Midwest Express leases a “new” Corp. headquarters

When this first come out, I exchanged emails with one of the guys heading this up. They originally planned on CRJ 200s, but had already shifted their focus to the 700. I believe they’d be 1x2 with the old Signature seats.

@Derg — dump the bus!

Last edited:
When this first come out, I exchanged emails with one of the guys heading this up. They originally planned on CRJ 200s, but had already shifted their focus to the 700. I believe they’d be 1x2 with the old Signature seats.

@Derg — dump the bus!

Ha!

I wish them luck, but the magic of MidEx was meteoric. Kimberly-Clarks corporate flight department, and outgrowth into charter, then scheduled operation, then expansion, always taking “Milwaukee’s Hometown Airline” into consideration then *poof*.

I would revive Western Air Express, just so I could paint the airplanes in the 1930's livery. It's my favorite of all time.

People generally want to grab nostalgia. The good old days and such. You can paint TWA on a MAXX but it's still going to crash and even if it doesn't it will not be as cool as my Grandpa wearing his cool double-breasted gray uniform getting off a Connie in 1959 or a 707 in 1961 being Captain SkyGod. But people will often equate and chase the past rather than build something more amazing without the constraints of looking backward. This isn't just airlines, it's all businesses and the GOP looking constantly for "the next Reagan" or Democrats always looking for that JFK Camelot thing. Looking backward severely limits your vision going forward.

But check out that kick ass plane in my avatar!

As a former Y9 counter/ramp agent, it would be great to see it! We always loved the best care in the air.. but in this day and age it would be hard to make a go of it. DC9-10/30 series are few and far between (for the sake of nostalgia). Heck I remember when they were looking at this new fangled Boeing 717. But maybe I was clouded by the American Trans Air L1011 that was firing up across the ramp.

Bleh. I always wonder why relaunches of defunct brands sound like good ideas. They aren’t.

It would be like relaunching Western. Why? Western already done did Western and did it better.
Someone did that, a Bellingham, Washington-based 737-400 in Western colors operated by Xtra Airways serving SAN and a few others. Lasted maybe 2 months lol.

05D4EA39-910B-4E7F-A349-1BCB7ED4BA20.jpeg

I saw the bot picked this up August. Kind of a let-down to see it immediately subbed out and 200s. Also, I’m surprised KC wasn’t one of the initial destinations.

Last edited:

@Derg — dump the bus!

Nooooooo, not going back! :)

When I put in my resignation at Skyway, the DO clearly said “Well, you know you can’t come back” so I’m completely fine.

This would almost be as funny at the former CPZ CPO offering to “walk my stuff in” :)

Unfortunately, Elite's various deals to fly under others' brands haven't done well.

CalJet by Elite provided scheduled (but irregular) service between Carslbad CA and Las Vegas, ending ostensibly because CalJet stopped paying Elite. Ventures to Branson MO similarly didn't get very far for long. Their own branded scheduled service has a long history of cities started and served for a short period of time before pulling out.

Elite stopped all service in Melbourne FL ealier this year, despite the fact that most of their operational offices are at MLB (HQ and major maintenance are in Maine). There are repeated but unverifiable stories about company credit cards being refused and un-paid parts bills. I'm told that the cost of retro-fitting their fleet (10 CRJs,. mostly 200s and 700s) with ADS-B would be particularly high. Someone posted a picture of a CRJ wearing a Denver Boot on the front landing gear. :eek2:

Much of Elite's flying is charter, with scheduled service between Florida and EWR & PWM, and occasional other destinations, often seasonal or opportunistic. Operationally, they seem to know what they're doing. Business- and route-development seem to be more of a problem. They have the same problems in flight crew recruitment and retention that everyone else has. I wish them well, but am not holding my breath.

Maybe Midwest ought to buy that Dornier in Kazakhstan.

There are repeated but unverifiable stories about company credit cards being refused and un-paid parts bills. I'm told that the cost of retro-fitting their fleet (10 CRJs,. mostly 200s and 700s) with ADS-B would be particularly high.
I can confirm from a friend that they have zero of their planes ADS-B compliant and upon trying to get some slots last minute, discovered all the shops are full. It'll be interesting in two days to say the least.

Back