Mesa freight

$38k first year. Stay classy Mesa.

(Yes, I know they’ll have guys slobbering on their shoes for the ‘opporunity’)

43A59AB5-94C0-434F-8610-F24BD29A69ED.png

Welllll ALPA’s complicit in the negotiations and even though they’re clapped out, old-ass -400s, they really should be doing better.

Company paid Z fares too....not even buying tickets like most home based ACMI outfits do. Classy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ornstein is going to probably reduce that even, citing “see this pile of resumes I have from furloughed pilots and other pilots just wanting to fly a 737, who are willing to work for less than half of what you are getting?”

2002, lather, repeat.

Yep. In this economy he'll be inundated with resumes. I can't really blame the applicants either- $38,000/year is a lot better than $0/ year and that's what most pilots will be making for the next decade or so once all the furloughs, layoffs and "Compassages" hit.

Yep. In this economy he'll be inundated with resumes. I can't really blame the applicants either- $38,000/year is a lot better than $0/ year and that's what most pilots will be making for the next decade or so once all the furloughs, layoffs and "Compassages" hit.

For the longest time, you may remember, that was Ornstein’s standard line for why he doesn’t pay more. Oh, and I forgot to add, he will say “...I have my pick of the litter of dime-a-dozen type rated 737 guys I can pick from....all fully willing to undercut the other....”

I can picture that weasel saying it now..

When will people realize if the name on the paycheck doesn't match the name on the tail, you will never get industry leading pay due to contractor whipsaw. Someone will always be the "Mesa" in the world of bidding contracts. Its free-market capitalism.

When will people realize if the name on the paycheck doesn't match the name on the tail, you will never get industry leading pay due to contractor whipsaw. Someone will always be the "Mesa" in the world of bidding contracts. Its free-market capitalism.

Yeah, but you notice that Mesa is always “the Mesa?” Why is that? Other pilot groups seem to bounce around between good and poor contracts as a part of the normal pattern bargaining cycle. But not Mesa. Always at the bottom. Seems that Orenstein is pretty good at picking bootlickers.

Yeah, but you notice that Mesa is always “the Mesa?” Why is that? Other pilot groups seem to bounce around between good and poor contracts as a part of the normal pattern bargaining cycle. But not Mesa. Always at the bottom. Seems that Orenstein is pretty good at picking bootlickers.
I mean, isn't Mesa's reputation that he specifically hires the undesirables who can't get a job elsewhere? If only one place will employ you, you don't have a whole lot of leverage against that place.

Real question, and there is context:

I'm a pilot. I have the piece of paper from UND on my wall to prove it. Don't 8 me. I can't say with certainty that i'd do it the same way over again, though for the most part my career has been boringly stable, minus a furlough in 09 and a WARN letter in 2011. Never really made much money, but nowhere in the fine print did it say that was a guarantee. I digress.

If the going rate for 737 F/Os is going to be $38k, why bother? I'm pretty sure you can get a job sweeping the floor at some places and make that. I understand recency of experience and all that, but if one find themselves furloughed, does recency of experience matter? It's not like when the airline recalls you they say "by the way, we'll only recall you if you've been keeping current flying."

I'm a pilot, but that doesn't mean I have to fly. And for $38k, I don't know if I would.

Last edited:

I'm a pilot. I have the piece of paper from UND on my wall to prove it. Don't 8 me. I can't say with certainty that i'd do it the same way over again, though for the most part my career has been boringly stable, minus a furlough in 09 and a WARN letter in 2011. Never really made much money, but nowhere in the fine print did it say that was a guarantee. I digress.

If the going rate for 737 F/Os is going to be $38k, why bother? I'm pretty sure you can get a job sweeping the floor at some places and make that. I understand recency of experience and all that, but if one find themselves furloughed, does recency of experience matter? It's not like when the airline recalls you they say "by the way, we'll only recall you if you've been keeping current flying."

I'm a pilot, but that doesn't mean I have to fly. And for $38k, I don't know if I would.

I'm trying to absorb exactly what you're saying or what your major point is. You're a pilot. You have a piece of paper from UND on your wall to prove it. After that, I lost you.

How does YOUR piece of paper differ from ERAU, Liberty, Purdue, FIT, ATP? Help me to better understand that perspective. You're talking about 737 FO salaries. Why bother? Why don't you check and see if the military flies their versions of 737s and apply there? The going rate isn't $38k and you definitely won't be sweeping floors.

You're a pilot and it doesn't mean you have to fly. Hypothetically, you lose your medical, what's Plan B sir? Owning your own janitorial service?

I sent you a link from Jetcareers via IM.

Right, having the piece of paper from UND means that I have all my eggs in one basket. It's not different from a Riddle or anywhere else, really. it's all I have, unlike someone who might have a degree in business, psychology, or something else.

I guess what I'm saying is that for $38k I think I'd simply wait for the recall notice and go do something else.

With 12% unemployment and all signs pointing to a full-blown Depression I wouldn't count on being able to find a non-flying job right now, especially one that pays $38k/year.

Back