he did some considerable background with engineers and safety experts in a story about Columbia. He has also done a couple of stories on the FFDOs and I think he recently went through the NASA neutral buoyancy training.

And yes, you need some experience to tell a story but more over, you need to be a good story teller. Tom Clancy was never a spy but he has written some decent books if one measures skill by book sales. As most writers will tell you, the prime targets are to inform or entertain and if possible, do both.

I think more than anything, with Miles, there is no agenda. No axe to grind. Just the story.

I don't want a "good story teller" when I'm watching the news. I want accurate information. If I want accurate analysis from CNN on an aviation matter, then I wait for Al Haynes to call in (and he usually does during accidents or incidents, thank God); Miles isn't qualified to give accurate analysis.

It is funny to read those who are backtracking on the whole "Miles is a tool" strain the thread originally took in deference to the fact that he may actually show up here. I think the odds are pretty small a guy would show up to face the music...he isn't Tron Guy after all. BTW - what happened to him? He rocked - favorite member ever.

you TOO can become tron guy!

or GIRL!

tronhoodie.jpg

I will give Mr. O'brien his due respect based on his experience level (which is low) and as a fellow pilot. BUT, his reporting on any aviation related topic above his experience level is crap. You flew your Cirrus all by yourself, good job Miles! Now can you explain to me why you are commenting on an inflight emergency on a commercial airliner? You rambled about, V1, wow, i bet it took 3 whole seconds to google that. Please! CNN has plenty of money, why not hire a retired Captain or military officer? I think if you want to talk like an expert, you should actually be one. If you come to an area you know nothing about, admit it! Then call in the expert, my problem with him is his uncanny ability to talk out of his A$$.

Sample line

" we are hearing word this system, blah blah, is not working properly, since I am not an Aviation expert I would like to bring on Captain So and So from Airline X or Air force colonel X to comment on this situation"

Flying novice bringing in flying expert, how hard is that?
That being said, a family member works for CNN and says he is a pretty nice guy.

I don't want a "good story teller" when I'm watching the news. I want accurate information.

You crack me up...

Whether you know it or not, there are plenty of writers who take the facts, blend it into a digestible format and then present it. Most writers I know do about 10-12 drafts/edits before they submit a piece. Why? Not for accuracy but to make it readable and understandable. Not to infer anyone is dumb but without polishing a story, no one will remember anything. And being a good story teller does not mean one has to diminish accuracy.

If I want accurate analysis from CNN on an aviation matter, then I wait for Al Haynes to call in (and he usually does during accidents or incidents, thank God); Miles isn't qualified to give accurate analysis.

What standards do you use for other reporters/journalists? Is there a "PCL_128 certification" like ISO9000?

You crack me up... thanks for the good laugh.

I think we should get Miles to do an expose on JetCareers! He could interview Dr. Forred and show the world flying community this great site Doug created! Maybe they can get me on that personal helicopter and watch me attempt to type in the JetCareers web address. That should be a challenge. Anybody want to orchestrate a Miles O'Brien fly-In?

We can call it O'Brienkosh......

Back