Mesaba hiring/interview

jynxyjoe

Queso King
Thought I'd share this in case anyone is coming up for an interview at Mesaba or any other airline. I preface this story with a reality that Mesaba is being selective but I think it's a good thing to talk about anyhow.

Last interview we brought out 9 people. If we bring out 9 people we'd like to see them all hired, realizing one or two probably not right for the company.

Come in, be HAPPY, be RESPECTFUL, don't pout, no one cares what jet you flew or what "hard core" 121 time you got while on reserve just before getting furloughed. These guys spent +10 years as FO's on a Saab 340 and Avro Jet with a crap contract and fought to get the pay back up. These guys paid their dues MANY times over, you aren't gonna have any stories for them. Don't get long winded.

What interviewers are looking for:
#1. Can we stand to fly with you for 4 days at a time. (eliminated 6)
#2. Can you fly. (eliminated 2 more)

People ask me if Mesaba is favoring guys with 121 time. We favor guys we can stand to be around.

PS. Maybe it was just a bad day or an alignment of the stars we'll never see again, but the guy told me he came in on his day off for this and it was a "giant waste of time to get ONE guy out of NINE"

Thanks for the post. I interviewed with them last week and thought the interview had gone bad. (I wasn't prepared to answer CRJ systems questions since I spent most of the time brushing up on Seminole stuff. :( I know, I know....) Anyway, I was a little bit nervous throughout the 2-on-1 interview but I guess they were able to look past that.

I was happy to get a call from them yesterday and highly look forward to joining the pilot group over there.

Congrats. How long did you have your application in the system for before getting a call for an interview, and what kinds of times are they looking for when calling in an interviewee?

Currently poolin it for another airline but don't expect to get called in any time in the near future or at all for that matter.

Thanks a lot!

I honestly don't know what they're looking for as far as time. I had 650TT/27ME and was given the opportunity to interview. I put in my app Aug 31st and got a call mid-September...

Very nice. Thats awesome. Mesaba seems like a good place to be. I wish I would have thrown in my application there in the beginning of the year when they were taking on a bunch of new hires but I had a quarter left of college and pretty much caught the tail end, literally, of the hiring boom when I graduated this past June. Such is life I suppose.

Very nice. Thats awesome. Mesaba seems like a good place to be. I wish I would have thrown in my application there in the beginning of the year when they were taking on a bunch of new hires but I had a quarter left of college and pretty much caught the tail end, literally, of the hiring boom when I graduated this past June. Such is life I suppose.

Better to finish your degree first. Don't worry, we'll have room for a lot more soon.

I interviewed with Mesaba on the first of October. The HR interview went fairly well, they decided to give to a conditional hire pending the simulator evaluation and the drug test. The simulator ride went alright, I made one mistake but corrected for it. The person doing the sim ride said it was not a big deal cause I caught my mistake, and said that I am trainable. Then off to the drug test. Well I still have yet to hear anything and the more each day passes the more I feel I didn't get the job. I have been reading other forums from people who were in my interviewing class getting calls back 3-5 days after the interview. They said not to call them 7-10 days after the interview and I was just wondering what anyone thinks about this. Thank you.

I interviewed with Mesaba on the first of October. The HR interview went fairly well, they decided to give to a conditional hire pending the simulator evaluation and the drug test. The simulator ride went alright, I made one mistake but corrected for it. The person doing the sim ride said it was not a big deal cause I caught my mistake, and said that I am trainable. Then off to the drug test. Well I still have yet to hear anything and the more each day passes the more I feel I didn't get the job. I have been reading other forums from people who were in my interviewing class getting calls back 3-5 days after the interview. They said not to call them 7-10 days after the interview and I was just wondering what anyone thinks about this. Thank you.
Oh? I must have seen you at the interview. I interviewed on Oct 1st, also. I'm still in touch with another guy who interviewed with us. He hasn't gotten a call yet either, no rejection e-mails/letters...I'd say it's a good sign if you haven't gotten any rejection notices. A buddy of mine who interviewed three weeks ago got a rejection letter in the mail two days after he interviewed...
Good luck! Who were you, btw? I was the guy "from" ND (I'm not from ND lol, I just work here).

I am the instructor from ATP. I don't think if I remember who you are? Did Mesaba tell you what plane you will be flying?

Anyone know what they are really looking for? I've heard of people getting calls with less than 500 hours. I put in my app with 800/500 with turbine and 135 experience but got the thanks but no thanks email. Just curious.

Ditto here, coming up on 800TT/ 650 Multi and I haven't been called. They did hire one of our CFI students a few weeks ago, who interviewed at 350TT/ 50 Multi. Heard from another CFI I know that they hired a student of hers at 400TT.

Go figure.

Got a rejection e-mail from them this morning, appears they're showing a preference for very-low-timers right now.

Got a rejection e-mail from them this morning, appears they're showing a preference for very-low-timers right now.

I applied with relatively low time and haven't heard anything so I think it's really hard to say what it is they are actually looking for.

I haven't put my resume in yet. I know 4 people at the airline.
I was hired RIGHT BEFORE NWA went Chapter 11. Did the interview, got hired, and before they could give me a class date, sent me a letter explaining they had no classes due to the NWA mishap. I then went and worked at AE. Wonder if there is a spot on the application to explain this, and if a full interview/sim will be required again...

Guys...just my opinion...But I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over the "he's got 400hrs, I've got 800hrs" issue. You really can't guess what the other guy's situation is, how he interviewed, his background etc. All you can do is look at how you did and ask what you can do better next time around. The hour difference 400 vs. 800 seems like a pretty small difference to me.

Guys...just my opinion...But I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over the "he's got 400hrs, I've got 800hrs" issue. You really can't guess what the other guy's situation is, how he interviewed, his background etc. All you can do is look at how you did and ask what you can do better next time around. The hour difference 400 vs. 800 seems like a pretty small difference to me.

I can't tell the difference between a 400 guy and a 800 hour guy. Some of the worst FO's Ive flown with have ATP mins and all they talk about is "The Upgrade". To many people want the prize, but don't want to run the race.

Back