Midwest fly in

jtrain609

Antisocial Monster
Heya everyone,

I saw that a few people would be game for a Midwest kind of fly in. A few people said Ohio, so let's see how many people are serious and where they can get to.

I'm up in Michigan, not too far from Mark. Let's try to narrow things down like this; what are some dates and places that ya'll could fly into?

Reply back and let's see what we can do here.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Count me in. I can do pretty much anytime probably (although if I end up switching jobs, my schedule could get a little crazy for a couple of weeks). The closer to Ohio it is, the less notice I can do it on. I'm not too familiar with all the airports around here yet, so I don't really have a preference.

I am open to fly most Saturdays. I would need to know probably a couple of weeks in advance though. I would have no problem with Ohio...not sure what airport though. If we made it near the Indiana border we could probably get Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. Maybe Wisconsin, Kentucky and Tennessee if people were willing to go a little farther. Lets's see who else is interrested.

If you guys have the fly-in, send me a digital picture and I'll put it up on the website!

I maybe could make it, depending on wether I take the job I have been offered, for the time beng you can count me in!

BKL would be great (or the Cleveland area)...since I'm still just a lowly pre-solo student.

My wife's doing exterships for the next two months so anytime then is great.

Naunga

Yea you can count me in, just tell me when, and where. I am in Chicago so i would be willing to fly to IN, or parts of OH, and MI.

I'm game. I am open to fly just about anywhere, but think that somewhere in Indiana, Ohio, or southern Michigan would be the most centrally located. I'll take a look at the sectional later, but I have to head out to go watch the Thunderbirds perform at BTL!

I know - frig the Midwest - let's all fly-in to the Virgin Islands, Bahamas or Dominican Republic????
grin.gif

Bluestreak,

So I flew from Ann Arbor to Kalamazoo the other day, right? I was being vectored over BTL for the visual 23 at AZO. Approach calls me up and was like "You'll have a flight of F-16's across your nose at 3,000'" (I was at 4,000'). I start looking and see one of the F-16's and tell approach that I have one of them. He was like "Alright thanks 71X, traffic no factor break Chaos 16 you're cleared up to 10,000' call Chicago Center on *insert UHF freq. here.* The next thing I know that one F-16 (and there could have been four of them) puts himself into like a 60 deg. climb and rockets the crap into the cloud layer. I've NEVER seen an airplane climb that fast that was anywhere near me. Had to have been one of the coolest things ever.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I'm from Central Ohio (smack between CLE and CMH) and I can try to make it. Temporarily pencil me in.

Flybub,

Where are you from?

I'm from the Ashland which sounds like it might be close to you.

Naunga

Alright guys, we've got some interest so let's set some dates and airports. I'm gonna create two polls here, fill them out with what you can do and we'll work it from there.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1057254011John Herreshoff">

Date of Midwest Fly In
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />August 10th
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />August 16th
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />August 17th
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />August 17th
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

If you can't tell, I threw up those dates based on what I know I can do. By planning in August we should be able to get people to clear out their schedules enough...hopefully.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Note: SEE SECOND POST FOR AIRPORT POLL!

Now for airports. Here are my best guesses.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1057254034John Herreshoff">

Location of Midwest Fly In
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Ann Arbor, Michigan (ARB)
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Kalamazoo, Michigan (AZO)
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Cleveland, Ohio (BKL)
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Jackson, Michigan (JXN)
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Here's the rest of the story; if we do Ann Arbor or Jackson Michigan as a spot I will probably drive as opposed to fly in. If that happens I drive a mini-van that will seat 7 people (legally....it holds more) so we can get out to a local place to eat. I know some places in Ann Arbor, and it does not matter so much at Jackson as I believe they have a restruant on the field.

If ya'll have any other ideas throw em up and I'll add them to the poll. Those are just what I kinda thought up off the top of my head.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Hey guys, just got back from watching the Thunderbirds perform at BTL. I've seen 'em a ton of times and they still get me fired up each time
grin.gif
Now, if I could only fly F-16s! This fly-in sounds like it might actually come together. I am still open to fly somewhere that is convenient for everyone who wants to attend. The airports that John suggested work well. If we met in Jackson (JXN) they have a pretty good restaurant on field. If we met in Kalamazoo (AZO) we have tons of near-by restaurants, the Aviation History Museum ( AirZoo ) which has some great aircraft, and plenty of hot college women
grin.gif
These airports are convenient for us MI folk, but might not be for the others, so if you have any ideas throw 'em out. Indiana seems to be centrally located but I am not too familiar with the airports down there, besides SBN and a few others. I am looking forward to this if it all goes through!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BKL would be great (or the Cleveland area)...since I'm still just a lowly pre-solo student.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it'd be perfect for me too...but its further for the Michigan guys. We should find someplace in between. Anyone ever been to Put-In-Bay? That airports pretty cool.

Anyways Naunga, you are more than welcome to ride with me if it turns out to be someplace other than BKL- I'll even let you fly left seat in whatever aircraft I am able to comandeer.
smile.gif

Naunga,
I am from Ashland, born and raised. If we don't meet up at the fly-in we'll have to meet up some other time.

What are you doing? (Instructing, charter, commercial)

Cya

Its all good to me! All I need is someone to swing by New Orleans and pick me up. 1
Smokey....................................................

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways Naunga, you are more than welcome to ride with me if it turns out to be someplace other than BKL

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks!

Naunga

I'm a 7.6 hour student.

When did you graduate HS?

I'm class of '94 and my brother is class of '00

Naunga.

Back